Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA

Charles

Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
Hi All:

We have several systems in our organization that needs this update. We
currently have to manually install it on workstations. I'm looking for a way
to deploy it out to our systems using SMS, GPO, or a script.

I tried SMS and the quiet option does not work. I cannot figure out how to
quietly install it. Is there a way to do this?

I have even fooled around with the files that get extracted to a folder in
the c:\ folder.

Is there a way to easily deploy this?

Thanks much,
Charles

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
Why bother at all? KB905474 is and always has been an optional update.s

Charles wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> We have several systems in our organization that needs this update. We
> currently have to manually install it on workstations. I'm looking for a
> way to deploy it out to our systems using SMS, GPO, or a script.
>
> I tried SMS and the quiet option does not work. I cannot figure out how
> quietly install it. Is there a way to do this?
>
> I have even fooled around with the files that get extracted to a folder in
> the c:\ folder.
>
> Is there a way to easily deploy this?
>
> Thanks much,
> Charles

Charles

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
My helpdesk engineer told me that there are several laptops that have not
been able to install the monthly Windows updates that we push to them every
month because it does not have WGA installed. Our helpdesk needs to manually
install it on the workstation before it is able to install any of the updates
we push monthly.

Charles

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why bother at all? KB905474 is and always has been an optional update.s
>
> Charles wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > We have several systems in our organization that needs this update. We
> > currently have to manually install it on workstations. I'm looking for a
> > way to deploy it out to our systems using SMS, GPO, or a script.
> >
> > I tried SMS and the quiet option does not work. I cannot figure out how
> > quietly install it. Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > I have even fooled around with the files that get extracted to a folder in
> > the c:\ folder.
> >
> > Is there a way to easily deploy this?
> >
> > Thanks much,
> > Charles

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
KB905474 should have nothing whatsoever to do with being able or not being
able to install "pushed" updates, Charles.

Are these updates being "pushed" via WSUS and/or SMS?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Charles wrote:
> My helpdesk engineer told me that there are several laptops that have not
> been able to install the monthly Windows updates that we push to them
> every
> month because it does not have WGA installed. Our helpdesk needs to
> manually install it on the workstation before it is able to install any of
> the updates we push monthly.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Why bother at all? KB905474 is and always has been an optional update.s
>>
>> Charles wrote:
>>> We have several systems in our organization that needs this update. We
>>> currently have to manually install it on workstations. I'm looking for
>>> way to deploy it out to our systems using SMS, GPO, or a script.
>>>
>>> I tried SMS and the quiet option does not work. I cannot figure out how
>>> quietly install it. Is there a way to do this?
>>>
>>> I have even fooled around with the files that get extracted to a folder
>>> in
>>> the c:\ folder.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to easily deploy this?
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> Charles

Charles

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
Monthly updates installation until this Windows Genuine is installed. We can
install Geniune manually but its too much to do. So looking for a way to
deploy it.

Do you know of a way? Are users out there asking about this?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> KB905474 should have nothing whatsoever to do with being able or not being
> able to install "pushed" updates, Charles.
>
> Are these updates being "pushed" via WSUS and/or SMS?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Charles wrote:
> > My helpdesk engineer told me that there are several laptops that have not
> > been able to install the monthly Windows updates that we push to them
> > every
> > month because it does not have WGA installed. Our helpdesk needs to
> > manually install it on the workstation before it is able to install any of
> > the updates we push monthly.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Why bother at all? KB905474 is and always has been an optional update.s

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Charles wrote:

> Monthly updates installation until this Windows Genuine is installed.

There seems to be a word missing from this sentence.

I repeat what PA Bear has already said: there is no need to install 905474 in
order to install other updates. If you are unable to install other updates,
this isn't the reason.

Harry.
Charles

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
Ok. Thanks guys. I'll get with my helpdesk engineer and see what the core
issue is. He may have assumed that it was the case....so did I. He did say
that after he manually installed WGA the updates installed ok....but I will
check it out further.

Thanks much!

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Charles wrote:
>
> > Monthly updates installation until this Windows Genuine is installed.

> There seems to be a word missing from this sentence.
>
> I repeat what PA Bear has already said: there is no need to install 905474 in
> order to install other updates. If you are unable to install other updates,
> this isn't the reason.
>
> Harry.

Re: Need a Way to Deploy KB905474 WGA
What Harry said. [Thanks for jumping in, Harry. I was hoping you would.]

Repost:

Charles wrote:
> Monthly updates installation until this Windows Genuine is installed. We
> can install Geniune manually but its too much to do. So looking for a way
> to deploy it.
>
> Do you know of a way? Are users out there asking about this?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> KB905474 should have nothing whatsoever to do with being able or not
>> being
>> able to install "pushed" updates, Charles.
>>
>> Are these updates being "pushed" via WSUS and/or SMS?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Charles wrote:
>>> My helpdesk engineer told me that there are several laptops that have
>>> not
>>> been able to install the monthly Windows updates that we push to them
>>> every
>>> month because it does not have WGA installed. Our helpdesk needs to
>>> manually install it on the workstation before it is able to install any
>>> of
>>> the updates we push monthly.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Charles wrote:

> Ok. Thanks guys. I'll get with my helpdesk engineer and see what the core
> issue is. He may have assumed that it was the case....so did I. He did say
> that after he manually installed WGA the updates installed ok....but I will
> check it out further.

Note that 905474 is WGAN (Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications) which is
*not* the same thing as WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage).

What method are you using to install the monthly updates, anyway? WSUS?
Automatic Updates? Windows Update web site? I'm assuming this is Windows XP,
correct?

Harry.