Computer will only start in safe mode after installing service pac

Lythren

Computer will only start in safe mode after installing service pac
I recently installed Service Pack 3 on my computer, and when asked to reboot
I did. However, now my computer will not start windows normally, it will only
start in safe mode. Each time I try to start windows normally, it gets to the
screen that has the Windows logo and says Windows XP, then restarts. Any help
anyone could provide with this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I can
find no one with similar problems, nor any answers to my problem.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Computer will only start in safe mode after installing service pac
Lythren wrote:
> I recently installed Service Pack 3 on my computer, and when asked
> to reboot I did. However, now my computer will not start windows
> normally, it will only start in safe mode. Each time I try to start
> windows normally, it gets to the screen that has the Windows logo
> and says Windows XP, then restarts. Any help anyone could provide
> with this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I can find no one
> with similar problems, nor any answers to my problem.

How did you search?

Anyway - in safe mode - uninstall SP3 (Control Panel --> Add or Remove
Programs --> Show Updates checkbox) and then figure out what is wrong with
your system before installing SP3.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Computer will only start in safe mode after installing service pac
<canned>
Continual reboots or can only boot into Safe Mode after installing WinXP
SP3?

See
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
(WinXP SP3)."]

Possible workaround: Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to
INTELPMM.OLD.

Other references:

• You receive a “Stop 0x0000007E” error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 25 Sept-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

• Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other
than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP
Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

• HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01457284

• Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors:
Go to www.hp.com | Search for "sp37394.exe" (w/out quotes) | Should take you
to this download page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP