Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3

jdnickell

Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3
I get the subject failure code when I try to update to WinXP SP3. I've
downloaded the SP3 code as suggested but still can't install it. I'm not
sure what I'm doing but it seems a simple task so don't understand why the
update failure and error code.
Help Please
jdnickell

Re: Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jdnickell wrote:
> I get the subject failure code when I try to update to WinXP SP3. I've
> downloaded the SP3 code as suggested but still can't install it. I'm not
> sure what I'm doing but it seems a simple task so don't understand why the
> update failure and error code.
> Help Please
> jdnickell

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3
0x8024600A WU_E_DM_DOWNLOADLOCATIONCHANGED
A download must be restarted because the location of the source of the
download has changed.

You've download the full SP3 package and the error is still occurring ?

Please do these steps prior to attempting another installation of SP3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

If SP3 still will not install:

" Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
is available.

Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

jdnickell wrote:

> I get the subject failure code when I try to update to WinXP SP3. I've
> downloaded the SP3 code as suggested but still can't install it. I'm not
> sure what I'm doing but it seems a simple task so don't understand why the
> update failure and error code.
> Help Please
> jdnickell

jdnickell

Re: Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3
Thanks PA, sorry to be late in replying, headaches prevented earlier
reaction. I'll work this over and get back to the group if I need more
information.
jdnickell

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jdnickell wrote:
> > I get the subject failure code when I try to update to WinXP SP3. I've
> > downloaded the SP3 code as suggested but still can't install it. I'm not
> > sure what I'm doing but it seems a simple task so don't understand why the
> > update failure and error code.
> > Help Please
> > jdnickell

jdnickell

Re: Update failure 0x8024600A WinXP SP3
Thank you for the reply MowGreen. YES, I'd been told to download it because
we didn't know the validity of the update on my computer. I'll go back and
work the solutions you provided and get back if I need more information.
jdnickell