SP3 not showing up in Windows Update

outofdepth

SP3 not showing up in Windows Update
Hello,

When I go to Windows Update to see what updates are available, XP SP3 is not
listed in the available updates for me (although other minor updates are). I
already have SP2 installed, so I assume I should be able to get the update?
And to get one question out of the way - no, SP3 isn't already installed,
just in case you thought I'd installed it without realising

Thanks guys.
TaurArian

RE: SP3 not showing up in Windows Update
You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when you
use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"outofdepth" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I go to Windows Update to see what updates are available, XP SP3 is not
> listed in the available updates for me (although other minor updates are). I
> already have SP2 installed, so I assume I should be able to get the update?
> And to get one question out of the way - no, SP3 isn't already installed,
> just in case you thought I'd installed it without realising
>
> Thanks guys.

Ralf Baumhoefer

"outofdepth" <outofdepth@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> When I go to Windows Update to see what updates are available, XP SP3 is
> not
> listed in the available updates for me (although other minor updates are).
> already have SP2 installed, so I assume I should be able to get the
> update?
> And to get one question out of the way - no, SP3 isn't already installed,
> just in case you thought I'd installed it without realising
>
> Thanks guys.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307/en-us

Download it manualy:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx

or

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en>

Re: SP3 not showing up in Windows Update
I would NOT install WinXP SP3 manually unless/until it's offered by Windows
Update or unless MS Tech Support tells you to do so!

Ralf Baumhoefer wrote:
> "outofdepth" <outofdepth@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I go to Windows Update to see what updates are available, XP SP3 is
>> not
>> listed in the available updates for me (although other minor updates
>> are).
>> already have SP2 installed, so I assume I should be able to get the
>> update?
>> And to get one question out of the way - no, SP3 isn't already installed,
>> just in case you thought I'd installed it without realising
>>
>> Thanks guys.

> Download it manualy:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx
>
> or
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en>

outofdepth

Re: SP3 not showing up in Windows Update
Thanks for the responses guys - but there are two mutually exclusive pieces
of advice given; one offering a direct link to SP3, and another warning me
not to do it unless its through Windows Update... Any clarity would be
appreciated?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I would NOT install WinXP SP3 manually unless/until it's offered by Windows
> Update or unless MS Tech Support tells you to do so!
>
> Ralf Baumhoefer wrote:
> > "outofdepth" <outofdepth@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> When I go to Windows Update to see what updates are available, XP SP3 is
> >> not
> >> listed in the available updates for me (although other minor updates
> >> are).
> >> already have SP2 installed, so I assume I should be able to get the
> >> update?
> >> And to get one question out of the way - no, SP3 isn't already installed,
> >> just in case you thought I'd installed it without realising
> >>
> >> Thanks guys.

> > Download it manualy:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx
> >
> > or
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en>

TaurArian

Re: SP3 not showing up in Windows Update
If you are not offered SP3 through WU, there may be a specific reasons
therefore doing an installation from the full file would not rectify the
problem.

You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when you
use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307

By using WU to install SP3, means that you computer *should* be ready for
SP3. There's nothing stopping you from using the full file once you know
that your computer is ready for SP3.

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.