QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled

jnonca

QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
Below is the output from QFECHECK:

Windows XP Hotfix Validation Report for \\PENTIUM-4
Report Date: 10/2/2008 4:38pm

Current Service Pack Level: Service Pack 3

Hotfixes Identified:
ie7: Current on system.
KB938127-v2-IE7: Current on system.
KB941569: Current on system.
KB953838-IE7: Current on system.
MSCompPackV1: Current on system.
KB936929: Current on system.
KB938464: Current on system.
KB946648: Current on system.
KB950762: Current on system.
KB950974: Current on system.
KB951066: Current on system.
KB951072-v2: Current on system.
KB951376-v2: Current on system.
KB951698: Current on system.
KB951748: Current on system.
KB951978: Current on system.
KB952287: Current on system.
KB952954: Current on system.
KB953838: This hotfix should be reinstalled.

The following files are incorrect for this hotfix:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\SHLWAPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\BROWSEUI.DLL

There are two instances of KB953838. One for IE7 (KB953838-IE7) and the
second (KB953838), I assume from reading MS08-045, for IE6. I am using IE7.

Should I try to fix the second instance (KB953838)? If yes, how should I do
it?
--
jnonca

Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
Your previous thread in this newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0f03595806e92d

Open Add/Remove Programs | make sure the Show Updates box is checked |
Scroll down and tell us (1) if the following is listed and (2) the install
date (if it shows as installed):

Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jnonca wrote:
> Below is the output from QFECHECK:
>
> Windows XP Hotfix Validation Report for \\PENTIUM-4
> Report Date: 10/2/2008 4:38pm
>
> Current Service Pack Level: Service Pack 3
>
> Hotfixes Identified:
> ie7: Current on system.
> KB938127-v2-IE7: Current on system.
> KB941569: Current on system.
> KB953838-IE7: Current on system.
> MSCompPackV1: Current on system.
> KB936929: Current on system.
> KB938464: Current on system.
> KB946648: Current on system.
> KB950762: Current on system.
> KB950974: Current on system.
> KB951066: Current on system.
> KB951072-v2: Current on system.
> KB951376-v2: Current on system.
> KB951698: Current on system.
> KB951748: Current on system.
> KB951978: Current on system.
> KB952287: Current on system.
> KB952954: Current on system.
> KB953838: This hotfix should be reinstalled.
>
> The following files are incorrect for this hotfix:
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\SHLWAPI.DLL
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\BROWSEUI.DLL
>
> There are two instances of KB953838. One for IE7 (KB953838-IE7) and the
> second (KB953838), I assume from reading MS08-045, for IE6. I am using
> IE7.
>
> Should I try to fix the second instance (KB953838)? If yes, how should I
> do
> it?

jnonca

Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
Yes, that line is listed in Add or Remove Programs as installed on Oct 2,
2008. It is the only line for KB953838

In the Update History pages of Microsoft Update I also found these entries
listed in their chronological order. There are two entries for KB953838:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Oct 1, 2008
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Oct 1, 2008
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
Oct 1, 2008
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Oct 2, 2008

--
jnonca

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your previous thread in this newsgroup:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0f03595806e92d
>
> Open Add/Remove Programs | make sure the Show Updates box is checked |
> Scroll down and tell us (1) if the following is listed and (2) the install
> date (if it shows as installed):
>
> Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jnonca wrote:
> > Below is the output from QFECHECK:
> >
> > Windows XP Hotfix Validation Report for \\PENTIUM-4
> > Report Date: 10/2/2008 4:38pm
> >
> > Current Service Pack Level: Service Pack 3
> >
> > Hotfixes Identified:
> > ie7: Current on system.
> > KB938127-v2-IE7: Current on system.
> > KB941569: Current on system.
> > KB953838-IE7: Current on system.
> > MSCompPackV1: Current on system.
> > KB936929: Current on system.
> > KB938464: Current on system.
> > KB946648: Current on system.
> > KB950762: Current on system.
> > KB950974: Current on system.
> > KB951066: Current on system.
> > KB951072-v2: Current on system.
> > KB951376-v2: Current on system.
> > KB951698: Current on system.
> > KB951748: Current on system.
> > KB951978: Current on system.
> > KB952287: Current on system.
> > KB952954: Current on system.
> > KB953838: This hotfix should be reinstalled.
> >
> > The following files are incorrect for this hotfix:
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\SHLWAPI.DLL
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\BROWSEUI.DLL
> >
> > There are two instances of KB953838. One for IE7 (KB953838-IE7) and the
> > second (KB953838), I assume from reading MS08-045, for IE6. I am using
> > IE7.
> >
> > Should I try to fix the second instance (KB953838)? If yes, how should I
> > do
> > it?

Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
I present you with two (2) choices:

Choice A => Ignore it; everything's OK.

Choice B => Do the following...

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot. It's safe to ignore any "Such and such may not work if..."
warnings.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

jnonca wrote:
> Yes, that line is listed in Add or Remove Programs as installed on Oct 2,
> 2008. It is the only line for KB953838
>
> In the Update History pages of Microsoft Update I also found these entries
> listed in their chronological order. There are two entries for KB953838:
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
> (KB953838)
> Oct 1, 2008
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
> Oct 1, 2008
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> Oct 1, 2008
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB953838)
> Oct 2, 2008
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Your previous thread in this newsgroup:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0f03595806e92d
>>
>> Open Add/Remove Programs | make sure the Show Updates box is checked |
>> Scroll down and tell us (1) if the following is listed and (2) the
>> install
>> date (if it shows as installed):
>>
>> jnonca wrote:
>>> Below is the output from QFECHECK:
>>>
>>> Windows XP Hotfix Validation Report for \\PENTIUM-4
>>> Report Date: 10/2/2008 4:38pm
>>>
>>> Current Service Pack Level: Service Pack 3
>>>
>>> Hotfixes Identified:
>>> ie7: Current on system.
>>> KB938127-v2-IE7: Current on system.
>>> KB941569: Current on system.
>>> KB953838-IE7: Current on system.
>>> MSCompPackV1: Current on system.
>>> KB936929: Current on system.
>>> KB938464: Current on system.
>>> KB946648: Current on system.
>>> KB950762: Current on system.
>>> KB950974: Current on system.
>>> KB951066: Current on system.
>>> KB951072-v2: Current on system.
>>> KB951376-v2: Current on system.
>>> KB951698: Current on system.
>>> KB951748: Current on system.
>>> KB951978: Current on system.
>>> KB952287: Current on system.
>>> KB952954: Current on system.
>>> KB953838: This hotfix should be reinstalled.
>>>
>>> The following files are incorrect for this hotfix:
>>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\SHLWAPI.DLL
>>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\BROWSEUI.DLL
>>>
>>> There are two instances of KB953838. One for IE7 (KB953838-IE7) and the
>>> second (KB953838), I assume from reading MS08-045, for IE6. I am using
>>> IE7.
>>>
>>> Should I try to fix the second instance (KB953838)? If yes, how should
>>> do
>>> it?

jnonca

Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
Prior to your reply I tried Choice B because it was easy to do. It did not
fix the status.

Upon checking the security bulletin for KB953838 I notice that for IE6 and
IE7 there are links to two different downloads. I am guessing that the IE6
version was either not installed correctly or not replaced fully by the IE7
version. The IE7 version verifies correctly.

Since I am using IE7 which appears to be working OK and IE8 is on the
horizon, I will do nothing more.
--
jnonca

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I present you with two (2) choices:
>
> Choice A => Ignore it; everything's OK.
>
> Choice B => Do the following...
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> and reboot. It's safe to ignore any "Such and such may not work if..."
> warnings.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
> Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> jnonca wrote:
> > Yes, that line is listed in Add or Remove Programs as installed on Oct 2,
> > 2008. It is the only line for KB953838
> >
> > In the Update History pages of Microsoft Update I also found these entries
> > listed in their chronological order. There are two entries for KB953838:
> >
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
> > (KB953838)
> > Oct 1, 2008
> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
> > Oct 1, 2008
> > Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> > Oct 1, 2008
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> > (KB953838)
> > Oct 2, 2008
> >
> > PA Bear wrote:
> >> Your previous thread in this newsgroup:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0f03595806e92d
> >>
> >> Open Add/Remove Programs | make sure the Show Updates box is checked |
> >> Scroll down and tell us (1) if the following is listed and (2) the
> >> install
> >> date (if it shows as installed):

Re: QFECHECK says KB953838 needs to be reinstalled
You can thank the vendor who reinstalled WinXP and then installed a beta
build of WinXP SP3 (fully two months after WinXP SP3 final was released,
I'll add)...and whom you paid your hard-earned money...for your current
predicament, jnonca.

I agree with you: Leave well enough alone.