sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help

Gordon Ross

sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP, SP2 installed. Since my automatic SP3
download and install didn't work, stopping as it tried to update the registry
keys (INF_REGISTRY) and giving me an "Access Is Denied" message, I have tried
Methods 1 and 2 that Microsoft recommends
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377) and now, since those methods didn't
work and since I have verified that the registry update has failed as 949377
instructs, I need advice before proceeding to Method 3 (resetting the
registry and file permissions). The first thing I am supposed to do in
Method 3 is to download the SubInACL.exe file and install it. My question
is whether the SubInACL.exe file will install and work under Windows XP Home.
The System Requirements for downloading and installing the program list a
number of operating systems, but the only one listed for XP is XP
Professional
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). Can
Rick

Re: sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
Gordon Ross wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP, SP2 installed. Since my automatic SP3
> download and install didn't work, stopping as it tried to update the registry
> keys (INF_REGISTRY) and giving me an "Access Is Denied" message, I have tried
> Methods 1 and 2 that Microsoft recommends
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377) and now, since those methods didn't
> work and since I have verified that the registry update has failed as 949377
> instructs, I need advice before proceeding to Method 3 (resetting the
> registry and file permissions). The first thing I am supposed to do in
> Method 3 is to download the SubInACL.exe file and install it. My question
> is whether the SubInACL.exe file will install and work under Windows XP Home.
> The System Requirements for downloading and installing the program list a
> number of operating systems, but the only one listed for XP is XP
> Professional
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). Can

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/en-us
Check this link above. I have two Dell laptops and experienced the same
thing you are encountering. The above link solved the problem.
--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Re: sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

Yes, you may use the SubInACL tool in WinXP Home Edition, too.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gordon Ross wrote:
> I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP, SP2 installed. Since my automatic
> SP3
> download and install didn't work, stopping as it tried to update the
> registry
> keys (INF_REGISTRY) and giving me an "Access Is Denied" message, I have
> tried
> Methods 1 and 2 that Microsoft recommends
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377) and now, since those methods
> didn't
> work and since I have verified that the registry update has failed as
> 949377
> instructs, I need advice before proceeding to Method 3 (resetting the
> registry and file permissions). The first thing I am supposed to do in
> Method 3 is to download the SubInACL.exe file and install it. My
> question
> is whether the SubInACL.exe file will install and work under Windows XP
> Home.
> The System Requirements for downloading and installing the program list a
> number of operating systems, but the only one listed for XP is XP
> Professional
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en).
> Can

Matt

Re: sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
I've run into this same problem on my HP desktop. I've taken the necessary
steps to diasble my Symantec Realtime Protection, as well as Spybot Resident.
I've also ended the TeaTimer process. I've done all 3 tasks including
running the registry fixer and it still gives me the access denied error.

The one thing I've noticed is that everytime the error pops up, my Symantec
Realtime Protection seems to have been enabled, despite me disabling it
before trying to download. I've taken off the option to auto-enable after x
amount of minutes once disabled, so I'm hoping that will be it.

This is extremely frustrating as I've tried to do this for several days now.
Are there any other options?

Matt wrote:
> I've run into this same problem on my HP desktop. I've taken the necessary
> steps to diasble my Symantec Realtime Protection, as well as Spybot Resident.
> I've also ended the TeaTimer process. I've done all 3 tasks including
> running the registry fixer and it still gives me the access denied error.
>
> The one thing I've noticed is that everytime the error pops up, my Symantec
> Realtime Protection seems to have been enabled, despite me disabling it
> before trying to download. I've taken off the option to auto-enable after x
> amount of minutes once disabled, so I'm hoping that will be it.
>
> This is extremely frustrating as I've tried to do this for several days now.
> Are there any other options?
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Gordon Ross wrote:
>>> I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP, SP2 installed. Since my automatic SP3
>>> download and install didn't work, stopping as it tried to update the registry
>>> keys (INF_REGISTRY) and giving me an "Access Is Denied" message, I have tried
>>> Methods 1 and 2 that Microsoft recommends
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377) and now, since those methods didn't
>>> work and since I have verified that the registry update has failed as 949377
>>> instructs, I need advice before proceeding to Method 3 (resetting the
>>> registry and file permissions). The first thing I am supposed to do in
>>> Method 3 is to download the SubInACL.exe file and install it. My question
>>> is whether the SubInACL.exe file will install and work under Windows XP Home.
>>> The System Requirements for downloading and installing the program list a
>>> number of operating systems, but the only one listed for XP is XP
>>> Professional
>>> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). Can

>> Check this link above. I have two Dell laptops and experienced the same
>> thing you are encountering. The above link solved the problem.
>> --
>>
>> Rick
>> Fargo, ND
>> N 46°53'251"
>> W 096°48'279"
>>
>> Remember the USS Liberty
>> http://www.ussliberty.org/

I believe that most computers built by Dell have this problem but, it is
solved very easily.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Matt

Re: sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
I would just like to say that I was able to fix the issue using Option
#3..again. I do not have a workable notepad on my PC so I had to use WordPad
to save the program. When I saved it the second time, I saved it as a "Text
only" format and not the "RTF" format as I did the first time.

Whether or not that is important, when I ran the program the second time, it
worked and then I was able to download SP3 without any issues. Just thought
it might help for some of us that couldn't figure out why Option #3 wasn't
working to begin with.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
> “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> See
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/
>
> Yes, you may use the SubInACL tool in WinXP Home Edition, too.
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Gordon Ross wrote:
> > I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP, SP2 installed. Since my automatic
> > SP3
> > download and install didn't work, stopping as it tried to update the
> > registry
> > keys (INF_REGISTRY) and giving me an "Access Is Denied" message, I have
> > tried
> > Methods 1 and 2 that Microsoft recommends
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377) and now, since those methods
> > didn't
> > work and since I have verified that the registry update has failed as
> > 949377
> > instructs, I need advice before proceeding to Method 3 (resetting the
> > registry and file permissions). The first thing I am supposed to do in
> > Method 3 is to download the SubInACL.exe file and install it. My
> > question
> > is whether the SubInACL.exe file will install and work under Windows XP
> > Home.
> > The System Requirements for downloading and installing the program list a
> > number of operating systems, but the only one listed for XP is XP
> > Professional
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en).
> > Can

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Matt wrote:

> The one thing I've noticed is that everytime the error pops up, my Symantec
> Realtime Protection seems to have been enabled, despite me disabling it
> before trying to download.

The most reliable option is to uninstall Symantec altogether - but make sure
you've got your install key for putting it back later. (On the other hand,
personally I'd recommend moving to a more reputable piece of software - Avast!
Home Edition is free of charge for personal, non-commercial use and I've been
very happy with it. There are also several other products, both free and
charged, which don't seem to cause the same sort of problems that Symantec
sometimes does.)

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
>> The one thing I've noticed is that everytime the error pops up, my
>> Symantec
>> Realtime Protection seems to have been enabled, despite me disabling it
>> before trying to download.

> The most reliable option is to uninstall Symantec altogether - but make
> sure
> you've got your install key for putting it back later...

If it's a Norton application, know that such applications do not uninstall
cleanly. After uninstalling the application (and LiveUpdate and any Norton
Add-ons) via Add/Remove Programs, it is necessary to download/run the Norton
Removal Tool to get rid of the "leftovers" and then Reboot.

Norton Removal Tool

[Related discussion: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207#story1]
--
~PA Bear

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Matt wrote:

> I would just like to say that I was able to fix the issue using Option
> #3..again. I do not have a workable notepad on my PC so I had to use WordPad
> to save the program. When I saved it the second time, I saved it as a "Text
> only" format and not the "RTF" format as I did the first time.

It certainly wouldn't work using RTF.

Notepad is built into Windows, if it isn't working you have something else wrong.

Harry.
Gordon Ross

Re: sp3 Access Is Denied -- Need Help
Thank you. I have now tried Method 3, but it didn't work. So I have
contacted the
Windows XP SP3 installation support address that you gave me and am now
waiting for help.