Windows Vista update error Code C0000096

Costas

Windows Vista update error Code C0000096
Hi,

I have a Vista Business computer, 32 bit (at a client site, so I don't have
direct access to it other than remotely), with SP1 and member of an SBS 2003
R2 domain. I think something got corrupt and the updates stopped
installing.

I tried to reverse to a previous saved restore point but the problem was not
solved. I deleted the 'Software Distribution' folder and that didn't work
either. The error is: "Updates failed to install. Code C0000096". The
interesting thing is that some Office updates were installed but not 5 Vista
updates from the recent patch distribution.

The errors logged in the Event Viewer are: event id 20 and 4375. I
checked the CBS.log but I couldn't come up with anything useful. I also
tried to manually download and install the updates that had problem but no
luck.

Any ideas?

--
Costas
http://costas.cpstechgroup.com

Re: Windows Vista update error Code C0000096
See this archived reply to a similar thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5288a24951fdb5
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Costas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Vista Business computer, 32 bit (at a client site, so I don't
> have
> direct access to it other than remotely), with SP1 and member of an SBS
> 2003
> R2 domain. I think something got corrupt and the updates stopped
> installing.
>
> I tried to reverse to a previous saved restore point but the problem was
> not
> solved. I deleted the 'Software Distribution' folder and that didn't work
> either. The error is: "Updates failed to install. Code C0000096". The
> interesting thing is that some Office updates were installed but not 5
> Vista
> updates from the recent patch distribution.
>
> The errors logged in the Event Viewer are: event id 20 and 4375. I
> checked the CBS.log but I couldn't come up with anything useful. I also
> tried to manually download and install the updates that had problem but no
> luck.
>
> Any ideas?

Costas

Re: Windows Vista update error Code C0000096
Thanks for the reply. The module installer is already in 'Manual'

--

> See this archived reply to a similar thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5288a24951fdb5
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Costas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Vista Business computer, 32 bit (at a client site, so I don't
>> have
>> direct access to it other than remotely), with SP1 and member of an SBS
>> 2003
>> R2 domain. I think something got corrupt and the updates stopped
>> installing.
>>
>> I tried to reverse to a previous saved restore point but the problem was
>> not
>> solved. I deleted the 'Software Distribution' folder and that didn't
>> work
>> either. The error is: "Updates failed to install. Code C0000096". The
>> interesting thing is that some Office updates were installed but not 5
>> Vista
>> updates from the recent patch distribution.
>>
>> The errors logged in the Event Viewer are: event id 20 and 4375. I
>> checked the CBS.log but I couldn't come up with anything useful. I also
>> tried to manually download and install the updates that had problem but
>> no
>> luck.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows Vista update error Code C0000096
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Costas" <cpstechgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message news:F4160A3E-AB30-4235-9F05-586F61340541@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Vista Business computer, 32 bit (at a client site, so I don't have
> direct access to it other than remotely), with SP1 and member of an SBS 2003
> R2 domain. I think something got corrupt and the updates stopped
> installing.
>
> I tried to reverse to a previous saved restore point but the problem was not
> solved. I deleted the 'Software Distribution' folder and that didn't work
> either.

> The error is: "Updates failed to install. Code C0000096".

Are you sure about that code? <eg>

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x96
150
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

System trace information was not specified in your CONFIG.SYS file, or tracing is disallowed.
</cmd_output>

I haven't seen CONFIG.SYS used since Win95 days...
and don't know how one would specify a system trace anyway. ; )
Perhaps it could be an oblique reference to the event logs?
E.g. are they full and not wrappable?

> The interesting thing is that some Office updates were installed but not 5 Vista
> updates from the recent patch distribution.
>
> The errors logged in the Event Viewer are: event id 20 and 4375.

In which log? For which Event Source? How were you filtering?

In any case it looks as if you would need to provide more detail
if this was especially relevant. (Looks more like a summary symptom
to me.)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc756240.aspx

(Live Search for
"event id" 4375 site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
Message: Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package %1 (%2) into %3(%4) state

</quote>

> I checked the CBS.log but I couldn't come up with anything useful.

Did you look for the decimal equivalent of the last half of
the hex codes that you are really getting too?

> I also tried to manually download and install the updates that had problem but no luck.
>
> Any ideas?

Remotely? No. Otherwise I would try using ProcMon
to supplement whatever diagnostics that you are getting.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---