Windows Updater

BigDave1819

Windows Updater
I have a Windows XP system and I can't get Microsoft Windows Updater to run.
This is what happens when I start it to check for updates, I start at the 1)
Microsoft Update Today Screen 2) Goes to Update Screen now, 3) Goes to
Information Screen and says I need to Register or re-install MS Update
because it is no longer registered or on your PC. I tell it to Register or
Re-install now,I see it downloading 100% then it Registers 100%, then it
starts over again at step #1 all over again and I get no UPDATES!!! What
caused this was the removalof another program that removed something it
should not have, then I had to do a complete PC recovery.

Re: Windows Updater
Are you currently running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2?

Did you do a Repair Install, a Recovery Install or a Clean Install?

CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BigDave1819 wrote:
> I have a Windows XP system and I can't get Microsoft Windows Updater to
> run.
> This is what happens when I start it to check for updates, I start at the
> 1)
> Microsoft Update Today Screen 2) Goes to Update Screen now, 3) Goes to
> Information Screen and says I need to Register or re-install MS Update
> because it is no longer registered or on your PC. I tell it to Register or
> Re-install now,I see it downloading 100% then it Registers 100%, then it
> starts over again at step #1 all over again and I get no UPDATES!!! What
> caused this was the removalof another program that removed something it
> should not have, then I had to do a complete PC recovery.

BigDave

Re: Windows Updater
PA Bear: I am runningg WinXP SP2 and I did a Recovery Install.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you currently running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2?
>
> Did you do a Repair Install, a Recovery Install or a Clean Install?
>
> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

> Support for Windows Update:
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> BigDave1819 wrote:
> > I have a Windows XP system and I can't get Microsoft Windows Updater to
> > run.
> > This is what happens when I start it to check for updates, I start at the
> > 1)
> > Microsoft Update Today Screen 2) Goes to Update Screen now, 3) Goes to
> > Information Screen and says I need to Register or re-install MS Update
> > because it is no longer registered or on your PC. I tell it to Register or
> > Re-install now,I see it downloading 100% then it Registers 100%, then it
> > starts over again at step #1 all over again and I get no UPDATES!!! What
> > caused this was the removalof another program that removed something it
> > should not have, then I had to do a complete PC recovery.

Re: Windows Updater
Try Methods 1 and/or 2 in KB943144, Dave.

BigDave wrote:
> PA Bear: I am runningg WinXP SP2 and I did a Recovery Install.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you currently running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2?
>>
>> Did you do a Repair Install, a Recovery Install or a Clean Install?
>>
>> CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
>> Update Services installation issues:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>>
>> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
>> of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>>
>> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
>> associated with the download/install.
>>
>> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>
>> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
>> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
>> Support
>> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

>> Support for Windows Update:
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> BigDave1819 wrote:
>>> I have a Windows XP system and I can't get Microsoft Windows Updater to
>>> run.
>>> This is what happens when I start it to check for updates, I start at
>>> the
>>> 1)
>>> Microsoft Update Today Screen 2) Goes to Update Screen now, 3) Goes to
>>> Information Screen and says I need to Register or re-install MS Update
>>> because it is no longer registered or on your PC. I tell it to Register
>>> or
>>> Re-install now,I see it downloading 100% then it Registers 100%, then it
>>> starts over again at step #1 all over again and I get no UPDATES!!! What
>>> caused this was the removalof another program that removed something it
>>> should not have, then I had to do a complete PC recovery.

BigDave

Re: Windows Updater
PB Bear: Tried 1 and/or 2 in KB943144, still have issue. I did a search for
for wups2.dll
and I found several on hand (5 or 6) of them listed. Should there be that
many?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Try Methods 1 and/or 2 in KB943144, Dave.
>
> BigDave wrote:
> > PA Bear: I am runningg WinXP SP2 and I did a Recovery Install.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you currently running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2?
> >>
> >> Did you do a Repair Install, a Recovery Install or a Clean Install?
> >>
> >> CrystalBall© sez...
> >>
> >> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> >> Microsoft
> >> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> >> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> >> Update Services installation issues:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
> >>
> >> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> >> of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
> >>
> >> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
> >>
> >> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> >> associated with the download/install.
> >>
> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
> >>
> >> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> >> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
> >> Support
> >> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Windows Updater
Open a free support incident, Dave.

BigDave wrote:
> PB Bear: Tried 1 and/or 2 in KB943144, still have issue. I did a search
> for
> for wups2.dll
> and I found several on hand (5 or 6) of them listed. Should there be that
> many?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Try Methods 1 and/or 2 in KB943144, Dave.
>>
>> BigDave wrote:
>>> PA Bear: I am runningg WinXP SP2 and I did a Recovery Install.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Updater
BigDave,

The 2 instances of wups2.dll that matter are located in
WINDOWS\system32
WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Suggest you download and *save* - AU Check (v78)
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.

*** Temporarily disable the antivirus\security suite. If a 3rd party
firewall is being used, disable it and *enable* the native XP firewall.
Temp diabling the AV/sec suite includes stopping all services and
processes of it: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall
And Anti-malware Programs
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html ***

The system must be connected to the net as the tool will download the
required software components needed to allow the system to detect,
download, and install updates.
Now run au_check_v78_codeplex.exe and allow it time to complete.
Restart the system afterwards.

*** Reenable the installed AV/sec suite. If you're using a 3rd party
firewall, reenable it and then disable the XP firewall ***

Can the system update now ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten