[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]

jlleisis

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
Microsoft Update was working properly up until about a month ago and now when
MU runs a scan on my computer checking to see which updates I need I will
receive the error number in the subject line.
I checked to make sure that Background Inteligent Transfer Service is
running which it was along with Event Log however when I clicked start under
Automatic Updates, List of Services I received a dialog box that states "it
is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

I would appreciate a reply from anyone who might have experience with this
error number or who might understand what is currently going on with my
computer.
Thanks in advance.

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jlleisis wrote:
> Microsoft Update was working properly up until about a month ago and now
> when MU runs a scan on my computer checking to see which updates I need I
> will receive the error number in the subject line.
> I checked to make sure that Background Inteligent Transfer Service is
> running which it was along with Event Log however when I clicked start
> under
> Automatic Updates, List of Services I received a dialog box that states
> "it
> is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".
>
> I would appreciate a reply from anyone who might have experience with this
> error number or who might understand what is currently going on with my
> computer.
> Thanks in advance.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
The first step in diagnosing this issue is to have the system scanned
here for the presence of malware:

IF there is no malware present, see:

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or
the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the
Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

And, if the One Care Scanner does detect the presence of malware,
*strongly* suggest that after the scan you visit one of these reputable
anti-malware forums for further assistance in getting the system as
cleaned up as possible:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Please read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting
there.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

jlleisis wrote:

> Microsoft Update was working properly up until about a month ago and now when
> MU runs a scan on my computer checking to see which updates I need I will
> receive the error number in the subject line.
> I checked to make sure that Background Inteligent Transfer Service is
> running which it was along with Event Log however when I clicked start under
> Automatic Updates, List of Services I received a dialog box that states "it
> is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".
>
> I would appreciate a reply from anyone who might have experience with this
> error number or who might understand what is currently going on with my
> computer.
> Thanks in advance.

jlleisis

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
Thanks for your reply, it seems I have some work to do in cleaning up my
computer. I'm surprised my computer became infected with the McAfee
installed and running in the background.

Thanks, jlleisis

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
> usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
> protected by a rootkit.
>
> Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jlleisis wrote:
> > Microsoft Update was working properly up until about a month ago and now
> > when MU runs a scan on my computer checking to see which updates I need I
> > will receive the error number in the subject line.
> > I checked to make sure that Background Inteligent Transfer Service is
> > running which it was along with Event Log however when I clicked start
> > under
> > Automatic Updates, List of Services I received a dialog box that states
> > "it
> > is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".
> >
> > I would appreciate a reply from anyone who might have experience with this
> > error number or who might understand what is currently going on with my
> > computer.
> > Thanks in advance.

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
<pft> As if...