Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re: service pack 3 won't install

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: service pack 3 won't install
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on the
system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894

How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
disk capacity of 4 GB or less
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324

Also see http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

More...

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do not
have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375

=======
WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Luis Ortega wrote:
> I keep trying to install service pack 3 and it fails with a message that
> a windows folder for installation doesn't have enough free disk space
> and I need to gain 4 mb more space. The drive it is on has about 300 GB
> free but I went ahead and deleted about a GB of stuff anyway and it
> still gives me the same silly message.
> Can anyone please advise me on what is going on and what I can do about
> it?
> Thanks for any advice.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
John w
 

Posts: n/a
Re: service pack 3 won't install


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on the
> system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894
>
> How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
> disk capacity of 4 GB or less
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324
>
> Also see http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
>
> More...
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do not
> have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
> enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375
>
> =======
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>
> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Luis Ortega wrote:
> > I keep trying to install service pack 3 and it fails with a message that
> > a windows folder for installation doesn't have enough free disk space
> > and I need to gain 4 mb more space. The drive it is on has about 300 GB
> > free but I went ahead and deleted about a GB of stuff anyway and it
> > still gives me the same silly message.
> > Can anyone please advise me on what is going on and what I can do about
> > it?
> > Thanks for any advice.

>


I have the same problem... ANy solutions out there?
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: service pack 3 won't install
Luis Ortega wrote:
> I keep trying to install service pack 3 and it fails with a
> message that a windows folder for installation doesn't have
> enough free disk space and I need to gain 4 mb more space. The
> drive it is on has about 300 GB free but I went ahead and deleted
> about a GB of stuff anyway and it still gives me the same silly
> message.
>
> Can anyone please advise me on what is going on and what I can do
> about it?


PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space
> on the system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894
>
> How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a
> hard disk capacity of 4 GB or less
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324
>
> Also see http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
>
> More...
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> "You do not have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install
> Service Pack 3": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not
> have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the
> uninstall files": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375
>
> =======
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>
> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
> for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09.
> Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and
> Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"


John w wrote:
> I have the same problem... ANy solutions out there?


In addition to the suggestions already given... I will give you the
response I did not cross-post (as PA did) to this group (to the original
poster):

(Note: don't just go by the symptoms, try the solutions even if you
*believe* the symtoms do not fit in some cases - as sometimes the answers
given here are tried/true but the articles in the links don't reflect all
the possible scenarios where it would work.)

(Note 2: If none of the solutions above/below work - use the free Microsoft
support for SP3! That link is included in my answer below and in PA Bear's
answer above.)

Have you given all the pertinent information that would allow someone not
looking at the problem with you might need to give you suggestions?

Like:

- Is this install actually on a Macintosh (using - say - Boot Camp)?
- What else have you done to try and resolve it?
- What drive letter is given when you...
START button --> RUN --> type in:
cmd /k echo %SystemDrive%
--> Click OK?
- Is that the drive letter with all the free space?
- If you...
START button --> RUN --> type in:
cmd /k dir /ad /c /d
--> Click OK...
... What is the number to the left of the words "bytes free"?

Truthfully - we are assuming you mean Windows XP Service Pack 3 and not one
of the other service packs at this point. Is that what you mean?

Figure you tried this (you mentioned Disk Cleanup)...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

For grins - do that and additionally...

While in Disk Cleanup click the "More Options" tab and then, at the
bottom (System Restore) click Clean Up. This will remove all but the
last system restore point.

Reboot.

Download the SP3 IT executable and save it to your desktop and try
installing it from there.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en


Further information...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Only other thing - is this a Macintosh running BootCamp?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950716

Come back - let us know what fixed it and why - for posterity (yes - this is
archived indefinitely.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: service pack 3 won't install
"John w" wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on
>> the
>> system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894
>>
>> How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
>> disk capacity of 4 GB or less
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324
>>
>> Also see http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
>>
>> More...
>>
>> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "You do
>> not
>> have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service Pack 3":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
>>
>> Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
>> enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375
>>
>> =======
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Luis Ortega wrote:
>> > I keep trying to install service pack 3 and it fails with a message
>> > that
>> > a windows folder for installation doesn't have enough free disk space
>> > and I need to gain 4 mb more space. The drive it is on has about 300 GB
>> > free but I went ahead and deleted about a GB of stuff anyway and it
>> > still gives me the same silly message.
>> > Can anyone please advise me on what is going on and what I can do about
>> > it?
>> > Thanks for any advice.

>>

>
> I have the same problem... ANy solutions out there?


Yes. See my reply above.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
Tom
 

Posts: n/a
Re: service pack 3 won't install
Shenan,

Thanks for your help. I had the exact problem as the OP. Most likely he was
running BOOT CAMP like i was. I just simply forgot to install the BOOTCAMP
update which in one of your links suggested I do

SP3 installed without any errors.

Much appreciated

Tom

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Luis Ortega wrote:
> > I keep trying to install service pack 3 and it fails with a
> > message that a windows folder for installation doesn't have
> > enough free disk space and I need to gain 4 mb more space. The
> > drive it is on has about 300 GB free but I went ahead and deleted
> > about a GB of stuff anyway and it still gives me the same silly
> > message.
> >
> > Can anyone please advise me on what is going on and what I can do
> > about it?

>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >
> > You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space
> > on the system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894
> >
> > How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a
> > hard disk capacity of 4 GB or less
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324
> >
> > Also see http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
> >
> > More...
> >
> > Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> > "You do not have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install
> > Service Pack 3": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
> >
> > Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not
> > have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the
> > uninstall files": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375
> >
> > =======
> > WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >
> > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
> > for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09.
> > Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and
> > Canada. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> > "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

>
> John w wrote:
> > I have the same problem... ANy solutions out there?

>
> In addition to the suggestions already given... I will give you the
> response I did not cross-post (as PA did) to this group (to the original
> poster):
>
> (Note: don't just go by the symptoms, try the solutions even if you
> *believe* the symtoms do not fit in some cases - as sometimes the answers
> given here are tried/true but the articles in the links don't reflect all
> the possible scenarios where it would work.)
>
> (Note 2: If none of the solutions above/below work - use the free Microsoft
> support for SP3! That link is included in my answer below and in PA Bear's
> answer above.)
>
> Have you given all the pertinent information that would allow someone not
> looking at the problem with you might need to give you suggestions?
>
> Like:
>
> - Is this install actually on a Macintosh (using - say - Boot Camp)?
> - What else have you done to try and resolve it?
> - What drive letter is given when you...
> START button --> RUN --> type in:
> cmd /k echo %SystemDrive%
> --> Click OK?
> - Is that the drive letter with all the free space?
> - If you...
> START button --> RUN --> type in:
> cmd /k dir /ad /c /d
> --> Click OK...
> ... What is the number to the left of the words "bytes free"?
>
> Truthfully - we are assuming you mean Windows XP Service Pack 3 and not one
> of the other service packs at this point. Is that what you mean?
>
> Figure you tried this (you mentioned Disk Cleanup)...
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385
>
> For grins - do that and additionally...
>
> While in Disk Cleanup click the "More Options" tab and then, at the
> bottom (System Restore) click Clean Up. This will remove all but the
> last system restore point.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download the SP3 IT executable and save it to your desktop and try
> installing it from there.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
>
> Further information...
>
> A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Only other thing - is this a Macintosh running BootCamp?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950716
>
> Come back - let us know what fixed it and why - for posterity (yes - this is
> archived indefinitely.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Pack 3 install chunhengpang microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 08-07-2008 00:06
service pack 3 install pdq24 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 07-29-2008 08:38
Service Pack Install Mossie microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 05-04-2008 10:34
Service Pack Install Mossie microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 05-04-2008 10:34
Service Pack 2 After-install? theTh1rt33nth_1 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 01-21-2008 10:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120