Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Old Windows

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2008
keppygirl
 

Posts: n/a
Old Windows
Can I Update my windows from Windows 98 to XP? Do I need to clean out my
computer to do so? HELP!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2008
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Old Windows
keppygirl wrote:
> Can I Update my windows from Windows 98 to XP?
> Do I need to clean out my computer to do so?
> HELP!


You can update the operating system to Windows XP given your PC meets the
minimum requirements and have a retail or upgrade copy of Windows XP and the
associated license for it.

I believe that you should have at least 256MB memory and a 1GHz or greater
processor and a 64MB or greater video card (not shared with the 256MB
memory - 64MB of its own... So you would need 320MB of total memory if you
had a shared memory video card) in order to run Windows XP at any decent
pace. Truthfully - at this point - you would likely not see any benefit to
upgrading that computer's OS to Windows XP unless it happens to be a 1.8GHz
PC with 512MB of memory and a 128MB or greater stand-alone video card.
Anything less and you will feel the pinch of the newer OSes resource
requirements.

So here's the deal. First - you need a legitimate retail license of Windows
XP in order to *upgrade* your current install to Windows XP. You cannot
purchase Windows Xp very easily anymore - so that could be difficult unless
you already have said copy. If you wanted to format your system (wipe
everything off and start over) you would need to ensure you could get
hardware drivers for each hardware component for the new OS (motherboard,
video card, network card, sound card, modem, external devices, etc) - which
could be difficult in itself. If said machine is not a well-equipped PC -
you can expect it to run slower than the current Windows 98 does.

So... Answering your two questions directly:
- Yes.
- It would help and you should backup your stuff no matter what, but it is
not 100% necessary.

See information above the answers before you step into something that makes
your situation worse instead of better.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2008
keppygirl
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Old Windows
Thank you for getting back to me. So, from what I am reading, I should
basically just get another pc, right? I don't mind windows 98, however, I
can't do anything. I can't download music, adobe, etc because everything
requires windows newer than 98 (or 2000 for that matter).

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> keppygirl wrote:
> > Can I Update my windows from Windows 98 to XP?
> > Do I need to clean out my computer to do so?
> > HELP!

>
> You can update the operating system to Windows XP given your PC meets the
> minimum requirements and have a retail or upgrade copy of Windows XP and the
> associated license for it.
>
> I believe that you should have at least 256MB memory and a 1GHz or greater
> processor and a 64MB or greater video card (not shared with the 256MB
> memory - 64MB of its own... So you would need 320MB of total memory if you
> had a shared memory video card) in order to run Windows XP at any decent
> pace. Truthfully - at this point - you would likely not see any benefit to
> upgrading that computer's OS to Windows XP unless it happens to be a 1.8GHz
> PC with 512MB of memory and a 128MB or greater stand-alone video card.
> Anything less and you will feel the pinch of the newer OSes resource
> requirements.
>
> So here's the deal. First - you need a legitimate retail license of Windows
> XP in order to *upgrade* your current install to Windows XP. You cannot
> purchase Windows Xp very easily anymore - so that could be difficult unless
> you already have said copy. If you wanted to format your system (wipe
> everything off and start over) you would need to ensure you could get
> hardware drivers for each hardware component for the new OS (motherboard,
> video card, network card, sound card, modem, external devices, etc) - which
> could be difficult in itself. If said machine is not a well-equipped PC -
> you can expect it to run slower than the current Windows 98 does.
>
> So... Answering your two questions directly:
> - Yes.
> - It would help and you should backup your stuff no matter what, but it is
> not 100% necessary.
>
> See information above the answers before you step into something that makes
> your situation worse instead of better.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2008
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Old Windows
keppygirl wrote:
> Can I Update my windows from Windows 98 to XP? Do I need to clean
> out my computer to do so? HELP!


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You can update the operating system to Windows XP given your PC
> meets the minimum requirements and have a retail or upgrade copy of
> Windows XP and the associated license for it.
>
> I believe that you should have at least 256MB memory and a 1GHz or
> greater processor and a 64MB or greater video card (not shared with
> the 256MB memory - 64MB of its own... So you would need 320MB of
> total memory if you had a shared memory video card) in order to run
> Windows XP at any decent pace. Truthfully - at this point - you
> would likely not see any benefit to upgrading that computer's OS to
> Windows XP unless it happens to be a 1.8GHz PC with 512MB of memory
> and a 128MB or greater stand-alone video card. Anything less and
> you will feel the pinch of the newer OSes resource requirements.
>
> So here's the deal. First - you need a legitimate retail license
> of Windows XP in order to *upgrade* your current install to Windows
> XP. You cannot purchase Windows Xp very easily anymore - so that
> could be difficult unless you already have said copy. If you
> wanted to format your system (wipe everything off and start over)
> you would need to ensure you could get hardware drivers for each
> hardware component for the new OS (motherboard, video card, network
> card, sound card, modem, external devices, etc) - which could be
> difficult in itself. If said machine is not a well-equipped PC -
> you can expect it to run slower than the current Windows 98 does.
>
> So... Answering your two questions directly:
> - Yes.
> - It would help and you should backup your stuff no matter what,
> but it is not 100% necessary.
>
> See information above the answers before you step into something
> that makes your situation worse instead of better.


keppygirl wrote:
> Thank you for getting back to me. So, from what I am reading, I
> should basically just get another pc, right? I don't mind windows
> 98, however, I can't do anything. I can't download music, adobe,
> etc because everything requires windows newer than 98 (or 2000 for
> that matter).


If your needs are beyond what your current PC can do - then you've answered
your own question.

It doesn't have to be *new* as in the latest/greatest. New to you would
likely be more than enough. Many companies out there sell refurbished
systems (off-lease, etc.) If you can get one of those and tack on a decent
warranty (2 year maybe) for $150 or less in addition ot the cost of the
system - that would work.

You can get brand new - but you will pay a bit more for that. It's not a
bad thing - seeing as you are still using a Windows 98 machine - you
probably trade up once per decade... ;-) Starting out strong will better
ensure you can last that entir decade (which - if you were to ask me - that
is over twice the useful life of a PC for me.)

Just as an example:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...EM1721_-PCdeal
$610+shipping for that computer with a 2 year replacement warranty. Not a
bad deal, likely 3-5 times more processor power than you have now, likely
9-10 times the amount of memory, who knows how much larger the hard disk
drive is... It will run Windows XP or Vista pretty easily and you would
have enough resources left over on it to run a virtual machine with Linux of
some flavor as well (at the same time.) Of course - you have to keep
whatever monitor you have or get a new one.

Want something new? Look at these starting at $350...
http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Those are just two examples - you could go HP, Lenovo, etc. You could check
out refurbished systems from NewEgg, Amazon, etc. You could go to a local
computer store and get one built for you. You could even (although I cannot
say I recommend it without topping it off with research of your own) go to a
Circuit City/Best Buy like store and get a decent system.

If I was tight on budget and wanted to make my money last the longest - I
would likely get a refurbished system. If I had a little extra - I would
get a nice new system with a 5 year warranty. In either case - Dual-Core or
greater, 1GB or more memory (likely 2-4GB), 160GB or greater hard disk
drive, 128MB or greater video card (non-shared memory if I could help it).
That would give me some breathing room.

I just think upgrading the OS on a system designed for Windows 98 to
something like Vista will just be frustrating and painful in many ways.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 932988 Files from a Canon EOD 1D or 1DS camera may be corrupted after you use Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, or Windows Explorer to edit the file metadata in Windows Vista or in Windows XP SP2 KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120