Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

No Active X Control

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2008
Gig
 

Posts: n/a
No Active X Control
When I now visit the Update site, I get the following:

Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
control. To install it:
1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
below the address bar.
2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.

The Internet Explorer Information Bar never appears and nothing further
happens.

I've tried almost a dozen listed steps to solve the problem, but again,
nada, zilch, nothing.

System is Windows XP with SP3
--
Gig
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2008
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No Active X Control
Gig wrote:
> When I now visit the Update site, I get the following:
>
> Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
> The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
> control. To install it:
> 1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located
> just below the address bar.
> 2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
> 3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.
>
> The Internet Explorer Information Bar never appears and nothing
> further happens.
>
> I've tried almost a dozen listed steps to solve the problem, but
> again, nada, zilch, nothing.
>
> System is Windows XP with SP3


Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...

Once the scan is done, select all the critical, any of the optional software
updates you want and *none* of the option hardware updates and install them.

Reboot again.


If all that fails for you, get this:
(Thanks to MowGreen!)

- Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

- Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.

- Physically disconnect the system from the Internet for now (pull the
wire.)

- TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite**
Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
stopped.

- Since the system needs to be re-connected to the net/network, enable
the native Windows firewall for now (Disable any third party firewalls.)
1.Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2.On the General tab, click On (recommended), and then click OK.

- Connect the machine physically back to the Internet.

- Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
take some time.

- Reboot.

**Re-enable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
disabled, re-enable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall.]

- Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

- Once the scan is done, select all the critical, any of the optional
software
updates you want and *none* of the option hardware updates and install them.
Reboot again.

Come back and let us know of any errors you encountered - verbatim. Don't
try to RECALL as you go - but write down the errors word-for-word. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2008
Gig
 

Posts: n/a
RE: No Active X Control
Solved my own problem. I turned Automatic Updates On and then I was able to
get to the Update Site without that "Missing Active X" screen.

I then turned Automatic Updates back Off, and I'm still able to get to the
Update Site without that "Missing Active X" screen. The site showed 2 of real
old updates available, but nothing new.
--
Gig


"Gig" wrote:

> When I now visit the Update site, I get the following:
>
> Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
> The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
> control. To install it:
> 1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
> below the address bar.
> 2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
> 3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.
>
> The Internet Explorer Information Bar never appears and nothing further
> happens.
>
> I've tried almost a dozen listed steps to solve the problem, but again,
> nada, zilch, nothing.
>
> System is Windows XP with SP3
> --
> Gig

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2009
na6t
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No Active X Control

Hi All. I had the same problem after uninstalling software for the
Erickson telephone. I followed the instructions given below:
net stop wuauserv
regsvr wps2.dll
net start wuauserv
reboot
run the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

didn't cure the problem. HOWEVER, I found the CURE for the problem
after looking through the addons available in IE7.

load internet explorer->TOOLS->MANAGE ADDONS->ENABLE/DISABLE
use the drop down at the top of the page to show:

"addons that HAVE BEEN used by IE"

I found the following addon DISABLED

MUWEBCONTROLCLASS ---- ACTIVEX CONTROL --- MUWEB.DLL

I highlited this line, clicked on ENABLE, closed IE7 , rebooted the
computer AND, guess what,

The next time I loaded IE7 to go to windows UPdate, I was asked to
install the activeX, I did it, and windows update now works properly.

Hope this helps people, I've been chasing this problem on a client's
computer for about 3 days and finally cured the problem.

Bob Smith
NA6T
Northern California


--
na6t
------------------------------------------------------------------------
na6t's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100433.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1052004.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No Active X Control
QED: How did MUWEBCONTROLCLASS get disabled in the first place?

na6t wrote:
> Hi All. I had the same problem after uninstalling software for the
> Erickson telephone. I followed the instructions given below:
> net stop wuauserv
> regsvr wps2.dll
> net start wuauserv
> reboot
> run the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
>
> didn't cure the problem. HOWEVER, I found the CURE for the problem
> after looking through the addons available in IE7.
>
> load internet explorer->TOOLS->MANAGE ADDONS->ENABLE/DISABLE
> use the drop down at the top of the page to show:
>
> "addons that HAVE BEEN used by IE"
>
> I found the following addon DISABLED
>
> MUWEBCONTROLCLASS ---- ACTIVEX CONTROL --- MUWEB.DLL
>
> I highlited this line, clicked on ENABLE, closed IE7 , rebooted the
> computer AND, guess what,
>
> The next time I loaded IE7 to go to windows UPdate, I was asked to
> install the activeX, I did it, and windows update now works properly.
>
> Hope this helps people, I've been chasing this problem on a client's
> computer for about 3 days and finally cured the problem.
>
> Bob Smith
> NA6T
> Northern California

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009
na6t
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No Active X Control

Hi PA Bear,
I really don't know. The box was delivered to me in the state I got it
with Windows updates not working. The box is used in a work situation
as a ws for the office. I just went looking via google for the answers
and tried your solution and happened to get lucky and found the addon
dis-abled.

Bob
NA6T


--
na6t
------------------------------------------------------------------------
na6t's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100433.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1052004.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No Active X Control
If you don't quote the entire post to which you're replying, we have no idea
what you're talking about. You'd be able to do so if you accessed this
newsgroup via your default newsreader instead of techarena.in forums.

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

The above notwithstanding, it sounds like the box may have been configured
to update via WSUS, not Automatic Updates or Microsoft Update. This may
have been done via a GPO or the Image used to install Windows.


na6t wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
> I really don't know. The box was delivered to me in the state I got it
> with Windows updates not working. The box is used in a work situation
> as a ws for the office. I just went looking via google for the answers
> and tried your solution and happened to get lucky and found the addon
> dis-abled.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active X Control samunro microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-29-2007 20:02
Active X control Allee microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 08-07-2007 21:14
How to Install Active X Control Eric Ogawa microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 07-11-2007 01:16
Active X control trosas microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 5 07-09-2007 07:59
Active X Control not working? Omega_man microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 06-14-2007 23:39




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120