Moving machines to new WSUS Computer Group from old Group

John

Moving machines to new WSUS Computer Group from old Group
Hello All,

I have All Computers and Unassigned Computers as Not Approved with
Client-Side Targeting through GPO. When I Approve Updates, I have to specify
which Computer Group gets which specific Updates.

If I create a new WSUS Computer Group and move machines into it from their
original Group, how do I know that the previously approved Updates from the
old Group will follow since the new Computer Group I have shows Not Approved
(Inherited)?

Also, if I have a new imaged machine placed into the new Computer Group, how
do I know if it will obtain any Updates at all because of the Group showing
Not Approved (Inherited)?

Thanks,
John

Re: Moving machines to new WSUS Computer Group from old Group
Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
--
~PA Bear

John wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have All Computers and Unassigned Computers as Not Approved with
> Client-Side Targeting through GPO. When I Approve Updates, I have to
> specify
> which Computer Group gets which specific Updates.
>
> If I create a new WSUS Computer Group and move machines into it from their
> original Group, how do I know that the previously approved Updates from
> the
> old Group will follow since the new Computer Group I have shows Not
> Approved
> (Inherited)?
>
> Also, if I have a new imaged machine placed into the new Computer Group,
> how
> do I know if it will obtain any Updates at all because of the Group
> showing
> Not Approved (Inherited)?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Harry Johnston [MVP]

John wrote:

> I have All Computers and Unassigned Computers as Not Approved with
> Client-Side Targeting through GPO. When I Approve Updates, I have to specify
> which Computer Group gets which specific Updates.
>
> If I create a new WSUS Computer Group and move machines into it from their
> original Group, how do I know that the previously approved Updates from the
> old Group will follow since the new Computer Group I have shows Not Approved
> (Inherited)?

It isn't clear what you mean by "follow". If the updates have already been
installed on the clients, they won't be removed ... is that what you wanted to know?

> Also, if I have a new imaged machine placed into the new Computer Group, how
> do I know if it will obtain any Updates at all because of the Group showing
> Not Approved (Inherited)?

It won't. If you want it to obtain updates, you'll need to approve the updates
for the new computer group.

Harry.
John

Re: Moving machines to new WSUS Computer Group from old Group
Harry,

I appreciate your reply.

1) What I mean by "follow" is since the new Computer Group I have shows Not
Approved (Inherited), how will WSUS know these machines' updates were pushed
to them when they were in their original Computer Group? (I know the Updates
will not uninstall).

2) In reference to your 2nd comment, I believe that I'll need to approve
Updates to the the new Computer Group all over again even though the Updates
were Approved to these machines in their original Computer group? (I surely
don't want to effect other Computer Groups.) This is hundreds of Updates.

Thank you,
John

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > I have All Computers and Unassigned Computers as Not Approved with
> > Client-Side Targeting through GPO. When I Approve Updates, I have to specify
> > which Computer Group gets which specific Updates.
> >
> > If I create a new WSUS Computer Group and move machines into it from their
> > original Group, how do I know that the previously approved Updates from the
> > old Group will follow since the new Computer Group I have shows Not Approved
> > (Inherited)?

> It isn't clear what you mean by "follow". If the updates have already been
> installed on the clients, they won't be removed ... is that what you wanted to know?
>
> > Also, if I have a new imaged machine placed into the new Computer Group, how
> > do I know if it will obtain any Updates at all because of the Group showing
> > Not Approved (Inherited)?

> It won't. If you want it to obtain updates, you'll need to approve the updates
> for the new computer group.
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

John wrote:

> 1) What I mean by "follow" is since the new Computer Group I have shows Not
> Approved (Inherited), how will WSUS know these machines' updates were pushed
> to them when they were in their original Computer Group?

It won't ... but what difference does it make? I think you need to explain in
detail what problem you are anticipating.

> 2) In reference to your 2nd comment, I believe that I'll need to approve
> Updates to the the new Computer Group all over again even though the Updates
> were Approved to these machines in their original Computer group? (I surely
> don't want to effect other Computer Groups.) This is hundreds of Updates.

You can streamline the process a bit by creating a custom view in the WSUS
console that shows you only updates approved for the original group. You'll
still need to select them one by one to approve them for the new group, assuming
they have different approval settings for other groups.

The other possibility is that you don't really need all those updates approved.
If the install process for new machines has the current set of updates
slipstreamed, only new updates will need to be approved. If it doesn't, it
should - give it serious consideration.

Harry.
John

Re: Moving machines to new WSUS Computer Group from old Group
Harry,

I appreciate your reply again.

You summed up my two questions together. I'm not anticipating any issues,
other than Updates not going to the new Group. The custom view in the
original group helps a lot. We've slipstreamed each Service Pack for XP as
well. I surely wouldn't have expected to select each Update individually
though. WOW. It would be nice to select multiple Updates to approve for the
new Group without effecting other groups (maybe WSUS v4 ?).

Thank you for your assistance,
John