Windows Update error code 80244019

murlon123

Windows Update error code 80244019
Hi,
I am using windows vista 32bit home premium SP1 and whenever i try to update
windows i am getting the error code 80244019

If i try to update my windows defender i am getting the error code 0x80244019

How can i repair this error...Pl help me out

Thanks

Muru

murlon@hotmail.com
Engel

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
Hello Muro,

Windows Defender

Are you getting the regular monthly sets of security updates, including the
Malicious Software Removal Tool, for example?

Go ahead and download\update from here

<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Go to the Microsoft address specified, and in the right column, download the
32-bit definitions.

Yours is the second query in recent days with this same version number--so I
think there may have been a problem.

Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.

Let us know what hªppens.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"murlon123" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using windows vista 32bit home premium SP1 and whenever i try to update
> windows i am getting the error code 80244019
>
> If i try to update my windows defender i am getting the error code 0x80244019
>
> How can i repair this error...Pl help me out
>
> Thanks
>
> Muru
>
> murlon@hotmail.com

murlon123

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
The cause of error 80244019 was a Trojan Virus!!

It was stopping me to go to microsoft sites and i was not able to download
anything from microsoft...

I went to "Local Area Connection" and opened the properties, then the
properties of the item "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and noticed
that instead of having selected "Obtain DNS server address automatically", it
was using:

Preferred DNS server: 85.255.113.122
Alternate DNS server: 85.255.112.83

I removed the 2 DNS addresses and changed the option back to "Obtain DNS
server address automatically" but it wouldn't keep it. I did this several
times without luck.

If you Google the first address "85.255.113.122" you'll find some articles
describing how to get rid of malicious software from your computer and a
Trojan virus called DNSchanger that installs some files
(c:\resycled\boot.com; c:\windows\system32\kdtjz.exe) and modifies your
registry to redirect to these addresses:

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service
s\...\Parameters\Tcpip\NameServer = 85.255.113.122,85.255.112.83

See this link:
PC Pitstop Forums > dnschanger found, microsoft money box keeps appearing

I'm using Norton Anti Virus and it didn't detect the Trojan virus, so I
downloaded HijackThis and "Spybot - Search & Destroy", which are for free. I
also got a copy of "PC Tools Spyware Doctor".

I removed all cookies and temporary internet files from Internet Explorer
and Firefox. Then I rebooted my computer in safe mode and run all the
anti-virus and anti-spyware I had downloded, and followed their instructions.

After removing the Trojan virus, I reset my DNS address and flushed it.
You'll probably need "elevated" permissions...to do this you need to right
click the "cmd.exe" file to "Run as Administrator" and then type:

>ipconfig /flushdns

I also upgraded IE to version 8-beta. Then finally was able to update
windows with no errors !!!

Hope this helps, I spent a lot of time trying to fix this one,

Yesterday microsoft announced the security update for almost all the OS ...I
have installed that too and now i am able to update windows vista and windows
defender

These days we can't rely on any software or OS

Murlon123

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Muro,
>
> Windows Defender
>
> Are you getting the regular monthly sets of security updates, including the
> Malicious Software Removal Tool, for example?
>
> Go ahead and download\update from here
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
>
> Go to the Microsoft address specified, and in the right column, download the
> 32-bit definitions.
>
> Yours is the second query in recent days with this same version number--so I
> think there may have been a problem.
>
> Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.
>

> Let us know what hªppens.
>

> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>
> "murlon123" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am using windows vista 32bit home premium SP1 and whenever i try to update
> > windows i am getting the error code 80244019
> >
> > If i try to update my windows defender i am getting the error code 0x80244019
> >
> > How can i repair this error...Pl help me out
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Muru
> >
> > murlon@hotmail.com

Engel

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
Hi Murlon123,

Glad to hear you got it.

Thank you for the feedback,

-=-

"murlon123" wrote:

> [...]

> > Malicious Software Removal Tool, for example?
> >
> > Go ahead and download\update from here
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
> >
> > Go to the Microsoft address specified, and in the right column, download the
> > 32-bit definitions.
> >
> > Yours is the second query in recent days with this same version number--so I
> > think there may have been a problem.
> >
> > Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.
> >

> > Let us know what hªppens.
> >

> > Ǝиçεl
> > -=-
> >
> > "murlon123" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I am using windows vista 32bit home premium SP1 and whenever i try to update
> > > windows i am getting the error code 80244019
> > >
> > > If i try to update my windows defender i am getting the error code 0x80244019
> > >
> > > How can i repair this error...Pl help me out

AjTanas

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]

> > have installed that too and now i am able to update windows vista and windows
> > defender
> >
> > These days we can't rely on any software or OS
> >
> > Murlon123
> >

> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Muro,
> > >
> > > Windows Defender
> > >
> > > Are you getting the regular monthly sets of security updates, including the
> > > Malicious Software Removal Tool, for example?
> > >
> > > Go ahead and download\update from here
> > >
> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
> > >
> > > Go to the Microsoft address specified, and in the right column, download the
> > > 32-bit definitions.
> > >
> > > Yours is the second query in recent days with this same version number--so I
> > > think there may have been a problem.
> > >
> > > Putting in the definitions from the security portal should fix this.

