Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

failed updates

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2008
plugginaway
 

Posts: n/a
failed updates
Wish item for Updates:

for failed ones, there ought to be a Redo button.

Now, if you click on the Failure icon, you get sent to MS article
with no help, but to click on WindowsUpdate, which is what failed the
update to begin with.

This was a real pain with SP3, since my only option was to DL the
entire 324MB, and run it. Took 2 hours to crunch thru it all.

thanx
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
You can Redo any update at any time at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Your Update History at Windows Update website will list all successful and
failed installs. For the failed installs, there usually will be a red ?
icon you can click on that should take you to information related to the
failure. Your local WindowsUpdate.log will also list pertinent information
(e.g., Errors).

Posts in this newsgroup very frequently include the following references:

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

plugginaway wrote:
> Wish item for Updates:
>
> for failed ones, there ought to be a Redo button.
>
> Now, if you click on the Failure icon, you get sent to MS article
> with no help, but to click on WindowsUpdate, which is what failed the
> update to begin with.
>
> This was a real pain with SP3, since my only option was to DL the
> entire 324MB, and run it. Took 2 hours to crunch thru it all.
>
> thanx


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2008
plugginaway
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
As I stated, I clicked on the faolure button, and the info page that
came up linked me directly to the WU Home page where the SP3 was not
listed in required updates.

so, I had to DL the Entire SP3 that it said I ought NOT do, but I saw
no other way; since, again, I clicked on the red Failure button, and
the only link to update went to the dame page that Start/WU goes to,
and SP3 was not avail.

So, there ought to be a REDO button, not a closed loop of links and
massive verbiage enough to confound a saint, let alone a competent
user trying to do a known task.

cheers




PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You can Redo any update at any time at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
> Your Update History at Windows Update website will list all successful
> and failed installs. For the failed installs, there usually will be a
> red ? icon you can click on that should take you to information related
> to the failure. Your local WindowsUpdate.log will also list pertinent
> information (e.g., Errors).
>
> Posts in this newsgroup very frequently include the following references:
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>
>
> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
There are numerous reasons why neither Windows Update nor Automatic Updates
offers WinXP SP3 to a machine:

You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when you
use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307

I would NOT attempt to installed WinXP SP3 manually unless and until it's
offered by Windows Update website.
=
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

plugginaway wrote:
> As I stated, I clicked on the faolure button, and the info page that
> came up linked me directly to the WU Home page where the SP3 was not
> listed in required updates.
>
> so, I had to DL the Entire SP3 that it said I ought NOT do, but I saw
> no other way; since, again, I clicked on the red Failure button, and
> the only link to update went to the dame page that Start/WU goes to,
> and SP3 was not avail.
>
> So, there ought to be a REDO button, not a closed loop of links and
> massive verbiage enough to confound a saint, let alone a competent
> user trying to do a known task.
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> You can Redo any update at any time at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>>
>> Your Update History at Windows Update website will list all successful
>> and failed installs. For the failed installs, there usually will be a
>> red ? icon you can click on that should take you to information related
>> to the failure. Your local WindowsUpdate.log will also list pertinent
>> information (e.g., Errors).
>>
>> Posts in this newsgroup very frequently include the following references:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
plugginaway
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
one of those applied.

the sp3 had tried and failed. that KB suggests manual install. I did
that.

ought I back up a month or so and try again?

thanx


PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> There are numerous reasons why neither Windows Update nor Automatic
> Updates offers WinXP SP3 to a machine:
>
> You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when
> you use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307
>
> I would NOT attempt to installed WinXP SP3 manually unless and until
> it's offered by Windows Update website.
> =
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> plugginaway wrote:
>
>> As I stated, I clicked on the faolure button, and the info page that
>> came up linked me directly to the WU Home page where the SP3 was not
>> listed in required updates.
>>
>> so, I had to DL the Entire SP3 that it said I ought NOT do, but I saw
>> no other way; since, again, I clicked on the red Failure button, and
>> the only link to update went to the dame page that Start/WU goes to,
>> and SP3 was not avail.
>>
>> So, there ought to be a REDO button, not a closed loop of links and
>> massive verbiage enough to confound a saint, let alone a competent
>> user trying to do a known task.
>>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> You can Redo any update at any time at
>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> Your Update History at Windows Update website will list all successful
>>> and failed installs. For the failed installs, there usually will be a
>>> red ? icon you can click on that should take you to information related
>>> to the failure. Your local WindowsUpdate.log will also list pertinent
>>> information (e.g., Errors).
>>>
>>> Posts in this newsgroup very frequently include the following
>>> references:
>>>
>>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>>
>>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
> one of those applied.

Assuming you're referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307, it
lists five (5) possible CAUSES and a RESOLUTION for each: Which one applies
to your situation? Have you tried the appropriate RESOLUTION?

> ...KB suggests manual install. I did that.


And did WinXP SP3 install successfully?

> ought I back up a month or so and try again?


No, especially if you're referring to using System Restore.
--
~PA Bear

plugginaway wrote:
> one of those applied.
>
> the sp3 had tried and failed. that KB suggests manual install. I did
> that.
>
> ought I back up a month or so and try again?
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> There are numerous reasons why neither Windows Update nor Automatic
>> Updates offers WinXP SP3 to a machine:
>>
>> You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when
>> you use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307
>>
>> I would NOT attempt to installed WinXP SP3 manually unless and until
>> it's offered by Windows Update website.
>> =
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> plugginaway wrote:
>>
>>> As I stated, I clicked on the faolure button, and the info page that
>>> came up linked me directly to the WU Home page where the SP3 was not
>>> listed in required updates.
>>>
>>> so, I had to DL the Entire SP3 that it said I ought NOT do, but I saw
>>> no other way; since, again, I clicked on the red Failure button, and
>>> the only link to update went to the dame page that Start/WU goes to,
>>> and SP3 was not avail.
>>>
>>> So, there ought to be a REDO button, not a closed loop of links and
>>> massive verbiage enough to confound a saint, let alone a competent
>>> user trying to do a known task.
>>>
>>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>>
>>>> You can Redo any update at any time at
>>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>>>>
>>>> Your Update History at Windows Update website will list all successful
>>>> and failed installs. For the failed installs, there usually will be a
>>>> red ? icon you can click on that should take you to information related
>>>> to the failure. Your local WindowsUpdate.log will also list pertinent
>>>> information (e.g., Errors).
>>>>
>>>> Posts in this newsgroup very frequently include the following
>>>> references:
>>>>
>>>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>>>
>>>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>>>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
>>>> and
>>>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go
>>>> to
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>>>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
plugginaway
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
sorry - None of those applied.


PC is really sloooooow. should I uninstall the last bunch of updates
then, and retry?

thanx

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> one of those applied.

>
>
> Assuming you're referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307, it
> lists five (5) possible CAUSES and a RESOLUTION for each: Which one
> applies to your situation? Have you tried the appropriate RESOLUTION?
>
>> ...KB suggests manual install. I did that.

>
>
> And did WinXP SP3 install successfully?
>
>> ought I back up a month or so and try again?

>
>
> No, especially if you're referring to using System Restore.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: failed updates
No, open a free support incident.

"plugginaway" <anon> wrote in message
news:eRg5$qbJJHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> sorry - None of those applied.
>
>
> PC is really sloooooow. should I uninstall the last bunch of updates
> then, and retry?
>
> thanx
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> one of those applied.

>>
>>
>> Assuming you're referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307, it
>> lists five (5) possible CAUSES and a RESOLUTION for each: Which one
>> applies to your situation? Have you tried the appropriate RESOLUTION?
>>
>>> ...KB suggests manual install. I did that.

>>
>>
>> And did WinXP SP3 install successfully?
>>
>>> ought I back up a month or so and try again?

>>
>>
>> No, especially if you're referring to using System Restore.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
failed updates shannon microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 08-20-2008 21:51
UPDATES FAILED FAILED AGAIN Barb microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 04-19-2008 16:01
30 Updates Failed? Not Showing Up On Install Updates or Hidden Upd Glock(^*^)Headshot microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 03-08-2008 09:10
Failed updates Roy microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 02-05-2008 04:30
Many Failed updates manwhoshreds microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 12-30-2007 05:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120