Problem Installing Service Pack 3

E.C

Problem Installing Service Pack 3

Hi,

I've been trying to install SP3 on my computer for two weeks, but to no
avail. My OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2005. Every time
I try to install SP3, when the installation is nearly completed, I get
the following errors:

> ngen.exe Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
> Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
> Process id=0x70(3440) Thread id=0xef8(3832)
>
> Click 'OK' to terminate the application.
> Click 'CANCEL' to debug the application.

When I click cancel, I get this:
> An unhandled exception ('System.ExecutionEngineException') occurred in
> ngen.exe[3440]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the
> following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time enabled. In
> Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from
> Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.
>
> Check documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging error' for more
> information.

And, with the ngen.exe error comes an SP3 Setup Error:
> An error in updating your system has occurred. Select 'OK' to undo the
> changes that have been made.

I click 'OK' and I get the message that 'Service Pack installation did
not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work
properly.'

I've read that the ngen.exe error has to do with .NET Framework 1.1,
but as far as I can tell, that's installed correctly and has all its
updates. I've also checked Microsoft's documentation on what has to be
done before going through with the installation ('here'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717)) and on troubleshooting Windows
XP SP3 Errors ('here' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/)), I
tried everything, but there's still no improvement.

I don't know what else to do, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
Thanks in advance,
E.C

--
E.C
E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

thecreator

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
Hi,

Have you downloaded the IT Version of Windows XP Service Pack 3 from
here:

Have you tried the Clean Install Method using msconfig?

--
thecreator

"E.C" <E.C.3gr4fb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install SP3 on my computer for two weeks, but to no
> avail. My OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2005. Every time
> I try to install SP3, when the installation is nearly completed, I get
> the following errors:
>
>> ngen.exe Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
>> Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
>> Process id=0x70(3440) Thread id=0xef8(3832)
>>
>> Click 'OK' to terminate the application.
>> Click 'CANCEL' to debug the application.

> When I click cancel, I get this:
>> An unhandled exception ('System.ExecutionEngineException') occurred in
>> ngen.exe[3440]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the
>> following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time enabled. In
>> Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from
>> Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.
>>
>> Check documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging error' for more
>> information.

> And, with the ngen.exe error comes an SP3 Setup Error:
>> An error in updating your system has occurred. Select 'OK' to undo the
>> changes that have been made.

> I click 'OK' and I get the message that 'Service Pack installation did
> not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work
> properly.'
>
> I've read that the ngen.exe error has to do with .NET Framework 1.1,
> but as far as I can tell, that's installed correctly and has all its
> updates. I've also checked Microsoft's documentation on what has to be
> done before going through with the installation ('here'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717)) and on troubleshooting Windows
> XP SP3 Errors ('here' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/)), I
> tried everything, but there's still no improvement.
>
> I don't know what else to do, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
> Thanks in advance,
> E.C
>

> --
> E.C
> E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1049295.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

E.C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install SP3 on my computer for two weeks, but to no
> avail. My OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2005. Every time
> I try to install SP3, when the installation is nearly completed, I get
> the following errors:
>
>> ngen.exe Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
>> Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
>> Process id=0x70(3440) Thread id=0xef8(3832)
>>
>> Click 'OK' to terminate the application.
>> Click 'CANCEL' to debug the application.

> When I click cancel, I get this:
>> An unhandled exception ('System.ExecutionEngineException') occurred in
>> ngen.exe[3440]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the
>> following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time enabled. In
>> Visual Studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from
>> Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.
>>
>> Check documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging error' for more
>> information.

> And, with the ngen.exe error comes an SP3 Setup Error:
>> An error in updating your system has occurred. Select 'OK' to undo the
>> changes that have been made.

> I click 'OK' and I get the message that 'Service Pack installation did
> not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work
> properly.'
>
> I've read that the ngen.exe error has to do with .NET Framework 1.1,
> but as far as I can tell, that's installed correctly and has all its
> updates. I've also checked Microsoft's documentation on what has to be
> done before going through with the installation ('here'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717)) and on troubleshooting Windows
> XP SP3 Errors ('here' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/)), I
> tried everything, but there's still no improvement.
>
> I don't know what else to do, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
> Thanks in advance,
> E.C

E.C

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3

the creator, I have tried Clean Install, but nothing changed. I still
get the same errors. Concerning the IT Version, why would I download it
since it's just one computer I'm updating? Does it make any difference?

