Re: KB905474 WGA

[X-post to WU newsgroup]

One down, many more to go:

Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine? Is
Automatic Updates enabled?

Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?

(if any)?

What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related ActiveX
Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error messages in
their entirety.
--
~PA Bear

Jason wrote:
> I've got SP2
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> KB905474 is not the WGA-related software you need to install to be able
>> use Windows Update website, Jason.
>>
>> Furthermore, you must be running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3 in order to use
>> Windows Update website or Automatic Updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> I can't download WGA. I have been able to download updates by going to
>>> custom updates on the updates page but there is no way to install this
>>> update from there.

Michael Jennings

Re: KB905474 WGA
I think Jason wants WGA Notifications and WU hasn't got it.
WU isn't supposed to offer it to XP Home users - just to XP Pro.
There's a download link at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474
and I'm pretty sure WGA Notifications would install in XP Home even
though WU may not offer it. Jason said, "I want it." WGAN can be got.

> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>
> One down, many more to go:
>
> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine? Is
> Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What anti-spyware
>
> What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related ActiveX
> Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error messages in
> their entirety.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Jason wrote:
>> I've got SP2
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> KB905474 is not the WGA-related software you need to install to be able to
>>> use Windows Update website, Jason.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, you must be running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3 in order to use
>>> Windows Update website or Automatic Updates.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: KB905474 WGA
[If you read his other threads in WinXP General, there's much more to the
story and I'd very much doubt he's referring to KB905474, Michael.]

Michael Jennings wrote:
> I think Jason wants WGA Notifications and WU hasn't got it.
> WU isn't supposed to offer it to XP Home users - just to XP Pro.
> There's a download link at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474
> and I'm pretty sure WGA Notifications would install in XP Home even
> though WU may not offer it. Jason said, "I want it." WGAN can be got.

>> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>>
>> One down, many more to go:
>>
>> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine?
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall (if any)? What happens when you accept the prompt to install the
>> WGA-related ActiveX
>> Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error messages
>> in their entirety.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> I've got SP2

Michael Jennings

Re: KB905474 WGA
Sorry - I'm fixated on KB905474. OTOH, he might as well add
Notifications to the stew prior to formatting. What's that up in the Subject?

> [If you read his other threads in WinXP General, there's much more to the
> story and I'd very much doubt he's referring to KB905474, Michael.]

Jason

Re: KB905474 WGA
I used Windows Update web page. There was no link there to download and save
the file (to put on CD). So on every computer I have to download and install
in one go instead off the CD.
> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>
> One down, many more to go:
>
> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine?
> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>
> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall (if any)?
>
> What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related ActiveX
> Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error messages
> in their entirety.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Jason wrote:
>> I've got SP2
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> KB905474 is not the WGA-related software you need to install to be able
>>> use Windows Update website, Jason.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, you must be running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3 in order to use
>>> Windows Update website or Automatic Updates.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jason

Re: KB905474 WGA
Using XP Pro - shall try page. Thanks, I then got to
"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I think Jason wants WGA Notifications and WU hasn't got it.
> WU isn't supposed to offer it to XP Home users - just to XP Pro.
> There's a download link at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474
> and I'm pretty sure WGA Notifications would install in XP Home even
> though WU may not offer it. Jason said, "I want it." WGAN can be got.

>> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>>
>> One down, many more to go:
>>
>> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine?
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall (if any)?
>>
>> What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related
>> ActiveX Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error
>> messages in their entirety.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> I've got SP2

Michael Jennings

Re: KB905474 WGA
You found the download button at the long URL you got to, I suppose.
WU isn't offering WGA Notifications to New Zealand yet, evidently.

"Jason" <Jason@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using XP Pro - shall try page. Thanks, I then got to
>
> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I think Jason wants WGA Notifications and WU hasn't got it.
>> WU isn't supposed to offer it to XP Home users - just to XP Pro.
>> There's a download link at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474

Re: KB905474 WGA
I asked you several questions, Jason. I need your answers to each of them
if you want my help.

Repeat: You do NOT need to install KB905474 in order to be able to use

Jason wrote:
> I used Windows Update web page. There was no link there to download and
> save
> the file (to put on CD). So on every computer I have to download and
> install
> in one go instead off the CD.

>> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>>
>> One down, many more to go:
>>
>> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine?
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled?
>>
>> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall (if any)?
>>
>> What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related
>> ActiveX
>> Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error messages
>> in their entirety.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> I've got SP2

Jason

Re: KB905474 WGA
See below:
>I asked you several questions, Jason. I need your answers to each of them
>if you want my help.
>
> Repeat: You do NOT need to install KB905474 in order to be able to use
> Windows Update website or Automatic Updates.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Jason wrote:
>> I used Windows Update web page. There was no link there to download and
>> save
>> the file (to put on CD). So on every computer I have to download and
>> install
>> in one go instead off the CD.

>>> [X-post to WU newsgroup]
>>>
>>> One down, many more to go:
>>>
>>> Have you ever been able to use Windows Update website with this machine?
>>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Yes to notify - that is how I come across
>>> this (right click yellow shield) - I donload for several PC's
>>>
>>> Did you just reinstall WinXP (SP2)? XP Pro SP1 then applied SP2 and
>>> updates. Have since slipstreamed SP2 and drivers for XP Pro.
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>>> firewall (if any)? Avast anti virus - Zone Alarm - I disable both when
>>> installing updates but keep them enabled when using IE to get to
>>> download pages 4 updates.
>>>
>>> What happens when you accept the prompt to install the WGA-related
>>> ActiveX
>>> Control needed to be able to use Windows Update? Post any error
>>> messages
>>> in their entirety. Successful ages ago.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: KB905474 WGA
I cannot make sense of your inline replies since I can't tell where my
question ends and your answer begins.