AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DISABLED

KRISHNAN

AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DISABLED
I tried to get auto update to go on and I can't. I did the whole start, run,
services.msc thing over and over and it won't work. I scroll down to
automatic, hit apply, hit start, and then get this message, " Error 1058:
The device cannot be started either becaue it is disabled or because it has
no enabled device associated with it."
NOW what do I do? PLEASE HELP!! I need my computer!!

TaurArian

Re: AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DISABLED
Most likely the system is infected with malware "Vundo" and it mates.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

Additional assistance may be available from the Security/Virus Newsgroup -

OE client -
or

Web client -
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"KRISHNAN" <KRISHNAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to get auto update to go on and I can't. I did the whole start,
>run,
> services.msc thing over and over and it won't work. I scroll down to
> automatic, hit apply, hit start, and then get this message, " Error 1058:
> The device cannot be started either becaue it is disabled or because it
> has
> no enabled device associated with it."
> NOW what do I do? PLEASE HELP!! I need my computer!!

Re: AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATE DISABLED
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm