Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook

FraG

Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
In add or remove programs, cannot remove this program. Change/remove
selection gets box asking for install, then Firewall pops-up to Install
Shield, - catch 22; cannot find file. However, when accessing program
through desktop, start menu, all programs, the short-cut properties box,
"find target", the application main folder is there, opens up and contains
all sub-folders. Can I go to registry and remove?

I believe this open port is hi-jacked. My object is to rid my computer of
this program and secure this port from watchers and high-jackers.

I run Windows XP SP3, with PC Tools Spyware w/VirusScnner and Registry Mech.
Firewall is a PC Tools product, "Firewall Plus". All have latest upgrades.

Thanks for any help.
--
FraG
TaurArian

RE: Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
Do you realise you are posting to the Windows Update Newgroup which deals
with windows/microsoft office updates?

Perhaps you should find a more appropriate newsgroup for your problem or in
the alternative, advise which update caused the problem?
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"FraG" wrote:

> In add or remove programs, cannot remove this program. Change/remove
> selection gets box asking for install, then Firewall pops-up to Install
> Shield, - catch 22; cannot find file. However, when accessing program
> through desktop, start menu, all programs, the short-cut properties box,
> "find target", the application main folder is there, opens up and contains
> all sub-folders. Can I go to registry and remove?
>
> I believe this open port is hi-jacked. My object is to rid my computer of
> this program and secure this port from watchers and high-jackers.
>
> I run Windows XP SP3, with PC Tools Spyware w/VirusScnner and Registry Mech.
> Firewall is a PC Tools product, "Firewall Plus". All have latest upgrades.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> FraG

FraG

RE: Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
You failed to surmise that I might have been referred to this section by my
initial search, which found the topic a few down on this very list by
E-nough, 9-1-2006, describing a like happenstance sharing more than one
common factor, I guess.

Perhaps the computer thinks better than we do at times, and is inferring
that it's about time a writer put an update in place that eleminates any
future possibility for the average administrator or lone user not being able
to eleminate extraneous and outdated old programs from a PC that are causing
problems.

No vulnerable outside application should be able to overrule the controls of
"Add or remove programs" in a Windows operating system. If such language
exists, the operating system should sense that and rewrite it automatically
upon installation to prevent intractibility. Even an intermediate,
self-taught user in his senior years should have the ability to eleminate a
15 year old typing instruction program from his Personal Computer, shouldn't
he?

A personal note:
Your remarks sounded very superior and sarcastic. Could you not have simply
used the same number of words to refer me to the right section for the
answer? Or, if you just don't know the answer, perhaps you could have just
kept your words to yourself and let someone who does help me without the
"down-your-nose" condescension.
--
FraG

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Do you realise you are posting to the Windows Update Newgroup which deals
> with windows/microsoft office updates?
>
> Perhaps you should find a more appropriate newsgroup for your problem or in
> the alternative, advise which update caused the problem?
> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "FraG" wrote:
>
> > In add or remove programs, cannot remove this program. Change/remove
> > selection gets box asking for install, then Firewall pops-up to Install
> > Shield, - catch 22; cannot find file. However, when accessing program
> > through desktop, start menu, all programs, the short-cut properties box,
> > "find target", the application main folder is there, opens up and contains
> > all sub-folders. Can I go to registry and remove?
> >
> > I believe this open port is hi-jacked. My object is to rid my computer of
> > this program and secure this port from watchers and high-jackers.
> >
> > I run Windows XP SP3, with PC Tools Spyware w/VirusScnner and Registry Mech.
> > Firewall is a PC Tools product, "Firewall Plus". All have latest upgrades.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > --
> > FraG

TaurArian

Re: Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
Did you think about reinstalling the offending program and then uninstalling
it to see if that rectified the problem?

However, this still does not relate to Windows Updates of Microsoft Updates.

You have taken offence, so be it. Ignore me and I'll ignore you.

Hope you find the solution to your problem - but not likely here.

Good night.
--

======================================

"FraG" <FraG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>

>> "FraG" wrote:
>>
>> > In add or remove programs, cannot remove this program. Change/remove
>> > selection gets box asking for install, then Firewall pops-up to Install
>> > Shield, - catch 22; cannot find file. However, when accessing program
>> > through desktop, start menu, all programs, the short-cut properties
>> > box,
>> > "find target", the application main folder is there, opens up and
>> > contains
>> > all sub-folders. Can I go to registry and remove?
>> >
>> > I believe this open port is hi-jacked. My object is to rid my computer
>> > of
>> > this program and secure this port from watchers and high-jackers.
>> >
>> > I run Windows XP SP3, with PC Tools Spyware w/VirusScnner and Registry
>> > Mech.
>> > Firewall is a PC Tools product, "Firewall Plus". All have latest

Gordon

Re: Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
"FraG" <FraG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> No vulnerable outside application should be able to overrule the controls
> of
> "Add or remove programs" in a Windows operating system. If such language
> exists, the operating system should sense that and rewrite it
> automatically
> upon installation to prevent intractibility. Even an intermediate,
> self-taught user in his senior years should have the ability to eleminate
> 15 year old typing instruction program from his Personal Computer,
> shouldn't
> he?

If you run as a non-admin user with a password-protected Administrator
account, then malware in general will not install....
unfortunately not only do many people run as Admin for "convenience" or out
of ignorance, but many do not assign a password to the Administrator account
either.
Fortunately in Vista the Administrator account is disabled by default, but
AFAIK it is STILL possible to run as a non password-protected Admin....

Re: Cannot remove program, Broderbund Mavis Beacon, keystroke hook
This has nothing to do with Windows Update functionality. Forwarded to
WinXP General via crosspost.

> I run Windows XP SP3...and Registry [Mechanic]

You'll probably have to reinstall the application in order to uninstall it,
since Registry Mechanic probably removed the necessary uninstall files for
the current install.

Still think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 (let alone this thread) and draw your
own conclusions.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/