XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred

Hsolo30k

XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred

Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373

The svcpack.log log file shows the following
458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
value, error 0x2
462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
462.576: An extended error has occurred.

I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with SubInACL
and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way done,
then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate, as
well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody have any
ideas?

Re: XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so recently?

Related conversation:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8647&SiteID=17

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Hsolo30k wrote:
> When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
> Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
>
> Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373
>
> The svcpack.log log file shows the following
> 458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
> 462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
> value, error 0x2
> 462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for
> recovery.
> 462.576: An extended error has occurred.
>
> I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with
> SubInACL
> and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way done,
> then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate, as
> well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody have
> any ideas?

zuke

Re: XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course everything
works after a re-install. One wants a fix without the re-install. This
quetion is of little value. I have the same problem adn would prefer to not
reinstall.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so recently?
>
> Related conversation:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8647&SiteID=17
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Hsolo30k wrote:
> > When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
> > Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
> >
> > Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373
> >
> > The svcpack.log log file shows the following
> > 458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
> > 462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
> > value, error 0x2
> > 462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for
> > recovery.
> > 462.576: An extended error has occurred.
> >
> > I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with
> > SubInACL
> > and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way done,
> > then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate, as
> > well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody have
> > any ideas?

Re: XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
Did I tell the OP (who is not you) to reinstall Windows?

zuke wrote:
> One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course
> everything
> works after a re-install. One wants a fix without the re-install. This
> quetion is of little value. I have the same problem adn would prefer to
> not
> reinstall.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so recently?
>>
>> Related conversation:
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8647&SiteID=17
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Hsolo30k wrote:
>>> When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
>>> Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
>>>
>>> Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373
>>>
>>> The svcpack.log log file shows the following
>>> 458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
>>> 462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete
>>> SpRecoverCmdLine
>>> value, error 0x2
>>> 462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for
>>> recovery.
>>> 462.576: An extended error has occurred.
>>>
>>> I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with
>>> SubInACL
>>> and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way
>>> done,
>>> then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate,
>>> as
>>> well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody
>>> have
>>> any ideas?

TaurArian

Re: XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
OK.

zuke wrote:
:: One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course
:: everything works after a re-install. One wants a fix without the
:: re-install. This quetion is of little value. I have the same problem
:: adn would prefer to not reinstall.
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::
::: Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so
::: recently?
:::
::: Related conversation:
:::
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8647&SiteID=17
:::
::: WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
:::
:::
::: Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
::: for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09.
::: Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and
::: Canada. Go to
::: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
::: "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3" --
::: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
::: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
::: Hsolo30k wrote:
:::: When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
:::: Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
::::
[...]

Harry Johnston [MVP]

zuke wrote:

> One would like to fdix the updatae without a re-intall. Of course everything
> works after a re-install.

Actually, this is one problem that is often *caused* by reinstalling. Hence PA
Bear's question.

Harry.

One wants a fix without the re-install. This
> quetion is of little value. I have the same problem adn would prefer to not
> reinstall.

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Have you ever reinstalled WinXP on this machine? Did you do so recently?
>>
>> Related conversation:
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...8647&SiteID=17
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Hsolo30k wrote:
>>> When installing XP SP 3 I get the following error:
>>> Service Pack 3 Setup Error An extended error has occurred
>>>
>>> Event Viewer shows Source NTServicePack wioth Event id 4373
>>>
>>> The svcpack.log log file shows the following
>>> 458.049: DoInstallation:SecurityConfigSystemCommit Failed: 0x800704b8
>>> 462.546: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine
>>> value, error 0x2
>>> 462.566: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for
>>> recovery.
>>> 462.576: An extended error has occurred.
>>>
>>> I have antivirus off, firewall off ran the permissions program with
>>> SubInACL
>>> and have all the other latetest updates. Seems to get about half way done,
>>> then errors out no matter what I try. I've done it through autoupdate, as
>>> well as downloading the full sp3 install. Happens both ways. Anybody have
>>> any ideas?

Re: XP SP3 install failing - An extended error has occurred
PA Bear's question to the OP, I'll add.