PA Bear, I had already checked the websites you mentioned before
posting my problem here, I followed the steps they suggested, and the
problem still remained. But I appreciate the help.

Now I'm starting to believe that the ngen.exe error is the root of the
problem. I have .NET Framework Versions 1.1 and 2.0 installed on my
computer (it's a laptop by the way), complete with their updates, I have
uninstalled and re-installed them in hopes that would solve the problem,
but still nothing works. Any ideas?

Thank you,
E.C

--
E.C
E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1049295.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TaurArian

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
Repeat :

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

"E.C" <E.C.3gsz3b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> the creator, I have tried Clean Install, but nothing changed. I still
> get the same errors. Concerning the IT Version, why would I download it
> since it's just one computer I'm updating? Does it make any difference?
>
> PA Bear, I had already checked the websites you mentioned before
> posting my problem here, I followed the steps they suggested, and the
> problem still remained. But I appreciate the help.
>
> Now I'm starting to believe that the ngen.exe error is the root of the
> problem. I have .NET Framework Versions 1.1 and 2.0 installed on my
> computer (it's a laptop by the way), complete with their updates, I have
> uninstalled and re-installed them in hopes that would solve the problem,
> but still nothing works. Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> E.C
>

> --
> E.C
> E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1049295.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
Repost:

~PA Bear

E.C wrote:
> the creator, I have tried Clean Install, but nothing changed. I still
> get the same errors. Concerning the IT Version, why would I download it
> since it's just one computer I'm updating? Does it make any difference?
>
> PA Bear, I had already checked the websites you mentioned before
> posting my problem here, I followed the steps they suggested, and the
> problem still remained. But I appreciate the help.
>
> Now I'm starting to believe that the ngen.exe error is the root of the
> problem. I have .NET Framework Versions 1.1 and 2.0 installed on my
> computer (it's a laptop by the way), complete with their updates, I have
> uninstalled and re-installed them in hopes that would solve the problem,
> but still nothing works. Any ideas?

Jim

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3

"E.C" <E.C.3gsz3b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> the creator, I have tried Clean Install, but nothing changed. I still
> get the same errors. Concerning the IT Version, why would I download it
> since it's just one computer I'm updating? Does it make any difference?
>
> PA Bear, I had already checked the websites you mentioned before
> posting my problem here, I followed the steps they suggested, and the
> problem still remained. But I appreciate the help.
>
> Now I'm starting to believe that the ngen.exe error is the root of the
> problem. I have .NET Framework Versions 1.1 and 2.0 installed on my
> computer (it's a laptop by the way), complete with their updates, I have
> uninstalled and re-installed them in hopes that would solve the problem,
> but still nothing works. Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> E.C
>

> --
> E.C
> E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1049295.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

E. C., the fine folks have been trying to tell you to open a problem with
MS, because your problem is a bit to involved for solution in a newsgroup.
So, why don't you?
You could also try the CD version because it has all of the updates instead
of just those that seem to be needed by Windows Update.
In short, either the CD or the IT version might have the program which seems
to be missing from your system.
Jim

E.C

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3

Well, it does seem to be complicated, doesn't it? I guess you're right
Jim, I should open a problem with MS. I thought it might be easier to
find an answer here, but I guess I was wrong. I'll try the IT and the CD
versions first and if they don't work, I'll take it up with MS.

Anyway, thank you everyone for the help! I truly appreciate it!

--
E.C
E.C's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/e-c.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1049295.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
--
~PA Bear

E.C wrote:
> Well, it does seem to be complicated, doesn't it? I guess you're right
> Jim, I should open a problem with MS. I thought it might be easier to
> find an answer here, but I guess I was wrong. I'll try the IT and the CD
> versions first and if they don't work, I'll take it up with MS.
>
> Anyway, thank you everyone for the help! I truly appreciate it!

Gemi569

Re: Problem Installing Service Pack 3
Hello!

I'm having problems installing Windows XP SP3. I've tried to install it
twice and I keep getting an error (Error Code: 0x80070005). Now my internet
explorer will not work properly and I think it's because of the failed
installation. Please help! What should I do?

Gemi569