ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08

ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx

<QP>
This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.

Critical Security Bulletin (1)

Windows Bulletin

- Affected Software:

- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
Edition Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
- Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
- Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
Core installation affected)
- Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
Core installation affected)
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems

- Impact: Remote Code Execution
- Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
- Version Number: 1.0

2008 Microsoft Corporation
</QP>

Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
(US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast at
the link above.

[Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Engel

RE: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
Hello Robear,

There are here:

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB958644)
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.45.1012.0)

Thank you
-=-

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>
> <QP>
> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>
> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> ================================================== ==========
>
> Windows Bulletin
>
> - Affected Software:
>
> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>
> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> - Version Number: 1.0
>
> © 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> </QP>
>
> Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
> out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
> (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast at
> the link above.
>
> [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
> newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
The update is available from the links on the Security Bulletin NOW !
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-067.mspx

In addition, the below shows the severity rating of this out-of-band
update. For those systems that it's deemed Critical for, be
***strongly advised*** that it should be installed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The vulnerability ***is*** already being actively exploited, albeit in
small numbers. That will change *** very soon ***.

Windows Operating System and Components

Microsoft Windows 2000
Bulletin Identifier
Windows

Aggregate Severity Rating
Critical

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
(Critical)

Windows XP
Bulletin Identifier
Windows

Aggregate Severity Rating
Critical

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
(Critical)

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
Edition Service Pack 2
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
Edition Service Pack 2
(Critical)

Windows Server 2003
Bulletin Identifier
Windows

Aggregate Severity Rating
Critical

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
(Critical)

Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Service Pack 2
Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Service Pack 2
(Critical)

Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems
Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems
(Critical)

Windows Vista
Bulletin Identifier
Windows

Aggregate Severity Rating
Important

Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
(Important)

Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
(Important)

Windows Server 2008
Bulletin Identifier
Windows

Aggregate Severity Rating
Important

Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems
Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems*
(Important)

Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems
Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems*
(Important)

Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
(Important)

IF anyone has an issue either installing this update, the update is
reoffered, or there are issues after installing it, please contact MS
for *** no-charge *** technical support:

" Support
Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates.
International customers can receive support from their local
Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
associated with security updates. For more information about how to
contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support
Web site.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>
> <QP>
> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>
> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> ================================================== ==========
>
> Windows Bulletin
>
> - Affected Software:
>
> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008
> Server Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>
> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> - Version Number: 1.0
>
> 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> </QP>
>
> Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
> out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific
> Time (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin
> Webcast at the link above.
>
> [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
> newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]

Re: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
[Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users; Windows Update newsgroups;
Followup To set for Security newsgroup]

MS08-067 Vulnerability in Server Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(958644)
<QP>
Executive Summary

This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in the
Server service. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if an
affected system received a specially crafted RPC request. On Microsoft
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 systems, an attacker could
exploit this vulnerability without authentication to run arbitrary code. It
is possible that this vulnerability could be used in the crafting of a
wormable exploit. Firewall best practices and standard default firewall
configurations can help protect network resources from attacks that
originate outside the enterprise perimeter.

This security update is rated Critical for all supported editions of
Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and rated Important
for all supported editions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008...
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx

!! => Malware Protection Center: Get Protected, Now!
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...ected-now.aspx
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>
> <QP>
> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>
> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> ================================================== ==========
>
> Windows Bulletin
>
> - Affected Software:
>
> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack
> 1
> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>
> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> - Version Number: 1.0
>
> 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> </QP>

<snip>

InfoSecGuru

RE: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
does this affect XP Embedded?

==================================

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>
> <QP>
> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>
> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> ================================================== ==========
>
> Windows Bulletin
>
> - Affected Software:
>
> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>
> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> - Version Number: 1.0
>
> © 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> </QP>
>
> Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
> out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
> (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast at
> the link above.
>
> [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
> newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

josephr38@hotmail.com

RE: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
We have received unconfirmed reports from other companies that the Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS08-067 caused some issues after installation. HAs anyone
else heard or experienced any issues with the install??

Thanks,
Joseph

"InfoSecGuru" wrote:

> does this affect XP Embedded?
>
> ==================================
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
> >
> > <QP>
> > This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> > Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
> >
> > Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> > ================================================== ==========
> >
> > Windows Bulletin
> >
> > - Affected Software:
> >
> > - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> > - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> > - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> > Edition Service Pack 2
> > - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> > Pack 2
> > - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> > Service Pack 2
> > - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> > Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> > - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> > - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1
> > - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> > Core installation affected)
> > - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> > Core installation affected)
> > - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
> >
> > - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> > - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> > - Version Number: 1.0
> >
> > © 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> > </QP>
> >
> > Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
> > out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
> > (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast at
> > the link above.
> >
> > [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
> > newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
<QP>
In terms of the security update itself, we’re seeing strong deployments
worldwide. We also have no reports of known issues with the security update
at this time.
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms08-067.aspx

That being said, free support is available should you run into problems:

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:
> We have received unconfirmed reports from other companies that the
> Microsoft
> Security Bulletin MS08-067 caused some issues after installation. HAs
> anyone else heard or experienced any issues with the install??
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph
>
> "InfoSecGuru" wrote:
>
>> does this affect XP Embedded?
>>
>> ==================================
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>>>
>>> <QP>
>>> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
>>> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>>>
>>> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
>>> ================================================== ==========
>>>
>>> Windows Bulletin
>>>
>>> - Affected Software:
>>>
>>> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
>>> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional
>>> x64
>>> Edition Service Pack 2
>>> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
>>> Pack 2
>>> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64
>>> Edition
>>> Service Pack 2
>>> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
>>> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
>>> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service
>>> Pack 1
>>> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
>>> Core installation affected)
>>> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008
>>> Server Core installation affected)
>>> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>>>
>>> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
>>> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
>>> - Version Number: 1.0
>>>
>>> © 2008 Microsoft Corporation
>>> </QP>
>>>
>>> Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
>>> out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific
>>> Time
>>> (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast
>>> at
>>> the link above.
>>>
>>> [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
>>> newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:

> We have received unconfirmed reports from other companies that the Microsoft
> Security Bulletin MS08-067 caused some issues after installation. HAs anyone
> else heard or experienced any issues with the install??

What PA Bear said. Also, we know that in at least some cases problems thought
to be caused by MS08-067 were actually caused by a third-party software update
that was released around the same time.

Harry.

Re: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
Microsoft Security Advisory (958963): Exploit Code Published Affecting the
Server Service
<QP>
Microsoft is aware that detailed exploit code demonstrating code execution
has been published on the Internet for the vulnerability that is addressed
by security update MS08-067. This exploit code demonstrates code execution
on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Microsoft is aware of
limited, targeted active attacks that use this exploit code. At this time,
there are no self-replicating attacks associated with this vulnerability.
Microsoft has activated its Software Security Incident Response Process
(SSIRP) and is continuing to investigate this issue.

Our investigation of this exploit code has verified that it does not affect
customers who have installed the updates detailed in MS08-067 on their
computers. Microsoft continues to recommend that customers apply the
updates to the affected products by enabling the Automatic Updates feature
in Windows.

We continue to work with our Microsoft Security Response Alliance (MSRA) and
Microsoft Active Protections Program (MAPP) partners so that their products
can provide additional protections for customers. We have updated our
Windows Live Safety Scanner, Windows Live One Care, and Forefront security
products with protections for customers. We have also been working with our
partners in the Global Infrastructure Alliance for Internet Safety (GIAIS)
program to take steps to help keep attacks from spreading.

Customers who believe they are affected can contact Customer Service and
Support. Contact CSS in North America for help with security update issues
or viruses at no charge using the PC Safety line (1-866-PCSAFETY).
International customers may request help by using any method found at this
location: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx (click on
the select your region hyperlink in the first paragraph).

Mitigating Factors:

Customers who have installed the MS08-067 security update are not affected
by this vulnerability.

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 systems are primarily at
risk from this vulnerability. Customers running these platforms should
deploy MS08-067 as soon as possible.

While installation of the update is the recommended action, customers who
have applied the mitigations as identified in MS08-067 will have minimized
their exposure and potential exploitability against an attack.
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/958963.mspx

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-oct.mspx
>
> <QP>
> This is an advance notification of an out-of-band security bulletin that
> Microsoft is intending to release on Thursday, 23 October 2008.
>
> Critical Security Bulletin (1)
> ================================================== ==========
>
> Windows Bulletin
>
> - Affected Software:
>
> - Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> - Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
> Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
> Service Pack 2
> - Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows
> Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium based Systems
> - Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> - Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack
> 1
> - Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (Windows Server 2008 Server
> Core installation affected)
> - Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
>
> - Impact: Remote Code Execution
> - Restart Requirement: The update requires a restart
> - Version Number: 1.0
>
> 2008 Microsoft Corporation
> </QP>
>
> Microsoft will host a webcast to address customer questions on this
> out-of-band security bulletin on October 23, 2008, at 1:00 PM Pacific Time
> (US & Canada). Register for this out-of-band Security Bulletin Webcast at
> the link above.
>
> [Crossposted to Security, Security Home Users, and Windows Update
> newsgroups; Followup To set for Security newsgroup]

WAB

RE: ANN: Out-of-band Security Update to be released 23 Oct-08
On Monday morning after the update, about 50 pc's in my Domain OU all
received the following error when trying to run windows or Microsoft
update!!!
Note:Other OU's reporting windows update failing!!
Of the three option given for (error number 0x800A0046), the script in the
second option restore the ability to run Microsoft update, but We hade to go
through the "start using Microsoft updates" as if it had never been used!
Note: doesn't always survive reboot!

Nobody seams to know if it;s waht is causing it, the MS patch, the AD or
both??
Wab

Please change your Internet Explorer security settings
To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable
userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and
then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again.
1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. Click the Security tab, click the Internet security zone icon, and
then click Custom Level.
3. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
4. Under Userdata persistence , select Enable.
5. Click OK and when the security warning dialog box appears, click
Yes.
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
0x800A0046) yourself.