Slow booting up

Kathy

Slow booting up
I installed the latest windows XP update and now my computer is really slow
booting up. Has anyone experienced the same problem?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Slow booting up
Kathy wrote:
> I installed the latest windows XP update and now my computer is
> really slow booting up. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

I'm sure someone has experienced something that sounds the same.

The real question is whether or not it has affected the actual usage of the
computer after bootup/logon? As it is entirely possible that the system
does have more to check/load at startup because of some updates (even if
just for a short while) - but the startup time of a computer does not equate
to its usage performance directly. Long startup times can be caused by a
variety of things - usually associated with the words 'loading' or
'timeout'... How does the computer work after you have booted and klogged
in?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kathy

Re: Slow booting up
It works just fine. I haven't noticed any differences. From your response,
I'm wondering if it will do this for only the first few logins because it's
checking stuff via the new security update. Is it possible that it will get
quicker as time goes on? As a matter of face, it took a real long time to
start up the first time after the update and the next time seemed to be a
little faster.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Kathy wrote:
> > I installed the latest windows XP update and now my computer is
> > really slow booting up. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

> I'm sure someone has experienced something that sounds the same.
>
> The real question is whether or not it has affected the actual usage of the
> computer after bootup/logon? As it is entirely possible that the system
> does have more to check/load at startup because of some updates (even if
> just for a short while) - but the startup time of a computer does not equate
> to its usage performance directly. Long startup times can be caused by a
> variety of things - usually associated with the words 'loading' or
> 'timeout'... How does the computer work after you have booted and klogged
> in?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Slow booting up
Have you rebooted since installing KB954920?

Does uninstalling KB954920 via Add/Remove Programs resolve the problem?

Kathy wrote:
> I installed the latest windows XP update and now my computer is really
> slow
> booting up. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Devyn

Re: Slow booting up

Try these:
http://www.microdevsys.com/WordPress/?p=54

Occassionally some regular cleanup is necessary to get things running
smoothly again.

--
Devyn
Devyn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/devyn.htm