Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe

Mingo

Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
Hi,

There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I click
it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown it
rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because <windows
root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
it... I can't safemode either...

Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...

Thank you in advance!

David H. Lipman

Re: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
From: "Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com>

| Hi,

| There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I click
| it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown it
| rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because <windows
| root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
| it... I can't safemode either...

| Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...

| Thank you in advance!

No, I don't think your infected.

Boot into the Recovery Console and copy...
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32

--
Dave

JBlonde99

Re: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
I got this same msg tonight on our laptop. When I stared the laptop a dell
screen came up like it was going to start then it went black and after a
while this msg came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of this file.

Once this msg comes up I can't do anything else.

I need better instructions on how to sign into the Recovery Console and copy
this.
I've never done this before.

Thanks for your help

Joyce
--

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com>
>
> | Hi,
>
> | There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I click
> | it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown it
> | rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because <windows
> | root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
> | it... I can't safemode either...
>
> | Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...
>
> | Thank you in advance!
>

> No, I don't think your infected.
>
> Boot into the Recovery Console and copy...
> C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

TaurArian

Re: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
Simple: How Do I Rectify A Missing or Corrupt Ntoskrnl Error
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ing_or_co1.htm

More detail: Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer
Disk Hardware Configuration Problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"JBlonde99" <JBlonde99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got this same msg tonight on our laptop. When I stared the laptop a dell
> screen came up like it was going to start then it went black and after a
> while this msg came up:
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
>
> Please re-install a copy of this file.
>
> Once this msg comes up I can't do anything else.
>
> I need better instructions on how to sign into the Recovery Console and
> copy
> this.
> I've never done this before.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Joyce
> --
>
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> From: "Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com>
>>
>> | Hi,
>>
>> | There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I
>> click
>> | it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long
>> shutdown it
>> | rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because
>> <windows
>> | root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to
>> reinstall
>> | it... I can't safemode either...
>>
>> | Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...
>>
>> | Thank you in advance!
>>

>> No, I don't think your infected.
>>
>> Boot into the Recovery Console and copy...
>> C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Mingo

Re: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
Thank you for the advice... It works and I was able boot windows normally.

Except it run extremely slow once in windows and it still says SP2 when i
checked..
So I had a bright to idea to restart my laptop thinking maybe SP3 wasn't
install properly and just in middle of the reboot, I get the infamous blue
screen saying need to run "CHKDSK /F" which i found out it's "/R" not
"/F"... I think it's about time to change a new hd...

Regards,

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> 撰寫於郵件新聞:u5X7Z0BKJHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.g bl...
| From: "Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com>
|
|| Hi,
|
|| There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I
click
|| it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown
it
|| rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because <windows
|| root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
|| it... I can't safemode either...
|
|| Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...
|
|| Thank you in advance!
|

| No, I don't think your infected.
|
| Boot into the Recovery Console and copy...
| C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe
| C:\WINDOWS\system32
|
| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Mingo

Re: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
Just one question: Could SP3 be the cause of disk failure ?

By the way, chkdsk /r is stuck at 51%...

Regards,

"Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com> 撰寫於郵件新聞:uBH3rQDKJHA.5904@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.g bl...
| Thank you for the advice... It works and I was able boot windows normally.
|
| Except it run extremely slow once in windows and it still says SP2 when i
| checked..
| So I had a bright to idea to restart my laptop thinking maybe SP3 wasn't
| install properly and just in middle of the reboot, I get the infamous blue
| screen saying need to run "CHKDSK /F" which i found out it's "/R" not
| "/F"... I think it's about time to change a new hd...
|
| Regards,
|

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> 撰寫於郵件新聞:u5X7Z0BKJHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.g bl...
|| From: "Mingo" <sly_007_2007_remove_@yahoo.com>
||| Hi,
||| There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I
| click
||| it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown
| it
||| rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because
<windows
||| root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
||| it... I can't safemode either...
||| Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...
||| Thank you in advance!
|| No, I don't think your infected.
|| Boot into the Recovery Console and copy...
|| C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe
|| C:\WINDOWS\system32
|| --
|| Dave
|| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
|| Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Malke

Mingo wrote:

> Just one question: Could SP3 be the cause of disk failure ?

No.

> By the way, chkdsk /r is stuck at 51%...

Very much sounds like your hard drive died. Time to buy a new one.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Shenan Stanley

Mingo wrote:
> Just one question: Could SP3 be the cause of disk failure ?

<snip>

No.

SP3 was large and likely *exposed* the failure that was hiding and waiting
to show itself. Installing software will *not* cause a full functional
(without flaws) hard disk drive to crash. It will - on many occassions -
uncover the flaws that are already there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

JBlonde99

RE: Windows Sp3 update.. ntoskrnl.exe
I put my XP CD in but can't seem to get it to run when I boot up my computer.
What Now?
--
Joyce

"Mingo" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There was a notice in my taskbar about SP3 waiting to be install so I click
> it and it took a while before it ask me to reboot, after a long shutdown it
> rebooted and prompt something like can't restart windows because <windows
> root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted!!! and It's asking to reinstall
> it... I can't safemode either...
>
> Is my PC infected? How can I reinstall ntoskrnl.exe...
>
> Thank you in advance!

Shenan Stanley

JBlonde99 wrote:
> I put my XP CD in but can't seem to get it to run when I boot up my
> computer. What Now?

Change your system BIOS (system settings) to boot from the CD drive first
and watch for the "Press any key to boot from CD"... and do ot...

BTW - if you are going to hijack a thread - at least keep your responses in
the proper placement to avoid confusion. ;-) I have included the part of
the conversation that seems to be 'your part' above.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP