cant update windows

wllygtr

cant update windows
i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. windows xp sp1 home
edition. when i go to the windows update page, it wont go past the first
page, where it says "checking if you have the latest update software" no
codes or errors (automatic updates are on) this is day 3 after recovery, 2nd
time ran recover disc. after the first recovery, i could not do updates, i
manually went to the ms webite and downloaded sp2 and installed it without a
problem. then i tried to download
internet explorer 7, and could not get past the first screen, thinking i
might have deleted something important while clearing my desktop, i ran the
recover disc a second time, and still have the same problem. i did not
download sp2 yet, hoping i could find a fix to the root problem. i have tried
looking for a solution. i did turn on automatic updates, tried a very
detailed repair including setting the BITS, and adding microsoft pages to the
trusted sites. i even tried the online support for microsoft, and it goes to
the page where it says "loading" and wont go any further. i am still on sp1
hoping to find a fix

em portugues

RE: cant update windows

"wllygtr" wrote:

> i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. windows xp sp1 home
> edition. when i go to the windows update page, it wont go past the first
> page, where it says "checking if you have the latest update software" no
> codes or errors (automatic updates are on) this is day 3 after recovery, 2nd
> time ran recover disc. after the first recovery, i could not do updates, i
> manually went to the ms webite and downloaded sp2 and installed it without a
> problem. then i tried to download
> internet explorer 7, and could not get past the first screen, thinking i
> might have deleted something important while clearing my desktop, i ran the
> recover disc a second time, and still have the same problem. i did not
> download sp2 yet, hoping i could find a fix to the root problem. i have tried
> looking for a solution. i did turn on automatic updates, tried a very
> detailed repair including setting the BITS, and adding microsoft pages to the
> trusted sites. i even tried the online support for microsoft, and it goes to
> the page where it says "loading" and wont go any further. i am still on sp1
> hoping to find a fix

Engel

RE: cant update windows
Hello wllygtr,

Clean up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and included all
offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a Disk
CleanUp.

Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in
the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
- -- ---

First, try running chkdsk to check the Hard Drive for inconsistencies.
Then run a defrag:

Check your hard disk for errors
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/bc1393cf-9f9c-79c7-0f91-9337c2c41f811033.mspx>

Improve performance by defragmenting your hard disk
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1399f42d-c6d4-4716-97a7-612a1f0598e31033.mspx>

If doing the above does not resolve the errors, see if running Dial-a-Fix
Tool resolves them:

For XP they are 2 o 3 solutions, here is two of them Dial-ª-Fix

Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.

<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix

Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.

After it has finished, Reboot

Try Windows Update and see if you can get your updates installed.
--

OR

You might want to try Eddie Bowers tool:

<www.codeplex.com/aureset>
--

Clean Install Windows XP
<http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html>

Good luck and Let us know what hªppens.

-=-

"wllygtr" wrote:

> i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. windows xp sp1 home
> edition. when i go to the windows update page, it wont go past the first
> page, where it says "checking if you have the latest update software" no
> codes or errors (automatic updates are on) this is day 3 after recovery, 2nd
> time ran recover disc. after the first recovery, i could not do updates, i
> manually went to the ms webite and downloaded sp2 and installed it without a
> problem. then i tried to download
> internet explorer 7, and could not get past the first screen, thinking i
> might have deleted something important while clearing my desktop, i ran the
> recover disc a second time, and still have the same problem. i did not
> download sp2 yet, hoping i could find a fix to the root problem. i have tried
> looking for a solution. i did turn on automatic updates, tried a very
> detailed repair including setting the BITS, and adding microsoft pages to the
> trusted sites. i even tried the online support for microsoft, and it goes to
> the page where it says "loading" and wont go any further. i am still on sp1
> hoping to find a fix

Re: cant update windows
Please see replies to your first thread!