Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation

thecreator

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
Hi All,

I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 3.

However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine, including
Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.

Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Thanks in advance!

--
thecreator

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before you
go uninstalling/removing any of them!

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).

If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

thecreator wrote:
> I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
> XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 3.
>
> However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
> Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
> fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine, including
> Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
> can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows
> XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
>
> Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
> and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
>
> Thanks in advance!

BillyA

On Sep 30, 12:08*pm, "thecreator" <thecrea...@home.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> * * I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 3.
>
> * * However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
> Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
> fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine, including
> Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
> can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
>
> * * Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
> and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
>
> * * Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> thecreator

Yes, I had the exact same problem and used the windows installer
cleanup utility, ran it, and then all the updates you meentioned
installed without any problem. It is also called a NET Framework
cleanup utility.
Cobradeux

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
Thank you very PA Bear to take the time to share your knowledge with us.
After I read your post, I managed to install .net framework 3.5 in a couple
of hours after days of trying.

cobradeux.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before you
> go uninstalling/removing any of them!
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>
> If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> thecreator wrote:
> > I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
> > XP
> > Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows XP
> > Home Edition Service Pack 3.
> >
> > However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
> > Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
> > fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine, including
> > Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
> > can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows
> > XP
> > Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
> >
> > Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
> > and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
You're most welcome and thanks for your feedback!

Cobradeux wrote:
> Thank you very PA Bear to take the time to share your knowledge with us.
> After I read your post, I managed to install .net framework 3.5 in a
> couple
> of hours after days of trying.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before
>> you
>> go uninstalling/removing any of them!
>>
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>> whether service packs have been applied
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>>
>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>>
>> If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> thecreator wrote:
>>> I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 3.
>>>
>>> However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
>>> Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
>>> fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine,
>>> including
>>> Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
>>> can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
>>>
>>> Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
>>> and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

thecreator

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
Hi Robear Dyer,

Thanks, but Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does not install under Windows
XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, whether you install Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3, via an Upgrade Slip-stream CD Disk or via install Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 2 and upgrade immediately to Windows XP Home
Edition Service Pack 3 via the IT Download.

I dual-boot two copies of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 on a
single computer for beta-testing.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does install under Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 2 without any problems whatsoever.

However, I did an experiment. I uninstalled all .NET Framework programs.
I rebooted and reinstalled, even using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility. I
could not get .NET Framework to install under Service Pack 3. So it isn't as
if I never tried to install it.

If you dual-boot, try it, yourself and see what I mean. When I was
installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, I used no Windows Registry
Cleaners, not to place a cloud on my findings. I have used TuneUp Utilities
2007, when I finished, however.

--
thecreator

> 1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before
> you go uninstalling/removing any of them!
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>
> If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> thecreator wrote:
>> I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
>> XP
>> Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows XP
>> Home Edition Service Pack 3.
>>
>> However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
>> Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
>> fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine, including
>> Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
>> can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows
>> XP
>> Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
>>
>> Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
>> and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
Did you try Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100?

What is "the Microsoft Cleanup Utility" to which you refer?

Have you opened a free WinXP SP3 support incident?

Your specific problem could be due to the way you've set up the dual-boot
partitions (i.e., if the WinXP SP2 partition can "see" the WinXP SP3
partition).
--
~PA Bear

thecreator wrote:
> Thanks, but Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does not install under Windows
> XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, whether you install Windows XP Home
> Edition
> Service Pack 3, via an Upgrade Slip-stream CD Disk or via install Windows
> XP
> Home Edition Service Pack 2 and upgrade immediately to Windows XP Home
> Edition Service Pack 3 via the IT Download.
>
> I dual-boot two copies of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 on a
> single computer for beta-testing.
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does install under Windows XP Home Edition
> Service Pack 2 without any problems whatsoever.
>
> However, I did an experiment. I uninstalled all .NET Framework
> programs.
> I rebooted and reinstalled, even using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility. I
> could not get .NET Framework to install under Service Pack 3. So it isn't
> as
> if I never tried to install it.
>
> If you dual-boot, try it, yourself and see what I mean. When I was
> installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, I used no Windows Registry
> Cleaners, not to place a cloud on my findings. I have used TuneUp
> Utilities
> 2007, when I finished, however.

>> 1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before
>> you go uninstalling/removing any of them!
>>
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>> whether service packs have been applied
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>>
>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>>
>> If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> thecreator wrote:
>>> I have no problems installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 2 then upgrading the installation to Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 3.
>>>
>>> However I created a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Upgrade
>>> Slip-Stream CD and installed in on my Hard Drive and activated it, just
>>> fine. I installed all the Windows Updates / Hotfixes just fine,
>>> including
>>> Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, and 2.0 and their Service Packs. However I
>>> can't seem to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 directly into Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home Edition Service Pack 3. It comes up with Error Code: 0x643.
>>>
>>> Any ideas, before I go back to Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
>>> and upgrade all Hotfixes before applying Windows XP Service Pack 3?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

thecreator

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
Hi PA Bear,

msicuu2 That is the Microsoft Cleanup Utility that I used.

Yes I did try Method 2.

No I did not open a free WinXP SP3 support incident, because I could go
back to Service Pack 2 by a reformat and reinstall, which was what I did.

At the time, I was attempting to install Net Framework 3.0 in Windows XP
SP 3, both partitions were already running Windows XP Home Edition Service
Pack 3.

--
thecreator

> Did you try Method 2 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100?
>
> What is "the Microsoft Cleanup Utility" to which you refer?
>
> Have you opened a free WinXP SP3 support incident?
>
> Your specific problem could be due to the way you've set up the dual-boot
> partitions (i.e., if the WinXP SP2 partition can "see" the WinXP SP3
> partition).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> thecreator wrote:
>> Thanks, but Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does not install under
>> Windows
>> XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, whether you install Windows XP Home
>> Edition
>> Service Pack 3, via an Upgrade Slip-stream CD Disk or via install Windows
>> XP
>> Home Edition Service Pack 2 and upgrade immediately to Windows XP Home
>> Edition Service Pack 3 via the IT Download.
>>
>> I dual-boot two copies of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 on a
>> single computer for beta-testing.
>>
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 does install under Windows XP Home
>> Edition
>> Service Pack 2 without any problems whatsoever.
>>
>> However, I did an experiment. I uninstalled all .NET Framework
>> programs.
>> I rebooted and reinstalled, even using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility. I
>> could not get .NET Framework to install under Service Pack 3. So it isn't
>> as
>> if I never tried to install it.
>>
>> If you dual-boot, try it, yourself and see what I mean. When I was
>> installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, I used no Windows Registry
>> Cleaners, not to place a cloud on my findings. I have used TuneUp
>> Utilities
>> 2007, when I finished, however.

>>> 1. Write down what .NET Framework versions are already installed before
>>> you go uninstalling/removing any of them!
>>>
>>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>>> whether service packs have been applied
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>>>
>>> 2. Now see Resolutions Methods 1 or 2 in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).
>>>
>>> If no joy, see this related post by my colleague MowGreen:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...76de7769d04493
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Installation
> msicuu2 That is the Microsoft Cleanup Utility that I used.

msicuu2 is called the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

> ...Yes I did try Method 2

Did you download and use the .NET Framework cleanup tool (cleanup_tool.exe)
in KB 923100 Method 2 or did you use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
here, too? (They are not the same thing.)

> ...No I did not open a free WinXP SP3 support incident
> ...At the time, I was attempting to install Net Framework 3.0 in Windows
> XP
> SP 3, both partitions were already running Windows XP Home Edition Service
> Pack 3.

Yes, I understand, but that's why I suggested opening a free support
incident (instead of uninstalling SP3).

Is .NET Framework 3.0 (SP1?) installed now?

>>> ...I used no Windows Registry
>>> Cleaners, not to place a cloud on my findings. I have used TuneUp
>>> Utilities
>>> 2007, when I finished, however.

TuneUp Utilities 2007 *is* a Registry cleaner!
--
~PA Bear

See below. my answers are after the *****.

--