Changing Automatic update status

Jessica

Changing Automatic update status
I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?
Alias

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Jessica wrote:
> I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
> choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
> updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

If it's grayed out and it's set to not download or install updates, you
probably have malware.

Alias

Jessica wrote:
> I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
> choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
> updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

If it's grayed out and it's set to not download or install updates, you
probably have malware.

Alias
Jessica

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Okay. Oh yeah, I should mention, it's grey out set to Automatic. So, now
what? How can I change it? Simply allowing the updates to proceed
unchecked, has reeked havoc on my system more than once recently.

"Alias" wrote:

> Jessica wrote:
> > I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
> > choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
> > updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

> If it's grayed out and it's set to not download or install updates, you
> probably have malware.
>
> Alias

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Is Windows Live OneCare installed?

Is this a machine at work?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jessica wrote:
> I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
> choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
> updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

Jessica

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Windows XP Home SP2, no to Live OneCare (never would work properly), home
machine.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Is Windows Live OneCare installed?
>
> Is this a machine at work?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Jessica wrote:
> > I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
> > choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system handles
> > updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Open Start | Settings | Control Panel | Security Center: Is
everything/anything functional here?

What anti-virus application or security suite do you have installed? What
(if any)?

Was a Norton or McAfee application ever installed?
--
~PA Bear

Jessica wrote:
> Windows XP Home SP2, no to Live OneCare (never would work properly), home
> machine.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Is Windows Live OneCare installed?
>>
>> Is this a machine at work?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jessica wrote:
>>> I've opened the Automatic Updates window under Control Panel and all my
>>> choices are greyed out. Why? I want to change the way my system
>>> handles
>>> updates. How can I do it, if it's greyed out?

Jessica

Re: Changing Automatic update status
Everything is fine @ Security Center...except Automatic Updates. Anti-Virus
= Avast! and it works fine. I believe it's also supplying the firewall.
And, until this past July, Mcafee was intalled, and worked, most of the time,
firewall was finiky though.

Jessica

Jessica wrote:
> Everything is fine @ Security Center...except Automatic Updates. Anti-Virus
> = Avast! and it works fine. I believe it's also supplying the firewall.

Avast doesn't come with a firewall. So which firewall are you using?

> And, until this past July, Mcafee was intalled, and worked, most of the time,
> firewall was finiky though.

Did you uninstall it?

Alias