How to hide an update

Andrew

How to hide an update
Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.

Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for Visual
Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always comes
back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to be any
way of doing it that I can find.

Does anyone know how to hide an update?

TIA

Elkheights

Re: How to hide an update
Go to Windows Update, View detail on update you want to hide. Click on
update. Click Hide
"Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
news7ABD6A0-34DE-40E7-AB68-267777D69FF8@microsoft.com...
Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.

Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for Visual
Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always comes
back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to be any
way of doing it that I can find.

Does anyone know how to hide an update?

TIA

Jakob Bohm

Re: How to hide an update
First check if the following explains your problem:

"Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update
or on Windows Update":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

See "Known issues" in this MSKB:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

--
Jakob Bøhm, M.Sc.Eng. * jb@danware.dk * direct tel:+45-45-90-25-33
Danware Data A/S * Bregnerodvej 127 * DK-3460 Birkerod * DENMARK

Andrew

Re: How to hide an update
Unfortunately that applies to Windows XP not Vista.

--
Jakob Bøhm, M.Sc.Eng. * jb@danware.dk * direct tel:+45-45-90-25-33
Danware Data A/S * Bregnerodvej 127 * DK-3460 Birkerod * DENMARK
http://www.netop.com * tel:+45-45-90-25-25 * fax:+45-45-90-25-26
Information in this mail is hasty, not binding and may not be right.
Information in this posting may not be the official position of Danware
Data A/S, only the personal opinions of the author.

Andrew

Re: How to hide an update
I'm not sure what version of Windows you are referring to, but it apparently
isn't the same as mine. XP used to have the option you are referring to.

There is no "Hide" anywhere under the Windows Update page.
None of the menu items in Windows Update have a "hide update" option
anywhere.
The "View available updates" link under the install button leads to a page
containing the update a check box giving the option to install it or not,
but no hide option.

Strangely, there is an option to "Restore hidden updates." Would be really
good if only you could hide them in the first place!

"Elkheights" <Leavemealone@mad.com> wrote in message
> Go to Windows Update, View detail on update you want to hide. Click on
> update. Click Hide
> "Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> news7ABD6A0-34DE-40E7-AB68-267777D69FF8@microsoft.com...
> Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.
>
> Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for Visual
> Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always comes
> back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to be any
> way of doing it that I can find.
>
> Does anyone know how to hide an update?
>
> TIA

Andrew

Re: How to hide an update
Nice try, however ...

The first article applies to XP, not Vista.

Tried out the suggestions in second article (adapted to VS 2005) but
unfortunately it didn't work.
Still getting the pesky update message.

--
Jakob Bøhm, M.Sc.Eng. * jb@danware.dk * direct tel:+45-45-90-25-33
Danware Data A/S * Bregnerodvej 127 * DK-3460 Birkerod * DENMARK
http://www.netop.com * tel:+45-45-90-25-25 * fax:+45-45-90-25-26
Information in this mail is hasty, not binding and may not be right.
Information in this posting may not be the official position of Danware
Data A/S, only the personal opinions of the author.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: How to hide an update
Andrew wrote:

> Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.
>
> Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for Visual
> Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always comes
> back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to be any
> way of doing it that I can find.
>
> Does anyone know how to hide an update?
>
> TIA

I try to see in the PA Bear [MS MVP]'s CrystalBall© sez... <eg>

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738
"Known issues with this security update"
"How to obtain help and support for this security update".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Gordon

Re: How to hide an update
"Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
news7ABD6A0-34DE-40E7-AB68-267777D69FF8@microsoft.com...
> Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.
>
> Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for Visual
> Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always comes
> back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to be any
> way of doing it that I can find.
>
> Does anyone know how to hide an update?
>
> TIA

Right-click on the update and choose "Hide"

Andrew

Re: How to hide an update
Ha ha ha - why didn't I think of that?

Thank you -so easy!

(Why the hell isn't it a check box or a menu option - very inconsistent
interface feature.)

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Andrew" <noway@forgetit.com> wrote in message
> news7ABD6A0-34DE-40E7-AB68-267777D69FF8@microsoft.com...
>> Running Vista Business Edition, Office 2007, MS Visual Studio 2005.
>>
>> Windows update repeatedly tells me there is an important update for
>> Visual Studio 2005 (SP1). I have installed it several times but it always
>> comes back. Help tells me to hide the update, but there does not seem to
>> be any way of doing it that I can find.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to hide an update?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Right-click on the update and choose "Hide"

Re: How to hide an update
Except that your expensive Vista machine AND YOU DATA remain susceptible to
a widely-exploited vulnerability! I'd strongly recommend un-hiding it,
then...

See the "Known issues with this security update" and "How to obtain help and
support for this security update" sections of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/