Win Update & SP3

Master Blaster

Win Update & SP3
I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to install
SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.

OK, how?

--
===============
Master Blaster

Alias

Re: Win Update & SP3
Master Blaster wrote:
> I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to install
> SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.
>
> OK, how?
>
> --
> ===============
> Master Blaster
> Computer System Spe******t
> IT Technician

Tick the little box that says, "do not offer this update again" or
something similar.

Alias
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Win Update & SP3
"Master Blaster" <nowhere@NOSPAM.com> schrieb:

> I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to install
> SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.
>
> OK, how?

Bye,
Freu"a WSUS isn't running, is it?"di
Master Blaster

Re: Win Update & SP3
That is an option from the Update Notification Icon in the Taskbar Tray
(with Win AutoUpdate set to Notify only..).

That is NOT what we are talking about. We are talking when you launch
Win Update from the [Start] menu or from the Tools menu in IE.

The first dialog in Win Update makes an offer to install SP3 or "Check
other updates." It is this dialog/offer we want to skip, and have Win
Updates open normally (no SP3 offer).

--
===============
Master Blaster

"Alias" <iamalias@gmailREMOVE.com> wrote in message

> Master Blaster wrote:
> > I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to install
> > SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.
> >
> > OK, how?
> >
> > --
> > ===============
> > Master Blaster
> > Computer System Spe******t
> > IT Technician
> >

> Tick the little box that says, "do not offer this update again" or
> something similar.
>
> Alias

Alias

Re: Win Update & SP3
Master Blaster wrote:
> That is an option from the Update Notification Icon in the Taskbar Tray
> (with Win AutoUpdate set to Notify only..).
>
> That is NOT what we are talking about. We are talking when you launch
> Win Update from the [Start] menu or from the Tools menu in IE.
>
> The first dialog in Win Update makes an offer to install SP3 or "Check
> other updates." It is this dialog/offer we want to skip, and have Win
> Updates open normally (no SP3 offer).
>
> --
> ===============
> Master Blaster
> Computer System Spe******t
> IT Technician

Unless they've changed it (I don't do web updates anymore since they
force one to jump through the WGA ActiveX crap), the option is there
too. I think you have to NOT check it and when you click Next, it will
offer not to show it again. You will, however, have it say that there
are hidden updates available.

Alias

> "Alias" <iamalias@gmailREMOVE.com> wrote in message
>
>> Master Blaster wrote:
>> > I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to

>> install
>> > SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.
>> >
>> > OK, how?
>> >
>> > --
>> > ===============
>> > Master Blaster
>> > Computer System Spe******t
>> > IT Technician
>> >

>> Tick the little box that says, "do not offer this update again" or
>> something similar.
>>
>> Alias

Re: Win Update & SP3
Freudi wrote:
>> I've been instructed by corporate on how to *remove the offer to install
>> SP3* when our users launch Win Update in the browser.
>>
>> OK, how?

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-e2a72099edb7

FYI (@OP):

<QP>
Q. Do these Service Pack blocks expire?
A. Yes, these blocks only function for the first 12 months after release for
each respective service pack. However, if you install the block for a
current service pack, and later deploy the service pack using the standalone
(CD/DVD or network install) installer, the registry key will remain set, and
will block future service packs during the 12 month period for those
respective service packs.
</QP>
Source & more: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc507877.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net