Error 641 updating KB948109 (Security Up. SP2 SQLServer 2005)

José L. Álvarez

Error 641 updating KB948109 (Security Up. SP2 SQLServer 2005)
Hi. When I try installing a new updates "Security Update for SQL Server 2005
Service Pack 2" (KB948109), I get error (code 641).
I Have windows vista home premium.
I had SQL Server 2005 on my computer but I installed SQL Server 2008 Express
and then I have uninstalled SQL server 2008 and I have installed 2005, again.
Forthemore, recently, I have installed Visual C# 2008 Express and Visual Web
Developer 2008 Express edition.
How do I solve this problem?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error 641 updating KB948109 (Security Up. SP2 SQLServer 2005)
"Jos L. lvarez" <Jos L. lvarez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. When I try installing a new updates "Security Update for SQL Server 2005
> Service Pack 2" (KB948109), I get error (code 641).

Assuming that is a hex value...

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x641
1601
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur
if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer
is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

</cmd_output>

> I Have windows vista home premium.
> I had SQL Server 2005 on my computer but I installed SQL Server 2008 Express
> and then I have uninstalled SQL server 2008 and I have installed 2005, again.
> Forthemore, recently, I have installed Visual C# 2008 Express and Visual Web
> Developer 2008 Express edition.
> How do I solve this problem?

BTW if you are trying to do this install manually and getting the same symptom
it will be independent of the update delivery, so you may actually find
better help in a newsgroup which specializes in the product being updated.
I often cross-post these requests to SQL Setup but since you have mentioned
more products than just SQL I have decided not to that this time.
E.g. if the SQL isn't a stand-alone product but instead a component of
a larger install, perhaps the product that installs it would be more appropriate.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

José L. Álvarez

Re: Error 641 updating KB948109 (Security Up. SP2 SQLServer 2005)
It is possible that Windows Installer is not correctly installed, I changed
"Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) - Español" by "Windows Installer
4.5 Redistributable - Español".
How do I get back to version 3.1?
If windows Installer is wrong, how can I solve my problem?
Thanks for helping me.

> It is possible that Windows Installer is not correctly installed, I changed
> "Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) - Espaol" by "Windows Installer
> 4.5 Redistributable - Espaol".

> How do I get back to version 3.1?
> If windows Installer is wrong, how can I solve my problem?

Let's try some diagnosis first.

There may be some clues about how it should work in here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940291
(Live Search for
"windows installer" vista site:support.microsoft.com
)

For example, it prompts the question: What is "Windows Installer logging"
and is it enabled and if not, how do you enable it? ; )

Aha. Down below there are links which might answer that...

Mostly Developer info. Very little info to aid support personnel specifically.

Nevertheless it does give the ideas that the failing update type may be .msi
and if so there will be logs created by the install phase which could perhaps
be supplemented by requesting more detail on the command line for a manual
install. I think that I would start by searching the drive for all files which the
update created or changed. E.g. search for files which changed on that day
and then sort them by Date Modified. That sorts them by timestamp; so then
just scroll to the minute that the update was run.

An alternative to that approach is to use ProcMon to trace the file accesses
made during an install and get your clues that way. An advantage of that
approach is that it supplements the log by showing registry and file accesses
which may have played a part in the production of a particular log message.

> Thanks for helping me.

Good luck

Robert
---