Update Error 0x800703E3

Mac

Update Error 0x800703E3
Running Windows XP PRO SP3 and was informed that I did not have the
latest version of Windows Update when I tried updating yesterday. So as
I have done numerous times in the past I clicked on "Download and
Install Latest Version".
The screen shows Downloading 0-100% then Copying Files 0-100% then I get
an error that says the Website encountered a problem and cannot display,
blah,blah, blah....

The Error number listed is 0x800703E3.

I have rebooted, tried from Safe Mode, tried using system restore to a
restore point about 2 weeks ago, all to no avail. Now every time I try
Windows Update, I get the same error message and Updating does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TaurArian

Re: Update Error 0x800703E3
1. Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new
Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Ignore the Title and try method 2.

If still no joy -

2. Automatic Updates and WindowsUpdate Reset tool
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Mac" <tmac1@windstream.net> wrote in message
> Running Windows XP PRO SP3 and was informed that I did not have the latest
> version of Windows Update when I tried updating yesterday. So as I have
> done numerous times in the past I clicked on "Download and Install Latest
> Version".
> The screen shows Downloading 0-100% then Copying Files 0-100% then I get
> an error that says the Website encountered a problem and cannot display,
> blah,blah, blah....
>
> The Error number listed is 0x800703E3.
>
> I have rebooted, tried from Safe Mode, tried using system restore to a
> restore point about 2 weeks ago, all to no avail. Now every time I try
> Windows Update, I get the same error message and Updating does not work.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VidaBob

Re: Update Error 0x800703E3
I followed the thread to the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 article
method #2 below. Fresh install of Win XP Pro, SP2 then SP3.

Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv
Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition,
type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
Click OK on each verification message that you receive.
Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command
at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv

When I attempt to run "net start wuauserv" from CMD I see the following:
"Sys error 53255 occurred. No msg # 0xd007 in BASE" ( unable to search for
those codes for the next step )

I then attempted to "Download and install the Windows Update Agent" hoping
to restore/replace files. It began to Copy Files then halted with 0x800703e3
error and back in the 0x800703e3 loop!

Uncertain if this helps but see 4 locations of Wups2.dll file in various
locations on my HD, all show 43 k with different date stamps yet all the
re-register xxx.dll files return a "successful".

Going in circles - Thank you for any help.