Windows Update Error number: 0x800703E3

turtle*1

Windows Update Error number: 0x800703E3
Running Windows XP PRO SP3 and was informed that I did not have the latest
version of Windows Update when I tried updating yesterday. So as I have done
numerous times in the past I clicked on "Download and Install Latest Version".
The screen shows Downloading 0-100% then Copying Files 0-100% then I get an
error that says the Wesite encountered a problem and cannot display, blah,
blah, blah....

The Error number listed is 0x800703E3.

I have rebboted, tried from Safe Mode, tried using system restore to a
restore point about 2 weeks ago, all to no avail. Now every time I try
Windows Update, I get the same error message and Updating does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Windows Update Error number: 0x800703E3
The 0x800703E3 is only a symptom of the problem.

You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display
the requested page" error message when you try to install an update:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883614

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
site on a Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an
error and cannot display the requested page":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226

However, my CrystalBall© suggests that there's a very strong possibility
that you have a Vundo infection, which is usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or
SDBot infections, all of which are protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm