infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade

jprstokato

infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
According to technet article 'Prepare Your Infrastructure for Upgrade' -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771461.aspx, there are no
prerequities to executing adprep / forestprep, and adprep /domainprep /gpprep
in the schema / infrastructure master....

In our previous upgrade from 2000 to 2003, it was advised that replication
was disabled from this server during the schema preparations..

Is this necessary for the 2008 infrastructure perparation?

Many thanks.

Re: infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
[Forwarded to a few Windows Server-specific newsgroups via crosspost.
microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup is about Windows Updates, not
upgrading Windows.]

jprstokato wrote:
> According to technet article 'Prepare Your Infrastructure for Upgrade' -
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771461.aspx, there are no
> prerequities to executing adprep / forestprep, and adprep /domainprep
> /gpprep in the schema / infrastructure master....
>
> In our previous upgrade from 2000 to 2003, it was advised that replication
> was disabled from this server during the schema preparations..
>
> Is this necessary for the 2008 infrastructure perparation?
>
> Many thanks.

Meinolf Weber

Re: infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
Hello PA Bear [MS MVP],

You can run the schema upgrade without any problem or preparation like stated
in the article.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> [Forwarded to a few Windows Server-specific newsgroups via crosspost.
> microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup is about Windows Updates, not
> upgrading Windows.]
>
> jprstokato wrote:
>
>> According to technet article 'Prepare Your Infrastructure for
>> Upgrade' - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771461.aspx,
>> there are no prerequities to executing adprep / forestprep, and
>> adprep /domainprep /gpprep in the schema / infrastructure master....
>>
>> In our previous upgrade from 2000 to 2003, it was advised that
>> replication was disabled from this server during the schema
>> preparations..
>>
>> Is this necessary for the 2008 infrastructure perparation?
>>
>> Many thanks.

jprstokato

Re: infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
Thanks very much for your reply.

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

> Hello PA Bear [MS MVP],
>
> You can run the schema upgrade without any problem or preparation like stated
> in the article.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > [Forwarded to a few Windows Server-specific newsgroups via crosspost.
> > microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup is about Windows Updates, not
> > upgrading Windows.]
> >
> > jprstokato wrote:
> >
> >> According to technet article 'Prepare Your Infrastructure for
> >> Upgrade' - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771461.aspx,
> >> there are no prerequities to executing adprep / forestprep, and
> >> adprep /domainprep /gpprep in the schema / infrastructure master....
> >>
> >> In our previous upgrade from 2000 to 2003, it was advised that
> >> replication was disabled from this server during the schema
> >> preparations..
> >>
> >> Is this necessary for the 2008 infrastructure perparation?
> >>
> >> Many thanks.

Bill Kearney

Re: infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
And God help you if you ever had Services for Unix installed on your domain.
win2k8 seriously complains about it and it's a supreme hassle removing all
the SFU gunk from the schema.

jprstokato

Re: infratructure preparations for Windows 2008 domain upgrade
Ah, thanks for the reassuring words..
We went throguh all that with the upgrade from W2k to W2k3, so hopefully
won't come back to haunt us!