Slipstream XP SP3

Ed.

Slipstream XP SP3
I used AutoStreamer for slipstreaming in the past. I would like to use it
again. Can you use the original XP CD with no Service Packs and use
AutoStreamer to slipstream SP3?

I ask because I saw some where if you have XP installed, you have to have at
least SP1 or SP2 already installed before you can install SP3. If this is
true, do you have to use a XP CD with SP1 or SP2 already on it in order to
use AutoStreamer to slipstream Sp3 ?

Thank You,
Ed.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Slipstream XP SP3
Ed. wrote:
> I used AutoStreamer for slipstreaming in the past. I would like to
> use it again. Can you use the original XP CD with no Service Packs
> and use AutoStreamer to slipstream SP3?
>
> I ask because I saw some where if you have XP installed, you have
> to have at least SP1 or SP2 already installed before you can
> install SP3. If this is true, do you have to use a XP CD with SP1
> or SP2 already on it in order to use AutoStreamer to slipstream Sp3
> ?

- Not sure AutoStreamer will do SP3.
- Since the command to integrate SP3 insto your Windows XP CD is
/integrate - not sure what you gain anyway.
- nLite *does* do SP3 if you need a third party program to do the /integrate
switch for you (although creating an ISO is a nice touch with nLite..)
- You do not need an SP1 or above CD in order to integrate SP3 into your
Windows XP CD. You do need an SP1 or above *working* Windows XP machine in
order to install SP3.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ed.

Re: Slipstream XP SP3
Thanks for the reply. I have used autostreamer to slip sp3 but the cd used
already had sp2 on it. Since you say nlight can do without having any
service packs on the XP cd, then I imagine autostreamer might also.

I will give it a try and see what happens.

Again thanks for the reply and info.

Ed.

> Ed. wrote:
>> I used AutoStreamer for slipstreaming in the past. I would like to
>> use it again. Can you use the original XP CD with no Service Packs
>> and use AutoStreamer to slipstream SP3?
>>
>> I ask because I saw some where if you have XP installed, you have
>> to have at least SP1 or SP2 already installed before you can
>> install SP3. If this is true, do you have to use a XP CD with SP1
>> or SP2 already on it in order to use AutoStreamer to slipstream Sp3
>> ?

> - Not sure AutoStreamer will do SP3.
> - Since the command to integrate SP3 insto your Windows XP CD is
> /integrate - not sure what you gain anyway.
> - nLite *does* do SP3 if you need a third party program to do the
> /integrate switch for you (although creating an ISO is a nice touch with
> nLite..)
> - You do not need an SP1 or above CD in order to integrate SP3 into your
> Windows XP CD. You do need an SP1 or above *working* Windows XP machine
> in order to install SP3.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan Stanley

Re: Slipstream XP SP3
<snipped>

Ed. wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I have used autostreamer to slip sp3 but the
> cd used already had sp2 on it. Since you say nlight can do without
> having any service packs on the XP cd, then I imagine autostreamer
> might also.
> I will give it a try and see what happens.
>
> Again thanks for the reply and info.

I did not say nLite can/cannot integrate SP3 into any _particular revision_
of the Windows XP CD. I said nLite can integrate SP3 and *also said* you
don't need to have anything other than an RTM Windows XP CD in order to
integrate SP3 into it (but I did not say nLite had to be used nor did I say
whether or not it will work... I am a big believer in using the tools that
came with the product and typing /integrate at the end of the line just
always worked for me. heh)

Although - to be honest - what the fascination is with integrating it into a
pure RTM CD vs. an SP1/SP1a CD vs. an SP2 CD is beyond me. You get the same
result as long as you do not further modify things.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP