kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash

jc2424

kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash
Found the culprit that is causing my users problems after this months
updates. After removing one by one, KB954211 was found to be the issue. It
modifies the win32k.sys file.
Problem:
User has laptop or tablet docked on a station with an External Monitor and
has extended desktop enabled.
After this update gets installed, and a user undocks the laptop/tablet the
computer blue screens and crashes and gets in a reboot cycle. If booted up
without the docking station etc.. you can remove this update and all is fine.
(some models affected: Fuji T4215, T4220, E8310's XP PRO)

I will be letting Microsoft know about this issue. This was caught in our
2nd week of testing so it didn't get out to a large group. We have about
3,000 mobile devices out of 10,000 devices in our Enterprise.
Thanks
JC

Re: kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954211).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

jc2424 wrote:
> Found the culprit that is causing my users problems after this months
> updates. After removing one by one, KB954211 was found to be the issue. It
> modifies the win32k.sys file.
> Problem:
> User has laptop or tablet docked on a station with an External Monitor and
> has extended desktop enabled.
> After this update gets installed, and a user undocks the laptop/tablet the
> computer blue screens and crashes and gets in a reboot cycle. If booted up
> without the docking station etc.. you can remove this update and all is
> fine. (some models affected: Fuji T4215, T4220, E8310's XP PRO)
>
> I will be letting Microsoft know about this issue. This was caught in our
> 2nd week of testing so it didn't get out to a large group. We have about
> 3,000 mobile devices out of 10,000 devices in our Enterprise.
> Thanks
> JC

JC

Re: kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash
Its acknowledged by Microsoft finally. Here is the update to resolve this
issue. We have tested it ourselves manually and it resovled the issue.
It was published 10/30/08. Update for Windows XP (KB959252)
Brief Description
Install this update to resolve an issue in which you receive a 0x0000008e
Stop error after you install security update KB954211 (MS08-061).

It doens't look like it can be pushed via WSUS yet. So this really doesn't
help those with 1000's of devices for their corporation. May have to use a
3rd party tool to install this for mass deployment.

Thanks,

Jason

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954211).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> jc2424 wrote:
> > Found the culprit that is causing my users problems after this months
> > updates. After removing one by one, KB954211 was found to be the issue. It
> > modifies the win32k.sys file.
> > Problem:
> > User has laptop or tablet docked on a station with an External Monitor and
> > has extended desktop enabled.
> > After this update gets installed, and a user undocks the laptop/tablet the
> > computer blue screens and crashes and gets in a reboot cycle. If booted up
> > without the docking station etc.. you can remove this update and all is
> > fine. (some models affected: Fuji T4215, T4220, E8310's XP PRO)
> >
> > I will be letting Microsoft know about this issue. This was caught in our
> > 2nd week of testing so it didn't get out to a large group. We have about
> > 3,000 mobile devices out of 10,000 devices in our Enterprise.
> > Thanks
> > JC

Master Blaster

Re: kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash
Try this:

Goto: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-061.mspx

Download and SAVE the install file for your version of Windows.

Run the update from your hard drive.

NOTE: Whenever an update fails, if you click on the "details..." at the
end of the description, a dialog opens that will have the link to the KB
article. The KB article (like the one above) will have links to a
download.

You should also bookmark this Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

Which I used to find the download for KB954221. We use this site where
I work to "Slipstream" updates for our WinXP Pro OEM build. IMPORTANT:
when using the search by KB option, you use the number ONLY, in your
case 954211.

--
===============
Master Blaster

"JC" <JC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Its acknowledged by Microsoft finally. Here is the update to resolve this
> issue. We have tested it ourselves manually and it resovled the issue.
> It was published 10/30/08. Update for Windows XP (KB959252)
> Brief Description
> Install this update to resolve an issue in which you receive a 0x0000008e
> Stop error after you install security update KB954211 (MS08-061).

> It doens't look like it can be pushed via WSUS yet. So this really doesn't
> help those with 1000's of devices for their corporation. May have to use a
> 3rd party tool to install this for mass deployment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> > to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954211).
> >
> > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> > for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> > site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >
> > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> > your usual support contacts.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
> >
> > jc2424 wrote:

> > > Found the culprit that is causing my users problems after this months
> > > updates. After removing one by one, KB954211 was found to be the issue. It
> > > modifies the win32k.sys file.
> > > Problem:
> > > User has laptop or tablet docked on a station with an External Monitor and
> > > has extended desktop enabled.
> > > After this update gets installed, and a user undocks the laptop/tablet the
> > > computer blue screens and crashes and gets in a reboot cycle. If booted up
> > > without the docking station etc.. you can remove this update and all is
> > > fine. (some models affected: Fuji T4215, T4220, E8310's XP PRO)
> > >
> > > I will be letting Microsoft know about this issue. This was caught in our
> > > 2nd week of testing so it didn't get out to a large group. We have about
> > > 3,000 mobile devices out of 10,000 devices in our Enterprise.
> > > Thanks
> > > JC

Flemming Holck

Re: kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash
I tried updating but get an error that "the language installed on your system
is different from the update language". I have Windows XP PRo in a Danish
version.

Does anybody know what I shuld do?

Do I need to manualle uninstall KB954211? If so, how do I do it?

Flemming
Software Manager
Prevas, Denmark

"Master Blaster" wrote:

> Try this:
>

> Goto: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-061.mspx
>
> Download and SAVE the install file for your version of Windows.
>
> Run the update from your hard drive.
>
> NOTE: Whenever an update fails, if you click on the "details..." at the
> end of the description, a dialog opens that will have the link to the KB
> article. The KB article (like the one above) will have links to a
> download.
>
> You should also bookmark this Microsoft site:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
>
> Which I used to find the download for KB954221. We use this site where
> I work to "Slipstream" updates for our WinXP Pro OEM build. IMPORTANT:
> when using the search by KB option, you use the number ONLY, in your
> case 954211.
>
> --
> ===============
> Master Blaster
> Computer System Spe******t
> IT Technician
>

> "JC" <JC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Its acknowledged by Microsoft finally. Here is the update to resolve this
> > issue. We have tested it ourselves manually and it resovled the issue.
> > It was published 10/30/08. Update for Windows XP (KB959252)
> > Brief Description
> > Install this update to resolve an issue in which you receive a 0x0000008e
> > Stop error after you install security update KB954211 (MS08-061).
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
> >
> > It doens't look like it can be pushed via WSUS yet. So this really doesn't
> > help those with 1000's of devices for their corporation. May have to use a
> > 3rd party tool to install this for mass deployment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >

> > > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> > >
> > > Support for Windows Update:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> > >
> > > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > > security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> > > to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954211).
> > >
> > > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> > > for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> > > site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> > >
> > > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> > > your usual support contacts.
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > > AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Clyde

RE: kb954211 causes mobile devices w/extended desktop to crash
Come on Micro$oft!! How can you have an update (KB954211) available through
WSUS that breaks something, but not have the update (KB959252) that fixes it
available through WSUS? Thanks! We all needed more work to do!!