Vista service pack 1 problem

DaveH

Vista service pack 1 problem
I have installed service pack 1 twice on my Advent 8117 laptop with Vista
home premium but both times it has completely screwed up making the system
unstable and giving me the "blue screen of death" which has never happened
before, computer o.k. after restoring back to pre service pack 1.
--
Regards, Dave

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DaveH wrote:
> I have installed service pack 1 twice on my Advent 8117 laptop with Vista
> home premium but both times it has completely screwed up making the system
> unstable and giving me the "blue screen of death" which has never happened
> before, computer o.k. after restoring back to pre service pack 1.

DaveH

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
I am using windows update to install this (following the on screen
instructions).
--
Regards, Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> DaveH wrote:
> > I have installed service pack 1 twice on my Advent 8117 laptop with Vista
> > home premium but both times it has completely screwed up making the system
> > unstable and giving me the "blue screen of death" which has never happened
> > before, computer o.k. after restoring back to pre service pack 1.

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
That's not what I asked, Dave.

DaveH wrote:
> I am using windows update to install this (following the on screen
> instructions).
>
>> Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?
>>
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> (SP1):
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>>
>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>> available
>> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> DaveH wrote:
>>> I have installed service pack 1 twice on my Advent 8117 laptop with
>>> Vista
>>> home premium but both times it has completely screwed up making the
>>> system
>>> unstable and giving me the "blue screen of death" which has never
>>> happened
>>> before, computer o.k. after restoring back to pre service pack 1.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> That's not what I asked, Dave.

Are you sure?

> DaveH wrote:
>> I am using windows update to install this (following the on screen
>> instructions).
>>
>>> Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?

Harry.

>>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>>>
>>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>> (SP1):
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>>>

>>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>>> available
>>> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>>>
>>> • US:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>>

>>> • CA:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>>

>>> • UK:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>>

>>> • AU:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>>

>>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

momvon

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
ok guys, I have followed all the directions for and with the "things you
should know first!" and half way through the install I get a new error that
tells me my service pack cannot be installed.
So my question is this; Just how vital is this service pack? Is it something
my computer just cannot survive without? If it screws up your system doesn't
sound worth the agony.
I have managed to download it to a file, and saved it, so let me know ok?
--
momvon

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
> > That's not what I asked, Dave.

> Are you sure?
>
> > DaveH wrote:
> >> I am using windows update to install this (following the on screen
> >> instructions).

> Harry.

DaveH

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
momvon, you seem to have posed a different question altogether - perhaps you
should start a new thread, anyway, yes I am sure I am using Windows update (I
get an icon on my task bar saying a new update is vailable so I follow the
link straight to the update page and follow the instructions.
--
Regards, Dave

"momvon" wrote:

> ok guys, I have followed all the directions for and with the "things you
> should know first!" and half way through the install I get a new error that
> tells me my service pack cannot be installed.
> So my question is this; Just how vital is this service pack? Is it something
> my computer just cannot survive without? If it screws up your system doesn't
> sound worth the agony.
> I have managed to download it to a file, and saved it, so let me know ok?
> --
> momvon
>

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> >
> > > That's not what I asked, Dave.

> > Are you sure?

> > Harry.

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
Start your own thread, please, momvon. This one's confusin enough as it is.

momvon wrote:
> ok guys, I have followed all the directions for and with the "things you
> should know first!" and half way through the install I get a new error
> that
> tells me my service pack cannot be installed.
> So my question is this; Just how vital is this service pack? Is it
> something
> my computer just cannot survive without? If it screws up your system
> doesn't sound worth the agony.
> I have managed to download it to a file, and saved it, so let me know ok?

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
[Thanks for the kick in the a****, Harry. Must've been the first cuppa
fog.]

See the references in my previous reply, Dave.

If you need additional assistance here, post any errors you got/get when the
install fails. Errors can be found in the WindowsUpdate.log.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
--
~PA Bear

DaveH wrote:
> I am using windows update to install this (following the on screen
> instructions).
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update?
>>
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> (SP1):
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>>
>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>> available
>> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> DaveH wrote:
>>> I have installed service pack 1 twice on my Advent 8117 laptop with
>>> Vista
>>> home premium but both times it has completely screwed up making the
>>> system
>>> unstable and giving me the "blue screen of death" which has never
>>> happened
>>> before, computer o.k. after restoring back to pre service pack 1.

DaveH

Re: Vista service pack 1 problem
PA Bear - I have read the links you sent, the UK support says as vista pre
installed I need to go back to my supplier and that was over 1 year ago so
now out of warranty so no help, the learn how to install and things to know
did not help either as I appear to be doing exactly as they say. I have
looked through the windows update log file but a bit above me! I can see no
errors at the time it failed although there have been some Fatals since but I
think that is the KB938464 failing again. Had a though - to revert back to to
pre service pack 1 I had to do it in Safe Mode as it failed to restore in
Normal mode due I think with a problem with my antivirus, is it worth trying
to install SP1 in Safe Mode?
Many thanks for your help so far.
--
Regards, Dave