Not able to update windows.

Griffithguy

Not able to update windows.
When I attempt to update, I receive the following message:

"Install new Windows Update software.
To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows Update.
Your automatic settings won't change.
To install the update Windows Update will automatically close and re-open".

WHen I click "Install Now" the update process seems to work however it
doesnt close and reopen as it said will happen. It does not install anything
and goes back to the above message again. It appears not to be checking for
updates because the date listed under "Most recent check for updates" does
not change

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Not able to update windows.
Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.

*For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
Stopped.
Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network, Enable
the native Windows firewall for now.

Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
take some time.
Reboot afterwards.

*Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall]*

See if the system can update successfully now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Griffithguy wrote:

> When I attempt to update, I receive the following message:
>
> "Install new Windows Update software.
> To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows Update.
> Your automatic settings won't change.
> To install the update Windows Update will automatically close and re-open".
>
> WHen I click "Install Now" the update process seems to work however it
> doesnt close and reopen as it said will happen. It does not install anything
> and goes back to the above message again. It appears not to be checking for
> updates because the date listed under "Most recent check for updates" does
> not change

Griffithguy

Re: Not able to update windows.
Thanks. It worked.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
> Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
>
> *For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
> Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
> the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
> Stopped.
> Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network, Enable
> the native Windows firewall for now.
>
> Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
> take some time.
> Reboot afterwards.
>
> *Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
> disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall]*
>
> See if the system can update successfully now.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Griffithguy wrote:
>
> > When I attempt to update, I receive the following message:
> >
> > "Install new Windows Update software.
> > To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows Update.
> > Your automatic settings won't change.
> > To install the update Windows Update will automatically close and re-open".
> >
> > WHen I click "Install Now" the update process seems to work however it
> > doesnt close and reopen as it said will happen. It does not install anything
> > and goes back to the above message again. It appears not to be checking for
> > updates because the date listed under "Most recent check for updates" does
> > not change

Shenan Stanley

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
> Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
>
> *For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
> Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or
> visit the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and
> processes are Stopped.
> Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network,
> Enable the native Windows firewall for now.
>
> Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation
> can take some time.
> Reboot afterwards.
>
> *Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall
> was disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows
> firewall]*
> See if the system can update successfully now.

Nice - I may borrow/rewrite some of that to put in some of my spiels (with
your permission/credit...)

Do you mind?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Not able to update windows.
[In line]

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)

http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

> Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
>
> *For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
> Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
> the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
> Stopped.
> Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network, Enable
> the native Windows firewall for now.

[Hi MowGreen]
A good guide:
How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus
How to Temporarily Disable your Firewall
How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-malware Scanners

---
Vincenzo Di Russo

> Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
> take some time.
> Reboot afterwards.
>
> *Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
> disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall]*
>
> See if the system can update successfully now.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Griffithguy wrote:
>
>> When I attempt to update, I receive the following message:
>>
>> "Install new Windows Update software.
>> To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows Update.
>> Your automatic settings won't change.
>> To install the update Windows Update will automatically close and
>> re-open".
>>
>> WHen I click "Install Now" the update process seems to work however it
>> doesnt close and reopen as it said will happen. It does not install
>> anything and goes back to the above message again. It appears not to be
>> checking for updates because the date listed under "Most recent check
>> for updates" does not change

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Not able to update windows.
Now we need a UserGuide on how to disable malware, Vincenzo <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
> [In line]
>
> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>
>>Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
>>

> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>
>>Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
>>
>>*For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
>>Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
>>the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
>>Stopped.
>>Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network, Enable
>>the native Windows firewall for now.

> [Hi MowGreen]
> A good guide:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html
> How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus
> How to Temporarily Disable your Firewall
> How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-malware Scanners
>
> ---
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/
>

>>Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
>>take some time.
>>Reboot afterwards.
>>
>>*Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
>>disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall]*
>>
>>See if the system can update successfully now.
>>

>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Griffithguy wrote:
>>

>>>When I attempt to update, I receive the following message:
>>>
>>>"Install new Windows Update software.
>>>To check for updates you must first install an update for Windows Update.
>>>Your automatic settings won't change.
>>>To install the update Windows Update will automatically close and
>>>re-open".
>>>
>>>WHen I click "Install Now" the update process seems to work however it
>>>doesnt close and reopen as it said will happen. It does not install
>>>anything and goes back to the above message again. It appears not to be
>>>checking for updates because the date listed under "Most recent check
>>>for updates" does not change

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Not able to update windows.
Of course not, Shenan. Use it as you wish <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>
>>Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
>>http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263
>>
>>Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
>>
>>*For now, TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite*
>>Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or
>>visit the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and
>>processes are Stopped.
>>Since the system still needs to be connected to the net/network,
>>Enable the native Windows firewall for now.
>>
>>Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation
>>can take some time.
>>Reboot afterwards.
>>
>>*Reenable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall
>>was disabled, reenable that too, then disable the native Windows
>>firewall]*
>>See if the system can update successfully now.

> Nice - I may borrow/rewrite some of that to put in some of my spiels (with
> your permission/credit...)
>
> Do you mind?

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

> Now we need a UserGuide on how to disable malware, Vincenzo <w>

Yep :-)

---
Vincenzo Di Russo