Antivirus2009

Jack

Antivirus2009
This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my system.
It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps popping
up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it just stays
there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click does
nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or remove from
my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I tried
deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar. Anybody
experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
registration work?
--
Jack
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Antivirus2009
Jack wrote:

> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my
> system. It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it
> keeps popping up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing
> happens, it just stays there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar
> and a right click does nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I
> try install or remove from my system. I did a windows explorer search and
> found it but when I tried deleting it, it will not delete because it is
> open on my toolbar. Anybody experienced this joke of a program. Is it
> valid? If so why won't the registration work?

Your computer is infected with a fake (rogue) antivirus.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...antivirus-2009
"How to remove Antivirus 2009 (Uninstall Instructions)".
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...irus-2008-2009
"How to remove XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntiVirus
(Removal Instructions)".

This is the Windows Update Newsgroup, Jack. For better assistance I suggest
you to post to the Microsoft Security - Viruses newsgroup.
Via your newsreader:
Via Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...security.virus

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Kayman

Re: Antivirus2009
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 05:26:04 -0700, Jack wrote:

> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my system.
> It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps popping
> up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it just stays
> there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click does
> nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or remove from
> my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I tried
> deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar. Anybody
> experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
> registration work?

Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
Engel

RE: Antivirus2009
Hello Jack,

In addition to the other excellent advice from Kayman and Vincenzo Di Russo

Talking about rogues
<http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/02/rogue-antivirus-a-closer-look-at-win32-antivirusxp.aspx>

See if anything here helps.
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=8fdd4 871-09fc-4e11-8a4d-ce2b29349c16&mid=8fdd4871-09fc-4e11-8a4d-ce2b29349c16>

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.security&p=1& tid=d4639048-0866-44b0-82e5-53f1c6e42b30&mid=d4639048-0866-44b0-82e5-53f1c6e42b30>

The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
One more important issue ! to know about all rouge poducts.
<http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm>

Safe Hex - Safe Computing Tips
<http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html>

Beware and Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Jack" wrote:

> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my system.
> It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps popping
> up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it just stays
> there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click does
> nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or remove from
> my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I tried
> deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar. Anybody
> experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
> registration work?
> --
> Jack

JAMBOY

RE: Antivirus2009

"Jack" wrote:

> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my system.
> It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps popping
> up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it just stays
> there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click does
> nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or remove from
> my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I tried
> deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar. Anybody
> experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
> registration work?
> --
> Jack

Jack Mac

Re: Antivirus2009

"JAMBOY" <JAMBOY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my
>> system.
>> It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps
>> popping
>> up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it just
>> stays
>> there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click does
>> nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or remove
>> from
>> my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I tried
>> deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar. Anybody
>> experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
>> registration work?
>> --
>> Jack

Do a google search for Antivirus2009 and you'll get a number of sites
offering a
program for uninstalling this spyware. It's a repeat of one called
Antivirus2008
that some also received.

Jack Mac

Sunny

Re: Antivirus2009

"Jack Mac" <ae4q@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "JAMBOY" <JAMBOY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Jack" wrote:
>>
>>> This morning a program called Antivirus2009 downloaded itself on my
>>> system.
>>> It appears to be a windows program - but is suspect. Worse, it keeps
>>> popping
>>> up on my screen and if I try and register it - nothing happens, it
>>> just stays
>>> there. It has installed itself on my lower toolbar and a right click
>>> does
>>> nothing. It is not listed on my program list if I try install or
>>> remove from
>>> my system. I did a windows explorer search and found it but when I
>>> tried
>>> deleting it, it will not delete because it is open on my toolbar.
>>> Anybody
>>> experienced this joke of a program. Is it valid? If so why won't the
>>> registration work?
>>> --
>>> Jack

> Do a google search for Antivirus2009 and you'll get a number of sites
> offering a
> program for uninstalling this spyware. It's a repeat of one called
> Antivirus2008
> that some also received.
>
> Jack Mac

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...antivirus-2009