xp sp3 install failure 0x80070005

Stash91

xp sp3 install failure 0x80070005
repeated install failures, denied access, have downloaded Windows Installer
4.5, no progess. All antispyware off. Suggestions?
Shenan Stanley

Re: xp sp3 install failure 0x80070005
Stash91 wrote:
> repeated install failures, denied access, have downloaded Windows
> Installer 4.5, no progess. All antispyware off. Suggestions?

Sounds like you did some research (or guessed at some stuff...)

During your research and trials - did you try this?
(Since you mentioned "Access Denied" with "SP3"...)

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
(I have personally found "Method 3: Reset the registry and the file
permissions" works for a lot of people when getting that error message.)

If that fails...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Stash91

Re: xp sp3 install failure 0x80070005
Applied Method 1, 2, 3 - Access denied.

Deleted remnants of McAfee after Windows Uninstaller removal first, using
McAfee website program. Access denied.

Deleted remnants of CA Security Suite after Windows Uninstaller removal
first, using CA website program. Access denied.

Re-ran Method 3 script - program ran 10 minutes on last instruction line -
'Process File Security Area'. Then xp3 download and install successful.

Apparently Windows Uninstaller is not able to completely remove anti-virus
software, and the Method 3 script cannot detect locked anti-virus registry
files.

Stash91 wrote:
> Applied Method 1, 2, 3 - Access denied.
>
> Deleted remnants of McAfee after Windows Uninstaller removal first,
> using McAfee website program. Access denied.
>
> Deleted remnants of CA Security Suite after Windows Uninstaller
> removal first, using CA website program. Access denied.
>
> Re-ran Method 3 script - program ran 10 minutes on last instruction
> line - 'Process File Security Area'. Then xp3 download and install
> successful.
>
> Apparently Windows Uninstaller is not able to completely remove
> anti-virus software, and the Method 3 script cannot detect locked
> anti-virus registry files.

Actually - the Windows Installer is not responsible for remobving software.
The calls to it from whatever software was installed/is doing the uninstall
of itself is. The manufacturers of each product have to properly utilize
the tools in order to properly remove every trace of themselves. Most
vendors fail in this aspect miserably. Thus - many of them have created
removal tools or instructions on how to clean up afgter their poor
programming capabilities (and/or third parties have done this for them - but
I am less apt to trust such third parties.)

I suggest you now use the free support that I linked to previously.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

You have tried several things and obviously your computer has some serious
issues that will require some specific troubleshooting.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP