Support for Pre-release software

goorambatman

Support for Pre-release software
Windows Update doesn't support pre-release versions of software (Beta
Versions) very well at all. I'm often scouting Microsoft Connect for a Beta
to test but if you don't continually log in there and check you can't tell
when the next major build or beta is released.

I had IE 8 Beta 1 and a very old version of Windows Advisor (Now Microsoft
PC Advisor) installed before I found there was a new beta build.

I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing as
testers would most likely be using the most up to date version and testing
the latest changes which is what Beta testing is all about.

Even if WU only notified users there was a new version/build they should
upgrade to it would be good.

I know it can be dificult as there are often many builds but WU should
definatly work with Major changes in Beta's.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate
David B.

Re: Support for Pre-release software
I won't be voting for that one, you'd end up with clueless people that have
no idea what a beta is or any clue of the risks they accept when installing
it loading all kinds of crap on their machines and getting themselves into
trouble.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"goorambatman" <goorambatman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Update doesn't support pre-release versions of software (Beta
> Versions) very well at all. I'm often scouting Microsoft Connect for a
> Beta
> to test but if you don't continually log in there and check you can't tell
> when the next major build or beta is released.
>
> I had IE 8 Beta 1 and a very old version of Windows Advisor (Now Microsoft
> PC Advisor) installed before I found there was a new beta build.
>
> I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing as
> testers would most likely be using the most up to date version and testing
> the latest changes which is what Beta testing is all about.
>
> Even if WU only notified users there was a new version/build they should
> upgrade to it would be good.
>
> I know it can be dificult as there are often many builds but WU should
> definatly work with Major changes in Beta's.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate

Re: Support for Pre-release software
> I had IE 8 Beta 1 installed before I found there was a new beta build.

Those enrolled in the private IE8 Beta were notified (via Connect) of IE8
Beta 2 on 27 Aug-08:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...available.aspx

> I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing

<QP>
Internet Explorer Beta 2 will be offered to those Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003 systems that have IE8 Beta 1 installed and have Automatic
Updates turned on...
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

goorambatman wrote:
> Windows Update doesn't support pre-release versions of software (Beta
> Versions) very well at all. I'm often scouting Microsoft Connect for a
> Beta
> to test but if you don't continually log in there and check you can't tell
> when the next major build or beta is released.
>
> I had IE 8 Beta 1 and a very old version of Windows Advisor (Now Microsoft
> PC Advisor) installed before I found there was a new beta build.
>
> I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing as
> testers would most likely be using the most up to date version and testing
> the latest changes which is what Beta testing is all about.
>
> Even if WU only notified users there was a new version/build they should
> upgrade to it would be good.
>
> I know it can be dificult as there are often many builds but WU should
> definatly work with Major changes in Beta's.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Support for Pre-release software
[In line]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> I had IE 8 Beta 1 installed before I found there was a new beta build.

> Those enrolled in the private IE8 Beta were notified (via Connect) of IE8
> Beta 2 on 27 Aug-08:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...available.aspx

>> I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing

> <QP>
> Internet Explorer Beta 2 will be offered to those Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003 systems that have IE8 Beta 1 installed and have Automatic
> Updates turned on...
> </QP>
> Source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx

Adding:
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...a-2-on-wu.aspx

---
Vincenzo Di Russo

> goorambatman wrote:
>> Windows Update doesn't support pre-release versions of software (Beta
>> Versions) very well at all. I'm often scouting Microsoft Connect for a
>> Beta
>> to test but if you don't continually log in there and check you can't
>> tell when the next major build or beta is released.
>>
>> I had IE 8 Beta 1 and a very old version of Windows Advisor (Now
>> Microsoft PC Advisor) installed before I found there was a new beta
>> build.
>>
>> I think if WU updated Beta software that this would improve testing as
>> testers would most likely be using the most up to date version and
>> testing the latest changes which is what Beta testing is all about.
>>
>> Even if WU only notified users there was a new version/build they should
>> upgrade to it would be good.
>>
>> I know it can be dificult as there are often many builds but WU should
>> definatly work with Major changes in Beta's.

Re: Support for Pre-release software
[grazie]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [grazie]

[YW ;-)]

---
Vincenzo Di Russo

> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>> [In line]

>>> Those enrolled in the private IE8 Beta were notified (via Connect) of
>>> IE8 Beta 2 on 27 Aug-08:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...available.aspx

>>> <QP>
>>> Internet Explorer Beta 2 will be offered to those Windows XP and Windows
>>> Server 2003 systems that have IE8 Beta 1 installed and have Automatic
>>> Updates turned on...
>>> </QP>
>>> Source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx

>> Adding:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...a-2-on-wu.aspx
>>
>> ---
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

goorambatman

Re: Support for Pre-release software
I agree David, those with full versions shouldn't be updated to beta
versions, but those who already have Beta versions should be updated to newer
beta versions via windows update.

I think there should be better communication between what is on WU and
Microsoft Connect.

I think that Beta software is very poorly supported on WU and it would be
good for both the testers and software developers are using/testing the most
up to date software with the most up to date new features and fixes....