Re: Windows XP service pack 3 will not install

Re: Windows XP service pack 3 will not install
[Crosspost to WU newsgroup]

Was a beta build of SP3 ever installed on the machine or is one still
installed?

Did you just reinstall Windows on the machine in question? (I know you've
said in a later reply that it's running WinXP SP2.)

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

=======

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

S Dotson wrote:
> Hi, I have three computers in my home and two of them download and
> installed
> sp3 without any problem. The third (all of them are using xp pro)
> downloaded the sp3 update and when the computer was rebooting, the message
> came up "set up was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration." I tried
> disabling my antivirus program and installing sp3 again that the same
> thing
> occurred. I ordered the CD from Microsoft and tried installing sp3 again.
> Same thing happened again. I went to C:/windows and looked in the spv3
> file
> and found the following:
>
> 449.656: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.
>

> 250.297: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 251.281: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 251.375: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 251.812: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 252.469: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>

> 257.984: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 259.422: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 259.594: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 260.344: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct.
>
> 261.438: Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file
> is
> not correct
>

> Can anyone help me with this update.
>
> Thanks, Starlin

Robert Aldwinckle

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O8iwHA%23MJHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> [Crosspost to WU newsgroup]

Apparently this incident was resolved by booting in safe mode...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...968&sloc=en-us

BTW I'm wondering if XP Perf & Maint might have been
a more relevant newsgroup to cross-post this to? ; )

Robert
---