Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update

Goliath

Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
When i shut down my computer, windows tells me a update is waiting to be
installed. I click shut down and a dialog box appears displaying "installing
update 1 of 1". It never appears to install. Every shutdown repeats the
install process. Does anyone know what is happening?

I use XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
and IE Version 7.0.5730.13.

I dont know what update is trying to be installed.

Re: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
> I dont know what update is trying to be installed.

Check your WindowsUpdate.log (see below) or your Update History at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

===========================

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Goliath wrote:
> When i shut down my computer, windows tells me a update is waiting to be
> installed. I click shut down and a dialog box appears displaying
> "installing update 1 of 1". It never appears to install. Every shutdown
> repeats the install process. Does anyone know what is happening?
>
> I use XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> and IE Version 7.0.5730.13.
>
> I dont know what update is trying to be installed.

Goliath

RE: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
Here is the response when i try to display update history on the site you
provided.

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

last 3 lines of my log follow.

2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1060 60c Service WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId
failed with error 800704dd for session 0
2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1252 db4 COMAPI WARNING: Unable to listen to
self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800704DD)
2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1252 db4 COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
connection to the service. (hr=800704DD)

Re: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
Is Automatic Updates enabled? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Also see this KB article:

Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

Goliath wrote:
> Here is the response when i try to display update history on the site you
> provided.
>
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
>
> last 3 lines of my log follow.
>
> 2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1060 60c Service WARNING:
> GetUserTokenFromSessionId
> failed with error 800704dd for session 0
> 2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1252 db4 COMAPI WARNING: Unable to listen to
> self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800704DD)
> 2008-10-10 17:42:43:750 1252 db4 COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
> connection to the service. (hr=800704DD)

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> I dont know what update is trying to be installed.

> Check your WindowsUpdate.log (see below) or your Update History at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
> Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> ===========================

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> Goliath wrote:
>> When i shut down my computer, windows tells me a update is waiting to be
>> installed. I click shut down and a dialog box appears displaying
>> "installing update 1 of 1". It never appears to install. Every shutdown
>> repeats the install process. Does anyone know what is happening?
>>
>> I use XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>> and IE Version 7.0.5730.13.
>>
>> I dont know what update is trying to be installed.

Goliath

Re: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update

The instructions at the site you provided directed me to ensure the SensLogn
key was in the registry. When i looked, i could not find it. SO i added it
via the instructions. When i rebooted the yellow "updates available" icon
was in the system tray. I clicked it and 4 updates were available for
install. I selected express install and 3 of 4 updated. the 3rd, KB956500
Powerpoint viewer failed. Looks like i made progress but still an issue.

Re: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
1. Uninstall PowerPoint View (PPV) 2003 via Add/Remove Programs.

2. Install PPV 2007 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...C-3E151E4DC790

Goliath wrote:
> The instructions at the site you provided directed me to ensure the
> SensLogn
> key was in the registry. When i looked, i could not find it. SO i added
> it via the instructions. When i rebooted the yellow "updates available"
> icon was in the system tray. I clicked it and 4 updates were available
> for
> install. I selected express install and 3 of 4 updated. the 3rd,
> KB956500
> Powerpoint viewer failed. Looks like i made progress but still an issue.

Goliath

Re: Windows repeatedly attemtps to install an update
Thx. I think i fixed the problem. I had to add a registry entry SensLogn
which for some reason was missing. I created the registry entry and all my
updates successfully installed. All the way thru SP3. I found the entries by
searching the web. thx for your help.