Genuine (905474 update)

Richard Fangnail

Genuine (905474 update)
I am confused about who gets this auto update. My office computer
just got it although the support pages are dated from August 2008.

Do ALL XP users get this update?
Alias

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
Richard Fangnail wrote:
> I am confused about who gets this auto update. My office computer
> just got it although the support pages are dated from August 2008.
>
> Do ALL XP users get this update?

Yes, but the smart ones tell Microsoft to stick WGA where the sun
doesn't shine. If you want to know how, just ask.

Alias
Richard Fangnail

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
On Oct 8, 9:18*am, Alias <iamal...@gmailREMOVE.com> wrote:
> Richard Fangnail wrote:
> > I am confused about who gets this auto update. *My office computer
> > just got it although the support pages are dated from August 2008.

> > Do ALL XP users get this update?

> Yes, but the smart ones tell Microsoft to stick WGA where the sun
> doesn't shine. If you want to know how, just ask.
>
> Alias

Well this page says at the bottom only XP Pro and Gen. Advantage so I
don't know what that means for XP Home.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474
Alias

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
Richard Fangnail wrote:
> On Oct 8, 9:18 am, Alias <iamal...@gmailREMOVE.com> wrote:
>> Richard Fangnail wrote:
>>> I am confused about who gets this auto update. My office computer
>>> just got it although the support pages are dated from August 2008.
>>> Do ALL XP users get this update?

>> Yes, but the smart ones tell Microsoft to stick WGA where the sun
>> doesn't shine. If you want to know how, just ask.
>>
>> Alias

> Well this page says at the bottom only XP Pro and Gen. Advantage so I
> don't know what that means for XP Home.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

XP Home gets it too. Refuse it if you're smart. Accept it if you're
stupid. It is NOT needed.

Alias
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
It's for all XP systems. XP Home and XP WMC were left off of the MSKB
for some reason. The WGAN is *not* mandatory and if your system has
already been determined to be Genuine suggest you decline and Hide it.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

On Oct 8, 12:13*pm, "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> It's for all XP systems. XP Home and XP WMC were left off of the MSKB
> for some reason. The WGAN is *not* mandatory and if your system has
> already been determined to be Genuine suggest you decline and Hide it.
>
> MowGreen *[MVP 2003-2009]

Thank you. Was this update just released today?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
Richard Fangnail wrote:

> On Oct 8, 12:13 pm, "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
>
>>It's for all XP systems. XP Home and XP WMC were left off of the MSKB
>>for some reason. The WGAN is *not* mandatory and if your system has
>>already been determined to be Genuine suggest you decline and Hide it.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]

> Thank you. Was this update just released today?

You're mowst welcome, Richard. KB905474 was released
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 according to this MSKB:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Richard Fangnail

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
On Oct 8, 1:48*pm, "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> Richard Fangnail wrote:
> > Thank you. *Was this update just released today?

> You're mowst welcome, Richard. KB905474 was released
> Tuesday, August 26, 2008 according to this MSKB:
>
> Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
> Services changes in content for 2008http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

On that page, why is that same thing listed for Sept 23 as well as
Aug. 26?
Michael Jennings

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
On Oct 8, 1:48 pm, "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> Richard Fangnail wrote:
> > Thank you. Was this update just released today?

> You're mowst welcome, Richard. KB905474 was released
> Tuesday, August 26, 2008 according to this MSKB:
>
> Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
> Services changes in content for 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

> On that page, why is that same thing listed for Sept 23 as well as Aug. 26?

KB905474 is a mutating update to keep up with H @K 0rz attacks. The most
recent iterations don't bother letting you know you're getting an altered
version,
after you've accepted the EULA for an earlier version. There are class action
suits. Is keeping customers more important than playing with H @K k0rz?
Screw that and the law too I think is Microsoft's demented answer to that.

Here's another view: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=526

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Genuine (905474 update)
Michael Jennings wrote:

> KB905474 is a mutating update to keep up with H @K 0rz attacks. The most
> recent iterations don't bother letting you know you're getting an altered
> version,
> after you've accepted the EULA for an earlier version. There are class action
> suits.

As far as I know, the KB905474 updates won't install automatically unless you've
instructed your system to install updates automatically. I'm not sure I see any
reason to object to that.

Harry.