Re: What's SP3 for, and...?

[X-post to WU NG]

WinXP SP3 has nothing to do with Outlook Express, Adela.

I can tell you how to stop the constand reminder to install WinXP SP3 but
that would involve removing the ~35MB installer that's already downloaded
(which would only have to be downloaded again later), so why not just
install it and get it over with?

> Also, I read quite a few comments that PS3 brought them problems, so is it
> REALLY necessary to install it?

99% of WinXP users have installed WinXP SP3 without any problems and only
the minority who have had problems bother to post about SP3.

If SP3 isn't installed by April 2010, your machine won't be offered any more
security updates. Since you're going to have to install it eventually and
since there's free support for installing SP3 (see below), why not do it
now?

> ...May I know what exactly does PS3 if I
> install it?

SP3 is essentially a roll-up of post-SP2 critical updates and hotfixes.
See...

List of fixes that are included in WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Adela wrote:
> Hello, once a message poped up to install SP3, and since it asked whether
> "install now or later", I clicked on "later"...but the msg kept appearing
> every few minutes. How can I stop it from appearing, and where do I go to
> get it when I'm ready to install it?
>
> Also, I read quite a few comments that PS3 brought them problems, so is it
> REALLY necessary to install it? May I know what exactly does PS3 if I
> install it?
>
> Thanks so much! Adela

Adela

Re: What's SP3 for, and...?
Thanks you so much Pa Bear, as I said to Bruce, I better do it now and get
it over with as you so wisely suggested, I'll read all the links and luckily
I still have time to do it without rush. Thanks again! Adela