AjTanas

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019

Hey Murlon,

It would be nice of you to tell us which Trojan you detected, so others can
find it more easily.
Your post doesn't state which program worked, and what you removed...
I would very much like to know that, as I appear to have the same problem
you had.

Many thanks in advance!

murlon123

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in my reply...If u see some fishy DNS entries in your
network settings , then its a problem...Better you restore your windows
through a good restore point or scan with microsoft defender

I am not sure which trojan caused this problem...Let me know if u need
anymore help

"AjTanas" wrote:

> Hey Murlon,
>
> It would be nice of you to tell us which Trojan you detected, so others can
> find it more easily.
> Your post doesn't state which program worked, and what you removed...
> I would very much like to know that, as I appear to have the same problem
> you had.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

lsm35

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
AJTanas,

I sympathize, because I've been troubleshooting this problem for days. I
first noticed something was fishy when my Windows Defender refused to update,
and then every time I tried to update using the Microsoft website, it said
the downloads I needed didn't exist. The problem is almost certainly what
murlon has already referenced, a DNSChanger trojan virus. I found this
website (http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1150) on the virus very
useful for understanding what was going on.

Murlon's explanations aren't very clear, but that's because there doesn't
seem to be a straight-forward answer. I essentially did the same thing. I
downloaded a bunch of anti-viral and anti-spyware software, including Spybot,
a-squared, Ad-Aware, and HijackThis (all free) and ran all of them, on top of
my usual McAfee. It wasn't until I had done all this and this flushed my DNS
using the cmd.exe command prompt "flushDNS" that somehow the problem went
away and Windows Defender was able to update. It's a little hard to be more
specific because there was no point during this process where I got a
notification from one of these programs saying "Suchandsuch has detected
DNSChanger.gen" or anything like that. I assume it's because the virus was
hiding out on my computer under some other name. In any case, this method
seems to work for whatever reason.

Hope that helps!
murlon123

RE: Windows Update error code 80244019
Ya its coz of the DNSChanger trojan virus...
Sometimes we cant really rely on the anti-spyware software, including Spybot,
a-squared, Ad-Aware, and HijackThis ...They may mislead us...

The best thing we can do is Windows restore through a good restore point....

"lsm35" wrote:

> AJTanas,
>
> I sympathize, because I've been troubleshooting this problem for days. I
> first noticed something was fishy when my Windows Defender refused to update,
> and then every time I tried to update using the Microsoft website, it said
> the downloads I needed didn't exist. The problem is almost certainly what
> murlon has already referenced, a DNSChanger trojan virus. I found this
> website (http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1150) on the virus very
> useful for understanding what was going on.
>
> Murlon's explanations aren't very clear, but that's because there doesn't
> seem to be a straight-forward answer. I essentially did the same thing. I
> downloaded a bunch of anti-viral and anti-spyware software, including Spybot,
> a-squared, Ad-Aware, and HijackThis (all free) and ran all of them, on top of
> my usual McAfee. It wasn't until I had done all this and this flushed my DNS
> using the cmd.exe command prompt "flushDNS" that somehow the problem went
> away and Windows Defender was able to update. It's a little hard to be more
> specific because there was no point during this process where I got a
> notification from one of these programs saying "Suchandsuch has detected
> DNSChanger.gen" or anything like that. I assume it's because the virus was
> hiding out on my computer under some other name. In any case, this method
> seems to work for whatever reason.
>
> Hope that helps!

godsangel2006 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update error code 80244019
Hey guys!
Please, help me out! I've got the same problem with error code 80244019!

I followed all the steps which Murlon suggested, but unfortunately my Windows defender still doesn't work. I've tried to restore my system, but still no success.

I can't download anything from Microsoft web-page..

Can anyone explain step by step what I should do to fix this problem? Would be really grateful for it!

Nataliia

Last edited by godsangel2006 : 11-12-2008 at 19:42.