cant update windows

wllygtr

cant update windows
i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the windows
update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says "checking if you
have the latest update software" no codes or errors (automatic updates are
on) Help

Re: cant update windows
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP1; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

wllygtr wrote:
> i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the
> windows update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says
> "checking if you have the latest update software" no codes or errors
> (automatic updates are on) Help

wllygtr

Re: cant update windows
winxp sp1

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP1; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> wllygtr wrote:
> > i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the
> > windows update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says
> > "checking if you have the latest update software" no codes or errors
> > (automatic updates are on) Help

da_prince

RE: cant update windows
Did you get help for this problem?? I had the same thing happen in my windows
XP home edition I cant get past the screen & all i hav is the service pack1

"wllygtr" wrote:

> i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the windows
> update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says "checking if you
> have the latest update software" no codes or errors (automatic updates are
> on) Help

da_prince

Re: cant update windows
Hi im having the same problem as the other gentleman is there a fix to the
poblem?? I ranthe restore & can never get past the update screen Im running
windows XP home edition & have the Service oackc 1

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP1; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> wllygtr wrote:
> > i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the
> > windows update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says
> > "checking if you have the latest update software" no codes or errors
> > (automatic updates are on) Help

TaurArian

Re: cant update windows
1. You'll probably need minimum service pack 2 (although note 3 is now
available).

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server
2003, x64 Editions
Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster
Edition with Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E6&displaylang

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

2. Then you'll most likely need the new WU Agent - see this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"wllygtr" <wllygtr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> winxp sp1
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP1; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> wllygtr wrote:
>> > i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the
>> > windows update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says
>> > "checking if you have the latest update software" no codes or errors
>> > (automatic updates are on) Help

da_prince

Re: cant update windows
Thank you for that I really appreciate it problem fixed!!!

"TaurArian" wrote:

> 1. You'll probably need minimum service pack 2 (although note 3 is now
> available).
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
>
> Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server
> 2003, x64 Editions
> Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster
> Edition with Service Pack 1
> Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E6&displaylang
>
> Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
>
> The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
> install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
> and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)
>
> 2. Then you'll most likely need the new WU Agent - see this link
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "wllygtr" <wllygtr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > winxp sp1
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP1; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

wllygtr

RE: cant update windows
this is day 3 after recovery, 2nd time ran recover disc. after the first
recovery, i could not do updates, i manually went to the ms webite and
downloaded sp2 and installed it without a problem. then i tried to download
internet explorer 7, and could not get past the first screen, thinking i
might have deleted something important while clearing my desktop, i ran the
recover disc a second time, and still have the same problem. i did not
download sp2 yet, hoping i could find a fix to the root problem. i have tried
looking for a solution. i did turn on automatic updates, tried a very
detailed repair including setting the BITS, and adding microsoft pages to the
trusted sites. i even tried the online support for microsoft, and it goes to
the page where it says "loading" and wont go any further. i am still on sp1
hoping to find a fix

"da_prince" wrote:

> Did you get help for this problem?? I had the same thing happen in my windows
> XP home edition I cant get past the screen & all i hav is the service pack1
>
> "wllygtr" wrote:
>
> > i ran my restore disc to completely clean out my pc. when i go to the windows
> > update page, it wont go past the first page, where it says "checking if you
> > have the latest update software" no codes or errors (automatic updates are
> > on) Help

Re: cant update windows
Proceed as follows:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Addtional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38