SP3 for XP problem on start up

Matt2796@msn.com

SP3 for XP problem on start up
After installing SP3 and restarting the computer the normal Windows screen
comes on and the horizontal slidimg bar starts to move. After 3 complete
slides the screen goes blank black never to come on again. The only way to
get into the computer is to restart Windows in safe mode. that is when I can
restore back to a point before SP3. I there a rrason for this, do I really
need SP3?
--
Matt
Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 for XP problem on start up
Matt2796@msn.com wrote:
> After installing SP3 and restarting the computer the normal Windows
> screen comes on and the horizontal slidimg bar starts to move.
> After 3 complete slides the screen goes blank black never to come
> on again. The only way to get into the computer is to restart
> Windows in safe mode. that is when I can restore back to a point
> before SP3. I there a rrason for this, do I really need SP3?

You don't really need a computer - but that is only to point out your second
question is one only you can answer.

It is recommended you get SP3 installed. Sounds like one of your hardware
drivers may not agree with SP3 - so you might want to revert back to a point
before SP3 (uninstall SP3 in Safe Mode) and then boot into normal mode and
update all your hardware drivers from each hardware manufacturer (not
Microsoft - it is doubtful they made much of any of your hardware.)

Then try your Windows XP SP3 install again.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Matt2796@msn.com

Re: SP3 for XP problem on start up
Thank you Shenan, I will try this and get back to you. I had thought it
might be a monitor driver or video card incopatable driver.
--
Matt

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Matt2796@msn.com wrote:
> > After installing SP3 and restarting the computer the normal Windows
> > screen comes on and the horizontal slidimg bar starts to move.
> > After 3 complete slides the screen goes blank black never to come
> > on again. The only way to get into the computer is to restart
> > Windows in safe mode. that is when I can restore back to a point
> > before SP3. I there a rrason for this, do I really need SP3?

> You don't really need a computer - but that is only to point out your second
> question is one only you can answer.
>
> It is recommended you get SP3 installed. Sounds like one of your hardware
> drivers may not agree with SP3 - so you might want to revert back to a point
> before SP3 (uninstall SP3 in Safe Mode) and then boot into normal mode and
> update all your hardware drivers from each hardware manufacturer (not
> Microsoft - it is doubtful they made much of any of your hardware.)
>
> Then try your Windows XP SP3 install again.
>
> A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Matt2796@msn.com

Re: SP3 for XP problem on start up
I installed a new driver for NVIDIA, but after installing SP3 again I had the
same results.
--
Matt

Matt2796 wrote:
> I installed a new driver for NVIDIA, but after installing SP3 again
> I had the same results.

Updated your BIOS?

Installed the latest chipset driver for your motherboard?

Installed the latest driver for your network card?

Installed the latest driver for your sound card?

Turned off (during the install) any AntiVirus software?

What method of installation are you using? CD, Executable File, Automatic
updates or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ?

I suggest you download the full executable and save it to your desktop.
Update *all* hardware drivers. Disconnect (physically) your computer from
any network/Internet. Disable your Antivirus software. Run the executable
to install SP3. Reboot.

Otherwise - please read through the links I gave on what to do to prepare to
install SP3. If my suggestion does not do it for you and the suggestions on
the web links don't - use the first web link to open a free support request
(only good through April 2009 - use it if you need it ASAP!)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: SP3 for XP problem on start up
To remove an update, uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs (after rebooting
into Safe Mode, if necessary). You should NEVER use System Restore to
"undo" the changes an update made!

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Matt2796@msn.com wrote:
> After installing SP3 and restarting the computer the normal Windows screen
> comes on and the horizontal slidimg bar starts to move. After 3 complete
> slides the screen goes blank black never to come on again. The only way
> get into the computer is to restart Windows in safe mode. that is when I
> can restore back to a point before SP3. I there a rrason for this, do I
> really need SP3?

Tom D

Black screen on reboot after installing SP3
microsoft tech support walked me thru these steps to fix the black screen after installing SP3

Restart your pc in safemode by pressing f8 on powerup.
While in safemode uninstall your video card(display adapter)in the device manager..
Restart your pc normally
Reinstall the display adapter with the disk or driver files download from manufacturers website then restart normaly
The black screen should be gone now..
Hope this works for you as it did for me.

my display adapater is the nvidia Geforce 8800GTX