Windows Update redirects to msn

Ana

Windows Update redirects to msn
Hi,

I have a problem with Windows Updates. I get automatically redirected to
msn.com. I also cannot download pretty much anything else from microsoft.
I found some sites saying it could be a virus called Vundo but I don't have
any popups or registry key entries typically associated with that virus. I
ran AVG, Symantec, trendMicro and Microsoft's own online scan. None of them
picked up any viruses or spyware.
Someone else suggested that it may be a problem with one of the windows
updates I installed previously (they weren't specific on which one though). I
currently have Service Pack 3.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn
If it walk likes a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Windows Updates. I get automatically redirected to
> msn.com. I also cannot download pretty much anything else from microsoft.
> I found some sites saying it could be a virus called Vundo but I don't
> have
> any popups or registry key entries typically associated with that virus. I
> ran AVG, Symantec, trendMicro and Microsoft's own online scan. None of
> them
> picked up any viruses or spyware.
> Someone else suggested that it may be a problem with one of the windows
> updates I installed previously (they weren't specific on which one
> though).
> I currently have Service Pack 3.
>
> Any suggestions. Thanks.

Sub Zero

RE: Windows Update redirects to msn
Hi ,
I am getting the same problem,
have you got the solution for this problem ,
If u got the solution plz reply to me

"Ana" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Windows Updates. I get automatically redirected to
> msn.com. I also cannot download pretty much anything else from microsoft.
> I found some sites saying it could be a virus called Vundo but I don't have
> any popups or registry key entries typically associated with that virus. I
> ran AVG, Symantec, trendMicro and Microsoft's own online scan. None of them
> picked up any viruses or spyware.
> Someone else suggested that it may be a problem with one of the windows
> updates I installed previously (they weren't specific on which one though). I
> currently have Service Pack 3.
>
> Any suggestions. Thanks.

WindowsUser1957

RE: Windows Update redirects to msn
I had the same problem. After spending a couple of hours with microsoft
support scanning, creating a new user (that had IE6) the solution was to go
to:
Control Panel/
Nework connections/
Locan Area Connection/
Properties/
select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/
Properties/
Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically" (I had "Use the following
DNS server addressess checked with server addressess entered)
That fixed the problem. Support told me that the setting was set/changed by
my ISP but i'm not sure if that is true. It may have been some adware that
changed it. In a scan I found an Adware. file in my registry and deleted it.
There were so many things we tried before finally changing the DNS server
setting that I am not sure if changing the DNS setting was the only thing
that corrected the problem but that is where I would start. We had
uninstalled IE7 (couldn't uninstall through Add/Remove software however) and
created a new administrative user that defaulted to IE6. I have since
reinstalled IE7 and everything is working fine

"Ana" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Windows Updates. I get automatically redirected to
> msn.com. I also cannot download pretty much anything else from microsoft.
> I found some sites saying it could be a virus called Vundo but I don't have
> any popups or registry key entries typically associated with that virus. I
> ran AVG, Symantec, trendMicro and Microsoft's own online scan. None of them
> picked up any viruses or spyware.
> Someone else suggested that it may be a problem with one of the windows
> updates I installed previously (they weren't specific on which one though). I
> currently have Service Pack 3.
>
> Any suggestions. Thanks.

WindowsUser1957

"Sub Zero" wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am getting the same problem,
> have you got the solution for this problem ,
> If u got the solution plz reply to me
>

> "Ana" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with Windows Updates. I get automatically redirected to
> > msn.com. I also cannot download pretty much anything else from microsoft.
> > I found some sites saying it could be a virus called Vundo but I don't have
> > any popups or registry key entries typically associated with that virus. I
> > ran AVG, Symantec, trendMicro and Microsoft's own online scan. None of them
> > picked up any viruses or spyware.
> > Someone else suggested that it may be a problem with one of the windows
> > updates I installed previously (they weren't specific on which one though). I
> > currently have Service Pack 3.
> >
> > Any suggestions. Thanks.

ali.baghaei@gmail.com

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn
After reading many forums and just getting nothing, i resolved my same
problem with windows update.

i just updated my symantec antivirus and scanned "System Volume
Information" folder. it found some trojans there. then i could access
again to windows update. everthing sounds to be right.

cheer all
ali.b

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn
"Trojans" found in System Volume Information folder could not have caused
the problem...unless you used System Restore and selected one of the
"infected" Restore Points.

More likely is that your AV app detected and removed the *active*
infection(s) causing the problem.

ali.baghaei@gmail.com wrote:
> After reading many forums and just getting nothing, i resolved my same
> problem with windows update.
>
> i just updated my symantec antivirus and scanned "System Volume
> Information" folder. it found some trojans there. then i could access
> again to windows update. everthing sounds to be right.
>
> cheer all
> ali.b

tekstevo

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn

i had this problem.. reinstalled windows.. didnt work, then i ran
antimalware bytes it found rootkits and dns trojans, i hard set my
router and modem, iam now downloading from windows update! this drove me
crazy for three days! hope this helps somebody else!

--
tekstevo
tekstevo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tekstevo.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Foradman

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn

Hey I have the same problem but I also have Vundo. Also try this website
http://www.computing.net/answers/sec...rus/19365.html
it is a forum but it has one post which looks interesting. If you don't
think you have Vundo download,install, and run Avira

--
Foradman
Foradman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/foradman.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1045749.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

tekstevo

Re: Windows Update redirects to msn

i found the answer for me was spybot with updates.. then
antimalwarebytes antimalware.. then i downloaded comodo's internet
security with antivirus. my network is now clean! what a pesky bug this
has been! took over windows security center, and redirected me when i
went to windows update to msn.com so for anybody else having this
problem try the above! worked for me!