sp 3

duffydawson

sp 3
sp 3 failed to install completly amd messed up my computer uninstalling Ken
using xp home. what can i do to get this installed?
JS

Re: sp 3
Was there an error message when it failed to install.
If so please post, if not try to provide as much
information on how it failed.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"duffydawson" <duffydawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sp 3 failed to install completly amd messed up my computer uninstalling
> Ken
> using xp home. what can i do to get this installed?

duffydawson

Re: sp 3
the error message was failed to install and the last four digits were 4600A I
would have to go back though the whole install to pickup any more info thank
you duffydawson

"JS" wrote:

> Was there an error message when it failed to install.
> If so please post, if not try to provide as much
> information on how it failed.
>
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "duffydawson" <duffydawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sp 3 failed to install completly amd messed up my computer uninstalling
> > Ken
> > using xp home. what can i do to get this installed?

JS

Re: sp 3
Sorry, could not find any match using 4600A
So I have posted all rather long list of things
you can look at, maybe something may catch yor eye.

If I where to install SP3 I would choose to download the
file and not use Automatic Updates.

Your PC must be at least SP1 or SP2 level as SP3 will not
install on XP Gold.

I would also create an "Image Backup" of my drive prior
to installing SP3 just in case you do have problems.
Don't have any Image Backup software:
Try "True Image" (has a 15 day trial version available)
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

If you use Zone Alarm Firewall (Free or Paid) then update to
version 7.0.483.
Warning do not install ZA version 8.0.xxx as it currently has
problems.

Install SP3 in 'Clean Boot' mode:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Be sure to download and read the file titled 'Overview of Windows XP Service
Pack 3'
Note: "You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1
or SP2."

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Discusses the hard disk space requirements for installing
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
"For a PC on which Windows XP is already installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/en-us

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Release notes for the Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929/en-us

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

Recommends steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Also includes troubleshooting information.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

Internet Explorer: (From Shenan Stanley MS MVP)
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

IE 8 Beta Warning - Windows XP Service Pack 3(SP3) users only:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002: (From Shenan Stanley MS MVP)
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

XP SP3: Post Installation Cleanup:
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33827

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of
Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support
(Via Email, Chat or Phone support)

ISO image - used to create install CD:
(You must have CD burning software that can use an ISO as source)

Availability of the .NET Framework 1.0 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix
Describes the .NET Framework 1.0 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix rollup package
for the Mscorwks.dll, Mscorsvr.dll, and Mscorlib.dll files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896061/en-us

How to prevent SP3 from being installed on your PC
(Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit)
(Works for 1 year from date SP3 was released) also read:
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525/en=us
(See the section titled: Turn Off Automatic Updates)
Then each time you go to the Windows Update site choose
the "Custom" option. You can now pick and choose what
updates you want to install.

Just some of the SP3 Issues:
(see the next to last entry in this list for more issues)

Windows XP SP3 Issues and Fixes Continued:
(Note: there is a section of this article devoted to System Restore points,
read it!)
http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/0...o-not-install/

After you create Windows XP Service Pack 3 slipstreamed media, your product
key is not accepted
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722/en-us

XP SP3: Registry Corruption & Norton SymProtect:
Symptoms: After installing XP Service Pack 3,
Device Manger is empty; the Network Connections panel is empty;
there are no Network connection icons; and/or there is problematic
or no Wireless or Ethernet connectivity;
the Safely Remove Hardware icon no longer appears;
USB devices no longer function, including mice.
You may not have all of these symptoms, only some of them.
Solution: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The Address toolbar no longer appears on the taskbar after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Describes why the Address toolbar is no longer visible on the taskbar
A workaround (this is not a fix - the address bar is gone) for this missing
functionality is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951448/en-us

MuvEnum Address Bar:
A replacement for the missing address bar after installing SP3:
http://www.muvenum.com/products/freeware/

Restore the Address Bar in Windows XP SP3:
http://blog.ryantadams.com/2008/05/0...indows-xp-sp3/
Note: I have not tried this as I'm still at SP2, so run at your own risk!

SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes from standby
or from hibernation,
or you receive an error message when you try to put the computer in standby
or in hibernation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447/en-us

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791/en-us

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not
show any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979/en-us

Changes to the 802.1X-based wired network connection settings in Windows XP
Service Pack 3
Describes that the AuthMode and SupplicantMode registry entries are no
longer used in
Windows XP Service Pack 3 for a 802.1X-based wired network connection.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949984/en-us

You cannot connect to an 802.1X wired network after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 3
Problem in which you cannot connect to an 802.1X wired network.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953650/en-us

If you have hotfix 885222 applied on a Windows XP SP2-based computer,
and then you upgrade to Windows XP SP3,
an installed 1394b FireWire device reverts from S400 speed to S100
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955408

Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
"Service Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error
occurred"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384/en-us

Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation fails with an error message, and the
following error is logged in the service pack installation log: "8007F0F4 -
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED"
You must take one of the actions that are described in this article to
resolve this issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388/en-us

The Authentication tab is missing in the properties dialog box of the wired
network adapter after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950725/en-us

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
"Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/en-us

You do not have enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to install Service
Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
"Setup has detected that another update is in progress Please complete that
installation or removal and try again"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949381/en-us

Error message during every restart after you install Windows XP Service Pack
3:
"The procedure entry point apsSearchInterface could not be located in the
dynamic link library wlanapi.dll"
Describes a situation in which you receive an error message every time that
you restart a Windows XP-based computer.
Specifically, this problem occurs after you install Windows XP Service Pack
3 (SP3).
A resolution is provided: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950720/en-us

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than
an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service
Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356
This is the patch to fix the above issue "For non-Intel processors"
***Must be applied before installing SP3***

You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

From: Jesper Johansson's blog
Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?
(Affects AMD-based computers with OEM images, primarily HP Desktops)
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

A blank desktop may appear when you log on to a Windows XP-based computer:
(Hotfix for SP2 and SP3)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948277/en-us

Event ID: 5603 occurs when you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1,
Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915148/en-us

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
(This KB article may also solve SP3 Windows Update will not work problem)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

Problems occur after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 or
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 with a Norton 2008 product installed:
Info and Fix:

The print operation fails, or partial pages are printed when you try to
print to a Citizen printer or to an Alps printer

Custom settings in the Oobeinfo.ini file are lost after you upgrade a
computer to Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953651/en-us

Error message when you try to use the "Files and Settings Transfer" Wizard
to import settings on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 3:
"Your migration store was created with a previous version of Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950728

Windows Installer 4.5
(supports SP2 and SP3)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

The long list of things you don't want to know about Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...mm=1&spid=1173

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

> the error message was failed to install and the last four digits were
> 4600A I
> would have to go back though the whole install to pickup any more info
> thank
> you duffydawson
>
> "JS" wrote:
>
>> Was there an error message when it failed to install.
>> If so please post, if not try to provide as much
>> information on how it failed.
>>
>> JS
>> http://www.pagestart.com
>>

>> "duffydawson" <duffydawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > sp 3 failed to install completly amd messed up my computer
>> > uninstalling
>> > Ken
>> > using xp home. what can i do to get this installed?

Shenan Stanley

Re: sp 3
duffydawson wrote:
> sp 3 failed to install completly amd messed up my computer
> uninstalling Ken using xp home. what can i do to get this
> installed?

I'm guessing here - I mean the name "Ken" was seemingly thrown in there at a
random time - there seems to be just a jumble of words really. But...

Since all you have told us is that you use Windows XP Home and I *think* you
mentioned "AMD" (or you misspelled "and")...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

dlsayremn

Re: sp 3
One of the things they have been suggesting in the XP forum is to install in
Safe Mode after downloading the installation file.

"JS" wrote:

> [...]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950728
>
> Windows Installer 4.5
> (supports SP2 and SP3)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
>
> The long list of things you don't want to know about Service Pack 3:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...mm=1&spid=1173
>

> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
>
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "duffydawson" <duffydawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the error message was failed to install and the last four digits were
> > 4600A I
> > would have to go back though the whole install to pickup any more info
> > thank
> > you duffydawson
> >
> > "JS" wrote:
> >
> >> Was there an error message when it failed to install.
> >> If so please post, if not try to provide as much

JS

Re: sp 3
I haven't tried Safe Mode but I have installed SP3
on a test PC in what I would call close to a "Clean Boot"
without problems.

JS

"dlsayremn" <dlsayremn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> to import settings on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack
>> 3:
>> "Your migration store was created with a previous version of Files and
>> Settings Transfer Wizard"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950728
>>
>> Windows Installer 4.5
>> (supports SP2 and SP3)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
>>
>> The long list of things you don't want to know about Service Pack 3:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...mm=1&spid=1173
>>

>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
>>
>> JS
>> http://www.pagestart.com
>>

>> "duffydawson" <duffydawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the error message was failed to install and the last four digits were
>> > 4600A I
>> > would have to go back though the whole install to pickup any more info

Re: sp 3
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/