update failure error code 0x80070641

CK

update failure error code 0x80070641
Greetings,

Am using XP and keep getting updates that failed everytime to install,
having such mesage below:

Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070641 for the following updates:
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326)

Tried looking into Troubleshooting & FAQ for solutions but none

Appreciate help.
Thanks
CK
Shenan Stanley

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641
CK wrote:
> Am using XP and keep getting updates that failed everytime to
> install, having such mesage below:
>
> Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070641 for the following
> updates: Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
> Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
> Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326)
>
> Tried looking into Troubleshooting & FAQ for solutions but none

Although I appreciate you giving your Windows version (is important) one
would think - given the updates list you have - letting us in on what
Microsoft Office products you have installed would also be useful. ;-)

If I had to guess - you have Microsoft Office 2003 installed with possibly
the compatibility pack and/or a couple of Office 2007 level viewers
(PowerPoint, Excel or Word...)?

What happens if you have the Office 2003 installation media (CD usually) in
the computer in question when you attempt to get these updates?

Are these updates coming to you through "Automatic Updates" or are you
visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to do a custom scan for updates
and selecting them there?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641
How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the
Office Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD7939A6-F27A-4C43-B96E-EAC56598C387@microsoft.com...
> Greetings,
>
> Am using XP and keep getting updates that failed everytime to install,
> having such mesage below:
>
> Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070641 for the following updates:
> Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
> Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
> Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326)
>
> Tried looking into Troubleshooting & FAQ for solutions but none
>
> Appreciate help.
> Thanks
> CK

nadine

RE: update failure error code 0x80070641
i have the ssame problem can you tell me how to fix cause microsoft sure
doesn't support their products
--
nadine

nadine wrote:
> i have the ssame problem can you tell me how to fix cause microsoft
> sure doesn't support their products

You have exactly the same problem with exactly the same updates?
Doubtful.

As for your assertion - the problem lies on your machine - not the product
you have installed onto your machine. ;-)

Did you read the other two (at least) responses to the post you chose to
respond to? It's a couple of months old and the original poster (as with
most) never came back to either thank those who tried to assist them nor at
least say what finally fixed the problem (if anything.) Perhaps you will be
different.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...88514796399642

Please - expand on "i have the ssame problem" <- be very specific as usually
it turns out your problem is not exactly the same (list the updates you
cannot install, the version of Windows XP you are running, the service pack
level you are at, the version(s) of Microsoft Offic you have installed and
what you have tried - in detail (did I mention that details are important
because only you can see what you have?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Paul

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641
Sorry to say, but totally incredible this arrogant reply from a Microsoft
emplyee (if I'm not mistaken).
As far as I know we all pay (a lot!) to use this software and help with
installation problems would be a normal service in my opinion.
Maybe Shenan Stanley is factually right in his comments, but the tone is so
insulting, I still can't believe it!

Paul.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> CK wrote:
> > Am using XP and keep getting updates that failed everytime to
> > install, having such mesage below:
> >
> > Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070641 for the following
> > updates: Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
> > Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
> > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
> > Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
> > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326)
> >
> > Tried looking into Troubleshooting & FAQ for solutions but none

> nadine wrote:
> > i have the ssame problem can you tell me how to fix cause microsoft
> > sure doesn't support their products

> You have exactly the same problem with exactly the same updates?
> Doubtful.
>
> As for your assertion - the problem lies on your machine - not the product
> you have installed onto your machine. ;-)
>
> Did you read the other two (at least) responses to the post you chose to
> respond to? It's a couple of months old and the original poster (as with
> most) never came back to either thank those who tried to assist them nor at
> least say what finally fixed the problem (if anything.) Perhaps you will be
> different.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...88514796399642
>
> Please - expand on "i have the ssame problem" <- be very specific as usually
> it turns out your problem is not exactly the same (list the updates you
> cannot install, the version of Windows XP you are running, the service pack
> level you are at, the version(s) of Microsoft Offic you have installed and
> what you have tried - in detail (did I mention that details are important
> because only you can see what you have?)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Michael

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641
You are mistaken, Paul. There are no Microsoft employees here. The MVP's
are volunteers, which means they're not paid enough to put up with some of
the moronic crap posted here.
Also, I believe Shenan is of the fairer sex, so you are mistaken again. How
does it feel to be a 2 time loser? You're probably used to it.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

> Sorry to say, but totally incredible this arrogant reply from a Microsoft
> emplyee (if I'm not mistaken).
> As far as I know we all pay (a lot!) to use this software and help with
> installation problems would be a normal service in my opinion.
> Maybe Shenan Stanley is factually right in his comments, but the tone is
> so
> insulting, I still can't believe it!
>
> Paul.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> CK wrote:
>> > Am using XP and keep getting updates that failed everytime to
>> > install, having such mesage below:
>> >
>> > Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070641 for the following
>> > updates: Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
>> > Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
>> > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
>> > Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
>> > Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954326)
>> >
>> > Tried looking into Troubleshooting & FAQ for solutions but none

>> nadine wrote:
>> > i have the ssame problem can you tell me how to fix cause microsoft
>> > sure doesn't support their products

>> You have exactly the same problem with exactly the same updates?
>> Doubtful.
>>
>> As for your assertion - the problem lies on your machine - not the
>> product
>> you have installed onto your machine. ;-)
>>
>> Did you read the other two (at least) responses to the post you chose to
>> respond to? It's a couple of months old and the original poster (as with
>> most) never came back to either thank those who tried to assist them nor
>> at
>> least say what finally fixed the problem (if anything.) Perhaps you will
>> be
>> different.
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...88514796399642
>>
>> Please - expand on "i have the ssame problem" <- be very specific as
>> usually
>> it turns out your problem is not exactly the same (list the updates you
>> cannot install, the version of Windows XP you are running, the service
>> pack
>> level you are at, the version(s) of Microsoft Offic you have installed
>> and
>> what you have tried - in detail (did I mention that details are important
>> because only you can see what you have?)
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641
No one here (including MVPs) represents or works for Microsoft.

For home users, no-charge support from MS *is* available by calling
1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020) in the United States and in Canada or
by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

Or you can...

Consumer Security Support home page

your usual support contacts.
www.banthecheck.com

Paul wrote:
> Sorry to say, but totally incredible this arrogant reply from a Microsoft
> emplyee (if I'm not mistaken)....

peterpiper

Re: update failure error code 0x80070641

A few simple suggestions from someone who had the problem but isn't sure
what exactly the solution was.

Make sure these services are running:

automatic updates
background intelligent transfer service
windows installer

might help to make sure you have java installed also.

--
peterpiper
peterpiper's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155982.htm

http://forums.techarena.in