security update kb936181 wants to update despite all

dalibella

security update kb936181 wants to update despite all
Hi,
prefacing that I do know others have experienced the same problem (I have
read many posts regarding this), however I have done more or less everything
Microsoft suggested . Removed it and reinstalled it, including removing
msxml4.dll and reinstalling it with the kb936181. I even checked that the new
dll file was the version 4.20.9848.0 as they suggested. Nothing has worked so
far. Further, when I look in the downloaded updates this one does not show
at all. I am at my wits ends here. Often the suggestions offered are quite
complicated (such as going into DOS and making modifications to this
msxml4.dll). Further one cannot call a real person at Microsoft unless you
fork out $$$ ... totally ridiculous since the problem was not caused by the
consumer to begin with.
I hope someone can offer some help. thanks
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: security update kb936181 wants to update despite all
dalibella wrote:

> prefacing that I do know others have experienced the same problem (I have
> read many posts regarding this), however I have done more or less everything
> Microsoft suggested . Removed it and reinstalled it, including removing
> msxml4.dll and reinstalling it with the kb936181. I even checked that the new
> dll file was the version 4.20.9848.0 as they suggested. Nothing has worked so
> far. Further, when I look in the downloaded updates this one does not show
> at all. I am at my wits ends here. Often the suggestions offered are quite
> complicated (such as going into DOS and making modifications to this
> msxml4.dll). Further one cannot call a real person at Microsoft unless you
> fork out $$$ ... totally ridiculous since the problem was not caused by the
> consumer to begin with.

Firstly, this is a security update so qualifies for free support from Microsoft.

Are you talking about Automatic Updates or Windows Update?

What do you mean exactly by "when I look in the downloaded updates"?

Harry.
harleymoma1961

Re: security update kb936181 wants to update despite all

--
savor the flavor

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> dalibella wrote:
>
> > prefacing that I do know others have experienced the same problem (I have
> > read many posts regarding this), however I have done more or less everything
> > Microsoft suggested . Removed it and reinstalled it, including removing
> > msxml4.dll and reinstalling it with the kb936181. I even checked that the new
> > dll file was the version 4.20.9848.0 as they suggested. Nothing has worked so
> > far. Further, when I look in the downloaded updates this one does not show
> > at all. I am at my wits ends here. Often the suggestions offered are quite
> > complicated (such as going into DOS and making modifications to this
> > msxml4.dll). Further one cannot call a real person at Microsoft unless you
> > fork out $$$ ... totally ridiculous since the problem was not caused by the
> > consumer to begin with.

> Firstly, this is a security update so qualifies for free support from Microsoft.
>
> Are you talking about Automatic Updates or Windows Update?
>
> What do you mean exactly by "when I look in the downloaded updates"?
>
> Harry.

dalibella

Re: security update kb936181 wants to update despite all
Hi,
well I looked for the "free" phone number and I did not find one (unless it
is the same one they charge you for... but there they ask you for your credit
card right away) do you have it?
I am talking about the updates that come on automatically. I have seen this
one for many days. It says downloaded successfully and then it does it again
and again.
So I went to the control panels in the add/delete programs (or whatever it
is called in VIsta) and looked up downloaded microsoft updates. There are a
whole bunch of them, but I did not find this one at all. So, I ask, where
did it go?
I did all that microsoft suggested (and some was a bit over my head).. but
to no avail. Also, somewhere microsoft said that if vista had been pre
installed, I should talk to the manufacturer. Done that, Dell people told me
to go ck microsoft knowledge articles and get the info there....nice eh? they
are playing ping pong and I am in the middle of it. In any case thanks for
trying to help.
dalila

dalibella wrote:

> I am talking about the updates that come on automatically. I have seen this
> one for many days. It says downloaded successfully and then it does it again
> and again.

OK. Try downloading the update from here:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=021E12F5-CB46-43DF-A2B8-185639BA2807&displaylang=en>

Save it to your hard disk, reboot the computer in Safe Mode, then run the update
and see what happens.

Harry.
dalibella

Re: security update kb936181 wants to update despite all
Hi,
I tried to do what you said, but in safe mode it will not open and install
the file. so now what?

dalibella wrote:

> I tried to do what you said, but in safe mode it will not open and install
> the file. so now what?

See KB941729. Do steps 1, 2 and 3 in Safe Mode, then reboot and run the
installer you've already downloaded in normal mode.

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/>