How can I stop downloads and go back to the pick list?

banjo@dontspam.silent.com

How can I stop downloads and go back to the pick list?
Hi,
The automatic update icon had said that updates were available (12 in
total). I click on the icon and got the list of updates which
included, amongst other items, IE6 security updates (which I want) and
the IE7 upgrade (which I don't want, yet). There were a couple of
others I didn't want. Then I accidentally whacked the Enter button to
download everything.

I turned off automatic updates which seemed to have stopped the
downloads but when I enabled automatic updates the downloads restarted
(or continued).

How can I stop the downloads completely and go back to the point where
it tells me that updates are available and lets me choose the ones I
want?

I'm using XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

Re: How can I stop downloads and go back to the pick list?
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect the updates you don't want to install and hide
them ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
-~~
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Banjo wrote:
> The automatic update icon had said that updates were available (12 in
> total). I click on the icon and got the list of updates which
> included, amongst other items, IE6 security updates (which I want) and
> the IE7 upgrade (which I don't want, yet). There were a couple of
> others I didn't want. Then I accidentally whacked the Enter button to
> download everything.
>
> I turned off automatic updates which seemed to have stopped the
> downloads but when I enabled automatic updates the downloads restarted
> (or continued).
>
> How can I stop the downloads completely and go back to the point where
> it tells me that updates are available and lets me choose the ones I
> want?
>
> I'm using XP Pro SP3.
>
> Thanks

banjo@dontspam.silent.com

Re: How can I stop downloads and go back to the pick list?
That worked perfectly, many thanks.

banjo

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:43:56 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
>Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>(Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
>2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
>Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>Close the window.
>
>3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>complete | Uncheck/deselect the updates you don't want to install and hide
>them ("Don't show me this update again").
>
>4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
>Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>(Starting the service will take a moment)
>
>How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>-~~
>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>Banjo wrote:
>> The automatic update icon had said that updates were available (12 in
>> total). I click on the icon and got the list of updates which
>> included, amongst other items, IE6 security updates (which I want) and
>> the IE7 upgrade (which I don't want, yet). There were a couple of
>> others I didn't want. Then I accidentally whacked the Enter button to
>> download everything.
>>
>> I turned off automatic updates which seemed to have stopped the
>> downloads but when I enabled automatic updates the downloads restarted
>> (or continued).
>>
>> How can I stop the downloads completely and go back to the point where
>> it tells me that updates are available and lets me choose the ones I
>> want?
>>
>> I'm using XP Pro SP3.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: How can I stop downloads and go back to the pick list?
YW & thanks for your feedback.

=====

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3